Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New to UK biking

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Alex34
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:38 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: New to UK biking Reply with quote

Hello all, just looking for some advice and information on how to approach acquiring a full A license in as short a time and as least costly as possible.

To give you some background, I'm 39 years old and I've started riding motorcycles(legally) in America from the age of 16 and actively rode until the age of 28. I've also had my full drivers license(car) from the age of 16 and I have driven and rode in a few different countries. I've owned several bikes over the years, mainly supersport bikes like Honda F3s, CBR 900s, R6s and R1s.
I've stopped actively riding after getting older / married and after moving to the UK in the end of 2009. I've had my full UK license(car) since 2010 and have always intended to get my bike license but have been a victim of procrastination. Smile

Where I stand at the moment is I intend to get a Yamaha MT 09 or Kawasaki Z900 and trying to figure out the best way for me to manoeuvre the whole licensing process. I don't want the process to drag out as I'm usually very busy with work, etc and fear it will fall victim to procrastination again. On the other side of the coin, I don't want to pay a ridiculous amount of money just to get a motorcycle license (ie, £1000+).

Knowing what you guys know, if you were in my shoes how would you go about obtaining a license?

Also, I know very well that licensing processes are a huge money maker in the UK and most other countries, is it possible to do all of the testing successfully on my own(bar CBT and bike hire for the practical tests)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy an A-licence suitable bike, and since you have plenty of US riding experience, I'd just pay for a CBT course using a hired bike first. Get theory tests out of the way, and then book a mod1 and mod2 test on your own bike. If your comfortable on it and find Riding and driving in the UK ok, you may as well go direct to test and see what happens?

You'll need an official way of transporting your own bike to the test centre, and I'm sure the UK now has some daft laws regarding you can't insure your 900 until you have passed your test, yet it's OK to use a training school bike?

A couple of tests and a bit of hassle is cheaper than a 3-5day DAS course, but arguably it's not such a great way to learn riding skills. Then again if you get the bit of paper that says you have a licence, you could always spend a few £££ on post test advanced training when time permits?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:42 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough, you can't convert your US license to a UK one.

When I say funny, its because you lot can't drive for shit.

Marlin
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:02 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: New to UK biking Reply with quote

I've been in the same position.
Your US license rightly counts for nothing, but your ability to ride sould make things easy.
DAS simlpy means that as you're old enough, you're allowed to go staraight to the A test.

There is a difference between being able to ride and knowing/doing what the examiners want to see, so some training is probably
worthwhile. What I did was cheap and low hassle:
Find a trainer or training school that'll give you just what you need.
I found someone who charged by the hour and did just what I needed spread over a few weeks:
CBT (on an A/big bike)
Hour lesson.
MOD 1 test.
Hour lesson.
MOD 2 test.

I then went out and bought a bike.

Getting your bike first and using it (without any training but CBT) might work and be cheaper, but it's more risk and hassle.

Oops, missed out theory: You'll also need to do the theory test sometime. I did it before the CBT.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:41 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step 1: CBT. Go to any school that's convenient, pay ~£80 and get certificate. Use their bikes. Complicated conversation if you want to use your own bike!

Step 2: Do theory test, costs £23 to book. Read up on highway code, do practice tests on DVSA website (this training costs nothing.)

Step 3: Book a 1 day (yes schools will do this if you convince them you've been riding big bikes for ages) with ~1 hour quick training before the actual Mod 1. Use their bike. Saves hassle with insurance, bike trailers etc. Costs variable depending on area but maybe less than £200.

Step 4: Do the same again with Mod 2 (but bear in mind if you book Mod 1 then Mod 2 back to back and you f*ck up Mod1 you may have wasted the money on the Mod 2 booking.)

Step 5: profit!

As a note on Step 3. I've just done a warm up 1 hour training on Mod 1 before I do a 2-day course (1 day training + 1 day quick training + test) and I could conceive if you knew big bikes well you might get away with an hour prep pre-test.

Yes you could save some money using your own bike over a training school's but it's a lot of hassle. Just bung 'em the money and let them line up the test and getting a bike over to the test centre.

