Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic : View next topic  

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip YFPOS wrote:
Shaft wrote:

The starter thing was pretty fundamental, the clutch used to pack up and it happened with alarming regularity, that coupled with the fact that Honda decided to engineer out a kick start and the FT very quickly got a reputation for being trouble.

I believe there's a fix for it now, but then it was enough of an issue that it killed sales.

Which begs the question, why were you trying to buy one? Laughing
Ok, there's a fix (for what? clutch? starter motor? both?), but are the parts still available? Chances are they've all been sorted? (Thinking) Or is it just a collector's kind of deal you're into them for?

I read that the rocker cover doesn't use a gasket, and you can't fit one due to clearance issues or something - peculiar. Apparently something like Yamabond will seal it for a while...

Supposed to be quite fun to ride though Smile

The fix is current (you replace an easily available spring and fill the housing with grease) and make sure you keep the battery well topped up.

Some people go down the road of converting them to added kick start (my XL600R experience that had a similarly shit starter would suggest this isn't a bad idea) but I probably wouldn't go that far.

But my main motivations were I always thought it was a great looking bike and I rode one once and thought it was brilliant fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 08:31 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip YFPOS wrote:

I read that the rocker cover doesn't use a gasket, and you can't fit one due to clearance issues or something - peculiar. Apparently something like Yamabond will seal it for a while...

Supposed to be quite fun to ride though Smile

Same thing on the CB250RS. Rocker cover uses a smear of sealant, and they all leak a bit of oil.
It isn't that big a problem in reality. They spray out just enough oil to make your left boot and the top of the engine dirty, but nowhere enough to be a problem for engine life. Oil change is every 1000 miles, so you don't get much of a chance to run it dry in that time.

Modern sealants and a properly clean gasket surface help. My 250 appears to be holding using a thixotropic sealant from loctite - it stays liquid until clamped with no oxygen, so any overspill on the engine side doesn't turn into lumps that will clog stuff.

merquis00
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/HcVeGF7.jpg

Granted... a main reason you dont see them is because most DNA's disintegrated the day the MOT reminder came through the door.

plus... it had a scooter engine Thumbs Down
also..it had more electrical gremlins than the sequel movie of the same name..and was less well received

But it was a funky idea at the time.

Atomic Punk
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:50 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had three of the bikes in this thread, The CB550 unfaired version, used it for dispatching, the TDR250 great fun, an the FT500 for one day only as a Volvo driver thought it would be a good idea to turn right in front of me wreaking the bike and sending me supermaning over his bonnet.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:19 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My youngest daughter had a Gilera DNA50 when she was 16. She adored it.

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:19 - 07 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainly because they're the ones I wanted in my youth, but I can't remember the last time I saw an...

AR80
RG250 (mk 3)
GPz750 uni-track (or turbo / 550 / 1100)
Gilera Nordwest
YZF750 (sp)
I had a slab sided GSXR750 many, many years ago but last saw an 1100 about 2 years ago
FZR600 (or 1000) with the rectangular head light (my 600 was fun but the single ring race pistons used to burn oil like a 2 stroke...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 318 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4