Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Any tips for a MT07?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:28 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Any tips for a MT07? Reply with quote

Got my pre-training assessment on Monday and the school is rocking MT07s. Any tips? I've heard they can be a bit toquey but are pretty manoeuvrable.

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:37 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

go easy on the clutch, let out quickly they go skywards quickly (which is fun if you expect it).
Don't over ride it or hustle it around corners it doesnt like it as the rear shock is soft, its a roadster and should be ridden as such.
Weight is at the upper half of the bike but that only concerns on low speed maneuvers, Use the back brake to help.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're a great starter bike. There's nothing scary about them. Linear power delivery, light, nimble. Will seem
superfast compared to your 125 but I'd bet there's not much in it weight wise between the two. I ride it's bigger
and far scarier brother and even that is only 40 odd kilos heavier than my 125 plastic fantastic scooter. Treat the
clutch like any other clutch, all bikes will wheelie or loop if you just chuck it out suddenly. Feel free to hustle it round
corners, they are made for that and have loads of grip. The shock is very easy to stiffen if needed with the preload adjuster.
Not that any of that will be an issue for training rides. You'll be taught how to drag the back brake for slow stuff as part
of your training, but you've been riding your 125 a while so I doubt it will faze you much.

Here's someone who can ride one throwing it into bend after bend.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:31 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm hoping that having a heavish lumbering 125 that the MT07 will feel like a refreshing change Smile

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah just checked, 181kg wet weight on the 07. My 09 is 188kg.

Dry weight of yours is 134kg. probably rising to 145kg ish with a full tank going on a weight of 6lbs per gallon of fuel
and a capacity of just under 4 gallons, plus whatever oil it has in it. I don't think you'll notice much extra weight at all tbh.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:37 - 31 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know what you think on Monday.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 31 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy it.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 03 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was interesting! If the MT07 is a finely balanced Katana my faux-cruiser is a toy rubber mallet! I can now appreciate I am at "moron level" riding a 125 Doh!

Whereas my Superlight has a light clutch and throttle and heavy shift and rear brake the MT07 is completely reversed. I must say the clutch on the bike I was riding was excellent: heavy but very precise Thumbs Up However at the same time I found it hard work maintaining the throttle around ~2k.

After about 15mins I had a go at snaking round some cones which turned out to be a lot easier than I thought it would be. Could only get it into 2nd gear on the test track really but shifting up and down was fine.

All-in-all a humbling experience. 10/10 would be humbled again Cool

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 03 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not altogether surprised - we've all been there. Thumbs Up

I do get it, about the cruiser thing. When I was riding on a CBT, the dream for me was a Yamaha SR125. Really. I thought everything about that bike just did it for me and it sort of saved face in a way in which a scooter or a CG never could. Laughing Never rode one, though.

Later I came to realise that the general public really likes the look of cruisers. Not sure why that is, but who cares. The design means they don't handle so well either slowly or at speed. Some people need one because they're getting older and their joints aren't what they used to be, but they still want to ride. Others because its fits an image to which they aspire, or because their buddies ride one. That's fine, but generally, people seem to settle on one after their riding career has peaked, and is set in a decline. This generally (but not always) happens after having ridden many other types of bike. There is also a class of people who like the idea of owning a cruiser, and so they buy one but they don't ride it - it lives in their garage all the time. No exaggeration - this is the biggest cruiser group.

As you have now found out, a bigger bike is easier to hustle around a few cones because of the stability thing, and the upright feet-under-you format makes it easier to maneuvre a bike because it's simply a better design. Not to mention that the first time you experience that power on a big bike, winding it on up to just 60mph, is sheer exhilaration. We know.

It will be interesting to see which bike you buy as a first big bike.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 03 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

The design means they don't handle so well either slowly or at speed. Some people need one because they're getting older and their joints aren't what they used to be, but they still want to ride. Others because its fits an image to which they aspire, or because their buddies ride one. That's fine, but generally, people seem to settle on one after their riding career has peaked, and is set in a decline. This generally (but not always) happens after having ridden many other types of bike. There is also a class of people who like the idea of owning a cruiser, and so they buy one but they don't ride it - it lives in their garage all the time. No exaggeration - this is the biggest cruiser group.

Really, don't handle well, granted, some can be a bit limited on ground clearance, but, as for handling, not really sure what you're getting at there, oh well.. Perhaps some people own cruisers because they like them, just a thought. I will say, for the most part they aren't great for filtering, mainly due to the width of the handlebars, but they can be very comfortable, the sort of comfortable that means you can ride 500 miles plus a day, day after day.