Cars are much easier. My wife just used her own car (with me in the passenger seat) and just bowled up to the test with no training. Only took 5 attempts...

Alex34
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:02 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Buy an A-licence suitable bike, and since you have plenty of US riding experience, I'd just pay for a CBT course using a hired bike first. Get theory tests out of the way, and then book a mod1 and mod2 test on your own bike. If your comfortable on it and find Riding and driving in the UK ok, you may as well go direct to test and see what happens?

You'll need an official way of transporting your own bike to the test centre, and I'm sure the UK now has some daft laws regarding you can't insure your 900 until you have passed your test, yet it's OK to use a training school bike?

A couple of tests and a bit of hassle is cheaper than a 3-5day DAS course, but arguably it's not such a great way to learn riding skills. Then again if you get the bit of paper that says you have a licence, you could always spend a few £££ on post test advanced training when time permits?

Thanks.
I was wondering about this option but was sceptical about insurance etc. Will have a word with my insurer.

Alex34
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:12 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Yes, you are funny and probably from someone who's never even been to America. Bet I'd run circles around you though... on four wheels or two Wink

Alex34
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:23 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: New to UK biking Reply with quote

Marlin wrote:

There is a difference between being able to ride and knowing/doing what the examiners want to see, so some training is probably
worthwhile.

This is what I am thinking really. I remember I failed my car theory test the first time because I perceived the hazards "too early". Lol

Had to have a couple practice gos on the hazard perception before taking it again... it was more of knowing how to play the game than perceiving hazards.

Thanks.

Alex34
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:43 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Step 1: CBT. Go to any school that's convenient, pay ~£80 and get certificate. Use their bikes. Complicated conversation if you want to use your own bike!

Step 2: Do theory test, costs £23 to book. Read up on highway code, do practice tests on DVSA website (this training costs nothing.)

Step 3: Book a 1 day (yes schools will do this if you convince them you've been riding big bikes for ages) with ~1 hour quick training before the actual Mod 1. Use their bike. Saves hassle with insurance, bike trailers etc. Costs variable depending on area but maybe less than £200.

Step 4: Do the same again with Mod 2 (but bear in mind if you book Mod 1 then Mod 2 back to back and you f*ck up Mod1 you may have wasted the money on the Mod 2 booking.)

Step 5: profit!

As a note on Step 3. I've just done a warm up 1 hour training on Mod 1 before I do a 2-day course (1 day training + 1 day quick training + test) and I could conceive if you knew big bikes well you might get away with an hour prep pre-test.

Yes you could save some money using your own bike over a training school's but it's a lot of hassle. Just bung 'em the money and let them line up the test and getting a bike over to the test centre.

Cars are much easier. My wife just used her own car (with me in the passenger seat) and just bowled up to the test with no training. Only took 5 attempts...

Thanks.

I think the best way forward at this point then is to have a few chats with local training schools and see what I can work out.

Some really good info guys, many thanks!

Alex34
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:30 - 18 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty then. Thanks for all the advice guys. In the end I had to book a DAS course and did so with Lightning Pass in Oxford. Spent £600 for the course and tests but I'm glad to say all went well and I passed my Mod 2 test this morning.

The next bit of advice I'm asking is regarding insurance. Does the advance training certificates really count for anything when insuring a bike within the first year of having my motorcycle licences? I'm 39 years old and have had my US car and motorcycle license since 1996. I've had my UK full car driver's license for 10 years.
I know my US driving/riding history will more than likely count for nothing when insuring but will my age and UK car driving history help me to get a better deal if I had an advance riding certificate?
I'm looking at something in the 900cc to 1000cc range and new.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 18 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex34 wrote:
Does the advance training certificates really count for anything when insuring a bike within the first year of having my motorcycle licences?

Are you talking about an optional advanced training scheme like IAM or RoSPA?
If so, for insurance purposes I'd forget it - yes there are some insurers who might give you a few % discount, but assuming you're shopping around chances are there will be other insurers who don't take advanced qualifications into consideration but will give you a lower premium. But just go visit somewhere like www.confused.com and run the numbers with and without the qualification.

