Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New "old" person saying hello!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Steve_W
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:10 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: New "old" person saying hello! Reply with quote

Hello all, I thought I'd better introduce myself properly after posting my first post in the Workshop and tell you a little bit about myself.

I'm Steve, from Salisbury (Novichok central Laughing ) and I'm 47 years young Smile

I'm back owning a bike after a 29 year hiatus. I decided I wanted to re-live my youth and in February I bought a 1984 A-reg Suzuki GP100, very similar to the one I owned 30 years ago when I was 17! It's 3 years newer (mine was an old W reg) but that aside it's almost identical.

Like a fool I didn't bother "doing my part 2" back in the day once I passed my driving test (passed that way back in 1989!!) so have had to do my CBT and am stuck with L plates for now until next year. (I am planning on doing my DAS but am getting married again in October so all the rest of my spare cash will be going on that for now - but I aim to get my full licence and ditch the L plates next year at some point).

I may or may not end up with a bigger bike once I've passed my test, but the main reason I'm doing it is to get rid of the L Plates Laughing - either way I am keeping this GP100 until I'm too old to ride it any more.

I wanted something to "tinker" with, couldn't really justify/afford spending thousands on a classic car, so thought a little two -stroke time warp would fit the bill.

Loving it so far, brings back a lot of happy memories. It does have a bit of an issue though that I'm working my way through trying to fix, but for me this is half the reason I bought it - to have something to mess about with on the road AND in the garage that I don't need for my main transport, so it doesn't matter if I don't get it fixed in a day/week/or even month!

If you're still reading and haven't fallen asleep yet, thanks for taking the time to read my "hello" post - I decided to join because your forum popped up during a lot of my googling about my current issues, with some helpful ideas, so thought I'd join rather than just be a lurker Thumbs Up
Travis This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Steve_W
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:07 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Nah, this is second time round with regard to getting married. I made the mistake the first time so learned from that one. Although I do have two daughters that I wouldn't have had, so it wasn't all bad.

They're both in their late teens now and as much a drain on my resources now as they were when they were babies Laughing Wink

My first car was a 1983 Cortina Crusader. Tell you what, I wish I'd had a barn to keep all my old 1980s cars in, I'd be worth a fortune now! Shocked

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:50 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. I'm older than you. Razz

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, I'm just up the road in Tidworth.

Lower the wedding budget and do DAS, she won't mind Laughing
Travis This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Steve_W
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:04 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Hello. I'm older than you. Razz
I've been having a browse around and it's nice to see I'm not the only "oldie"! Very Happy Laughing

Steve_W
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:07 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Hi Steve, I'm just up the road in Tidworth.

Lower the wedding budget and do DAS, she won't mind Laughing
Ah, not too far away. I grew up in Salisbury and moved away (only to Shaftesbury) when I got married in 1997.

Moved back here when I split with my ex in 2014. Then filed for divorce, which cost me a blimmin fortune. Was renting when I first moved back but myself and fiancee have been saving for the last 3 years or so and finally got back on housing ladder late 2018.

Otherwise I'd have bought a bike even sooner. But glad I waited really as at least I now have a garage to keep it in Smile

I mentioned your suggestion to her....not sure she's keen on that idea Laughing Twisted Evil

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:35 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome.
A Suzuki gp100 is a fine little bike.

Steve_W
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:20 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Welcome.
A Suzuki gp100 is a fine little bike.
Thank you Smile

Yes, I'm happy with it, have wanted one for a while and once we bought the new house and I finally had a garage I thought it was time! Been waiting long enough....

Here's my little time warp (I hope posting pics is allowed? if not I'll remove it)....

https://i.ibb.co/3dDBVs3/GP100-1.jpg

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:36 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve_W wrote:
(I hope posting pics is allowed? if not I'll remove it)

Much easier to fap over bike pr0n if you can see it. I never was one for reading the "stories" in the magazines Wink

Steve K
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:36 - 02 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like that Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:48 - 03 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there and belated welcome, plenty of oldies on this forum, I am 52, based near Bath.

Love the look of your bike, is kind of thing I will be after soonish, my current stable consists of a 1999 Bandit 600 and a 1972 mobylette (49cc moped), I want something to straddle the extremes. Going to post about the moped and it's joys soon which should put me in line for a bunch of pisstakes Wink

The moped is more fun than it should be on country lanes, the Bandit is perfect for longer journey and bigger road, a 100ish cc vingtage 2stroke would slot somewhere nicely in the middle.

My wife hasn't quite realised how addicted I am since getting my licence last year (the penny is beginning to drop), I can envisage 5 or so bikes eventually to suit different purposes.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 328 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1