Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
I found out / was reminded of the importance of rest as well as activity.
Last week was very busy with both work and training.
By the end I felt bloody awful.

Two days later after a good rest and I feel so much better.

I recon that if I had of continued to train, I might of hurt myself.

Back to training on Tuesday and I’m looking forward to it again Smile

Yup. I'm doing nothing today, had a gentle stroll around the park I live next to, and that's it. Video games, telly, reading for me. Will slob tomorrow too, until i go running in the evening.

Absolutely hammered it on my bike last night, did my last drop at gone 11pm did 30+miles on top of the 65miles on Saturday.

Got time trials, and 10k races coming up. So, time to just stop, and be still. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran 9miles tonight, hamstring bit tight back of knee, but okay overall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

6.6k tonight, plus several loooooong uphill sections which I ran up instead of walked up. I have exceeded my miles for Race at Your Pace this month too.

I'm happy with that.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 22 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stretching exercises, followed by fast combinations last night.
Also some breakaways from an aggressor.
It’s bloody hard after a days work.

I need to retire Laughing

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:15 - 22 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT : oops double post Embarassed

Last edited by pepperami on 07:34 - 26 May 2019; edited 3 times in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 22 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Stretching exercises, followed by fast combinations last night.
Also some breakaways from an aggressor.
It’s bloody hard after a days work.

I need to retire Laughing

A simple line from a movie I watched recently kind of stuck with me, something along the lines of, "you're lucky being able to work out during the day". I'd feel luckier if I had a job Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:21 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just under 5 miles tonight. Thumbs Up
- This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:

nice one

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:

nice one

Considering I don't do running, and it's only the sixth run I'd done, and only started at the beginning of May, I'm liking this. Will be doing more running over the next two weeks as gym is out of bounds. Hoping to get a 10k done before I go back to the gym in two wks.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

another time trial today 22.6miles SPOCO - hilly and twisty

came 4th Shocked

averaged over 20mph on my roadie, and overtook and beat two guys on TT aero bikes Shocked

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've temporarily enemied mdp for trolling the health and fitness thread Rolling Eyes which has been going year in year out since I was a member, without any grief, though it has shifted away from weight lifting in recent years

Anyway, I've booked in to see a private physio on Tuesday. Want to sort out my hamstring, which gives me grief when I run.

Also, want to run an Ultra marathon later in the year. I've never run a marathon. Embarassed Laughing

Got a 10k race on Sunday, and a Half Marahon in Sept, and signed up for a 6hr run in Nov. Idea is do laps of a lake, each lap is 4.38 miles and is nice and flat. Each lap, get your card stamped, and as long as you do one lap you get a finishers medal, and there is aid/food station etc. Nothing after the 6 hours counts, part laps don't count.

So, I'll try and do 7 laps in 6 hours, means I have to run at an average of 5mph. So, could walk/run a bit of it.

And if I fail, well, I'll still have run further than I ever have, cos a half marathon is the most I've done before in an event.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
I've temporarily enemied mdp for trolling the health and fitness thread Rolling Eyes which has been going year in year out since I was a member, without any grief, though it has shifted away from weight lifting in recent years

Yep, we don't want all that in here. It ain't healthy!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I saw a private physio today. Money well spent.

I have weak legs. Embarassed Shocked Shocked Laughing

Hamstrings are weak, one very weak. They reckoned I damaged left leg reasonably seriously 2 years ago, and its healed itself a bit and scarred over.

They Asked loads and loads of questions, poked and prodded leg, and asked how ouchy it was etc etc

I Did a series of exercises, asked to see howI did xyz. Then got me to do a specific type of leg raise/bridge that demonstrated to me, the weakness of the left hamstring, as can do it two legged and right legged, but couldn't even move left legged.

Bunch of targeted exercises to do, and a follow up for 3 weeks. Been limited to 9miles per run max until the next visit.

Ran 9 miles tonight. Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:04 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Well, I saw a private physio today. Money well spent.

I have weak legs. Embarassed Shocked Shocked Laughing

Hamstrings are weak, one very weak. They reckoned I damaged left leg reasonably seriously 2 years ago, and its healed itself a bit and scarred over.