I've owned a variety of cruisers, amongst other bikes, I really did like my VTX1300, stepson now has 1, and, I like my ST7. I do tend to use the ST7 more as a toy though. Other main bikes recently have been CF650TR, great for motorway commuting in any weather, Mash 400, recently replaced by RE Interceptor, for the majority of riding whether it be for leisure, shopping or commuting, and, the ST7 for when I'm feeling lazy.

Has nothing to do with age, have never been interested in sports bikes etc. As I have gotten older, I have tended to drop down the bhp a little, however, having said that, any of my bikes are perfectly capable of being ridden fast enough to lose my license.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 03 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Really, don't handle well, granted, some can be a bit limited on ground clearance, but, as for handling, not really sure what you're getting at there, oh well..

Handling: the ability to maneuvre around turns at various speeds. Cruisers have to compromise on handling or else they won't look like cruisers at all. You don't have to be a speed demon to benefit from upright bikes' handling. For example, bike schools generally don't use cruisers because upright bikes will go around the cones for Mod 1 easier.

An example of a handling feature: swingarm design and angle relative to the ground affects how the bike behaves (rake and trail) when throttle is applied through a turn. Some top-of-the-line cruisers (Triumph or Ducati) will compensate for this by having a non-cruiserish swingarm and monoshock, but this isn't commonplace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7GJMH0DtXg

Another example: chassis stiffness. A traditional tubular steel frame chassis is inferior to more modern chassis type, such as box-section (a major 1980s innovation in sports bikes), trellis frame (traditionally on Ducatis, but now found in many types of bike), engine as stressed member, etc. OK, the Ducati Diavel has a trellis frame, but other cruisers compromise on frame design to achieve the look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id7UZ3iws40

Quote:
Perhaps some people own cruisers because they like them, just a thought.

Has nothing to do with age, have never been interested in sports bikes etc. As I have gotten older, I have tended to drop down the bhp a little, however, having said that, any of my bikes are perfectly capable of being ridden fast enough to lose my license.

Competition generated several forms of bike style you can choose today. Sports bikes were forged in the heat of competition but they're not the only ones. Also enduro, cross-country, trials bikes, etc. These types of bikes were not invented based on how they looked or how they made people feel. They were invented to do a job.

Just looking at sports bikes - they will always be the best-handling-at-speed bikes you can buy, by a mile. This is not only because of their engines but because of their frame and chassis design, tyres, rake and trail, shocks, everything... I saw a video of one of Barry Sheene's old RG500s the other day. You know what it had? Steel tubular cradle chassis, twin rear shocks, rectangular-section swingarm. Not a single sports bike you can buy today has these inferior design features, because they lose races against more modern designs. Cruiser development isn't based on competition - you can still get all of those old-hat inferior design features in a brand-new cruiser today.

I like to chuck around old bikes, less powerful bikes that let you open the throttle wide and take a corner without punishing you unduly for being jerky or doing stupid things. It's a lot of fun. However, my criterion of having "fun" on a hilly windy road is not a competition characteristic and doesn't mean my bikes are as good as anything out there. I know a couple of roads where there is a downhill windy section and plenty of traction - best I could take that section on any bike is about 40-50mph and you could have fun on it with just a C90. Only on that section, mind, so it's horses for courses.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 03 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

Competition generated several forms of bike style you can choose today. Sports bikes were forged in the heat of competition but they're not the only ones. Also enduro, cross-country, trials bikes, etc. These types of bikes were not invented based on how they looked or how they made people feel. They were invented to do a job.

And none of those above type of bike interest me in the slightest, which is good, be boring if we all liked the same. I think forged in the heat of competition is a tad ham dram Smile Makes them sound like Thor's hammer Smile .

I get what you mean, however, even faired bikes, tried with a Diversion, which was awful, and the CF650TR, which is good at what it is, with great weather protection to boot, however, I've come to the conclusion, faired bikes just aren't for me. Too much effort to take everything off when it comes to servicing time.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 03 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mt07 is not a cruiser. They travel the oceans taking old people to ports. That's why foot forward lazy handling bikes are called cruisers. They do that. Footpeg position is different on soooo many cruiser 'style' bikes..

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:49 - 03 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very light taps of the feet on the MT07. I'm used to... well not stamping exactly but at least robustly engaging the gear or brake on the Superlight Smile

I'm sure there are better bikes out there but for the weight, balance and precision I'd love to know if there's a better bike for a n00b to learn on.

Anyhoo, looking forward to the next training session!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 328 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1