Alex34
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:31 - 18 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured. Thanks anyway.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 18 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex34 wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Yes, you are funny and probably from someone who's never even been to America. Bet I'd run circles around you though... on four wheels or two Wink

Inb4 nobby replies with....

https://www.zerto.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/517-challenge-accepted.jpg

ಠ_ಠ

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 18 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex34 wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Yes, you are funny and probably from someone who's never even been to America.

I have. Lived there for a few years, and travelled a fair part of it.

Most of you were fucking oblivious. Zero awareness of surroundings, other vehicles. It's shocking, and gets worse the further into cities you get.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 18 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like the UK and every other place i've been to.

The USA is our place of choice for roadtrips for good reasons.

1. It's mostly empty once you get out of the burbs
2. The speed limits are generally higher than here.
3. Price of fuel is cheap
4. Overtake / undertake - it just works.

Well done on passing your test - can't imagine any joy to be found riding around Oxford though. Best you head off to Wales Smile

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:15 - 19 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

FretGrinder wrote:

Pedal bike with trailer along the canal towpath after 6 pints.

Alex34
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:28 - 21 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
FretGrinder wrote:

Pedal bike with trailer along the canal towpath after 6 pints.

That's what track days are for Wink

Alex34
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:31 - 21 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

I have. Lived there for a few years, and travelled a fair part of it.

Most of you were fucking oblivious. Zero awareness of surroundings, other vehicles. It's shocking, and gets worse the further into cities you get.

And this differs from the UK how?

Alex34
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:42 - 21 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, insurance quotes online are bananas. Getting silly quotes for 1000 cc but even for stuff like the GSX S750 Which was £700 more than the Z900 from Bike Sure.

Think I will give some of the insurers a call directly and see if that changes anything. May just have to get an old bike for the first year or something.

Will insurers allow me to use the 9 years NCD I have on my car? Maybe worth swapping over if the total cost between the two works out better.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 21 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex34 wrote:
And this differs from the UK how?

The degree of it happening, it's not the odd thing to be shrugged off on your commute - it's everywhere, and it's much harder to pick likely suspects out to keep an extra eyeball on. There's also the "Insurance will take care of it" attitude to wiping us out, and the size of the vast majority of vehicles.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:54 - 21 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex34 wrote:
Anyway, insurance quotes online are bananas. Getting silly quotes for 1000 cc but even for stuff like the GSX S750 Which was £700 more than the Z900 from Bike Sure..

Welcome to trying to insure a bike without a licence for said bike. Bike sure are one of the only companies that do it but you will pay for it. It'd probably work out cheaper to do it through a training school.

If your riding ability is as you claim I would happily do it for £650 with my training school but its a bit of a travel for you. I'd do it with a 4 day course, 3 training days staggered over 4 days with mod 1 and mod 2 included.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 22 Jul 2019    Post subject: Insewerants Reply with quote

You're in a very awkward box.. experience means nothing. It's like any of us insuring a 2nd bike, no 'no claims' hurts. New licence as well means you're a risk. All your experience in usofa means very little. You could ring some companies and see if they'll do a better deal, but, for the sake of losing a days pay ringing around, it may be worth it!

Alex34
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:29 - 22 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="pinkyfloyd"]
Alex34 wrote:

Welcome to trying to insure a bike without a licence for said bike. Bike sure are one of the only companies that do it but you will pay for it. It'd probably work out cheaper to do it through a training school.

If your riding ability is as you claim I would happily do it for £650 with my training school but its a bit of a travel for you. I'd do it with a 4 day course, 3 training days staggered over 4 days with mod 1 and mod 2 included.

Cheers for the offer but I've got the UK license already. Passed my Mod 2 Thursday gone. I went through a training school in the end.

Alex34
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:43 - 22 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Insewerants Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
You're in a very awkward box.. experience means nothing. It's like any of us insuring a 2nd bike, no 'no claims' hurts. New licence as well means you're a risk. All your experience in usofa means very little. You could ring some companies and see if they'll do a better deal, but, for the sake of losing a days pay ringing around, it may be worth it!

Yeah, think I'm gonna have to call around and maybe speak to some brokers as well.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 277 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1