They Asked loads and loads of questions, poked and prodded leg, and asked how ouchy it was etc etc

I Did a series of exercises, asked to see howI did xyz. Then got me to do a specific type of leg raise/bridge that demonstrated to me, the weakness of the left hamstring, as can do it two legged and right legged, but couldn't even move left legged.

Bunch of targeted exercises to do, and a follow up for 3 weeks. Been limited to 9miles per run max until the next visit.

Ran 9 miles tonight. Thumbs Up

They'd have some real fun with me.
Last time I saw a physio, they were manipulating my right leg and discovered that the knee will bend in the wrong direction - young physio ran off to get her supervisor to take a look Laughing
She also said, "what's that lump on your left shin?"
"Muscle" says I.
She didn't believe it until I flexed the leg a few times. A long time spent limping, favouring the right leg after breaking it had built it, still bigger than the other side.
And that's just the legs Laughing

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 01 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did Parkrun last week and then again today, I haven't run at all during the week and my run time was a whole two minutes slower than last week.

How the hell did I get that bad during the week?!?!? I know it was incredibly hot this morning but still, that shouldn't slow me down that much. My legs felt like jelly Sad

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 01 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've fvcked one of my fingers doing a strength exercise.
Something's popped out of place, there's no major swelling or pain, just a dull ache.
I can move it but I can't quite make a tight fist or grip things tightly.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:41 - 01 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
I did Parkrun last week and then again today, I haven't run at all during the week and my run time was a whole two minutes slower than last week.

How the hell did I get that bad during the week?!?!? I know it was incredibly hot this morning but still, that shouldn't slow me down that much. My legs felt like jelly Sad

I would've thought the heat would make quite a difference? To the point where it catches people out and they can end up in quite dire straits from dehydration, heat stroke etc.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 01 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm flat out busy with work for a change. Weights falling off me. No time for food, too much to do. 1 meal a day. Sorted.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 01 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip YFPOS wrote:
I would've thought the heat would make quite a difference? To the point where it catches people out and they can end up in quite dire straits from dehydration, heat stroke etc.

I had water with me and sipped it on the way round, plus I had plenty to eat and drink yesterday. I thought I would be a little slower but not that much slower and I walked a lot of it today. I'm just really disappointed with that one. I logged it on Strava but I am not sharing it with my run club, they'll disown me!

Hydrovests - yay or nay? Holding a water bottle is becoming a chore.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 02 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:

I think I might get one of those belts, with two small bottles either side.

Today, I did the 5th annual Run Bedford 10k it was about 20 degrees when we set off. Don't yet have the official chip time, but my strava has it at 48:40 Quite pleased with that. My pb on this course is about 46:30 - but that was 3 years ago, I was a a few pounds lighter, and I felt ill for the rest of the day.

Could've gone a bit quicker - but.. I have work tonight, 4 hours deliveroo.

edit: 10k chip time 48:18 Very Happy

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:39 - 04 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:

I have been using a bladder in my backpack a lot more when on the mountain bike and I have to admit, it is really handy.

A small pack for running would actually be pretty effective and free up your hand which should improve your form a touch?

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 04 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a 10k (not an official one), 6.4 miles in my local area. That was an eye opener Laughing

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 30 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bit of a break from running, then a few less than stellar runs but I think I may have finally found my stride!

5k chipped race today: Strava time 36:01, chip time 35:49. And I walked a bit of it because it was so bloody hot.

My issue now seems to be less getting out of breath and more my legs feel like jelly at around halfway so I need to work on distance now. So to help out I have booked in a 5mile race next weekend.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 30 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

had built up to running 10+miles three times a week, as well as cycling between 150 and 250 miles a week, but got sore legs and skipped running this weekend

managed a sub 22minute 5k park run, should've got another one at a flatter course, but ran there and back also, and got a 22:10

signed up to do an "ultra 5k" in a fortnight, every hour on the hour, run 5k, five times

Cycling, not so good, lost my TT mojo, and been marshalling instead of competing, as I hit a plateau, and can't seem to get any quicker.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 273 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 26 of 29