Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New biker looking at the Triumph Tiger 955i

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tony12345
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:43 - 09 Jun 2019    Post subject: New biker looking at the Triumph Tiger 955i Reply with quote

Hi after recently passing my bike test. I still haven't got my MZ500 back from the garage. Kept ordering the wrong part till I told them go to the main engine manufacturer website, no idea why they didnt try there first Sad, but thats another story lol.

I am now looking to buy a 2nd bike. Im using the MZ for running too and from work plus any running around local. Its alot easier to maintain and more ideal for short trips. The 2nd bike il be more for the weekend longer road trips etc. Im only interested in cruiser/tourer type bikes. I came up with a few and narrowed it down to two, I had a look at the HD 1 suited but wouldnt let me do a test ride "not in our policy" so he lost a sale. He did have a Triumph Tiger 1050, but that was way too large (bike not engine size) for me, I found one at another garage that had just come in as a trade in, a slightly smaller size the 955i, I have the opportunity to test ride it next week end. The only minor fault I can find with it is the height is a little too high. I Have a heavy build and 5` 10" but with slightly shorter legs Sad, I can reach the floor but on tip toe lol, I have done some homework on this bike already and the height of the seat can be lowered, some people already have, lowered the seat and dropped the suspension a little.
routine annual maintenance is mostly time consuming as it has to be stripped to get to the engine.

Are there any pit falls/ problems with these bikes? Im looking at a 04 with 30k on the clock, think it`s had one owner form new and been looked after also came in on a new set of tyres.
Most of the reviews I have read say its a well built bike and a good all rounder, most say its mostly for the taller rider, some have modded it for the shorter rider, but so far havent found any had or major faults with them.
Thanks for any info Smile.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 09 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soz can't chime in w/ any specifics but at the risk of telling you what you already know, I'd absolutely emphasise that as w/ any bike of that age I'd be wanting to know how well and how recently the chassis has been attended to (and expecting nothing much helpful in the form of concrete evidence, budgeting accordingly) . Especially stuff like fork oil and rear shock (if OEM can it be refurb'd?). But also swing arm bearings greased, and rear suspension linkage as well if applicable. True, decent tyres are a must and those seem to be covered from what you said. But if you're on a 15 year old bike that's seen a bit of weather, has a slightly notchy headstock and shittily maintained suspension front and back there's the distinct possibility it'll ride like a fucking dog. And that's before we even get to internals and cam out crap or whatever's needed in that dept. 30k isn't much in some respects - and yet half that can be an enormous distance if essential "details" have been scrimped on.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:22 - 09 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read on 955i engines snapping crankshafts. It was enough to make me walk away from a daytona955i I was very close to buying. Did not want to constantly worrying about potentially grenading the motor with the battery was low.

I'd think a tiger800/v-strom/versys/tracer would be worth looking at.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 09 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything i've read about 955i engines has been of good reliability. Constant cranking on a low battery can result in damage via the starter, but it's not a common everyday problem. My understanding is you'd need to be persistently hamfisted.
The 955i is also reprogrammable with freely available Tuneboy software if you fit a different end can, and there's a few Delboy videos on maintenance as he did have one for a bit.

They will all be older bikes now, but then they are not that much money.

Tony12345
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:05 - 09 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for comments, prices are ranging between 2 to 3.5k dep on age milage and extras,. This one is up for 3k with a few extras. It does look to be very well looked after, no scratches bangs flaking paint leaks etc, with extensive history, as it just came in so hadn't been prepared for sale. Going to have a 2nd view and a good look over with a test run. I did see his videos, seems pretty straightforward on maintenance, but more labour time stripping to get to engine. Hopefully shouldn't have any problems Smile

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A case of a bunch of moaning old woman though maybe?

All Triumph 955i engines snap cranks?
All early R6's destroy their liners?
All C-series ZX9R's destroy 2nd gear, and all thrashed early R1's jump out of gear?
Every VTR1000 snaps it's cam chain?

Is there any 10-20year old Japanese bikes actually worth buying at all? Or are we all scared little fuckers and insecuro's that feel like we need a warm comfort blanket around us all the time like a nice almost brand new bike on finance?

Maybe it's a Millenial thing, or just maybe no-one has a pair of balls left anymore. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:58 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look stevo - if that reach around you promised us all is off the table, just fucking well tell us. Screw all this passive aggressive shit.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 07:21 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll do you fine. As I recall, early ones suffered from catastrophic headstock weld failuires too if we're being super paranoid but I doubt you're going to be left sat in the road hanging onto a set of handlebars

As Trevor mentioned above check the consumables.

30k is an odd mileage figure. You can buy a 30k bike thast needs 3 discs, pads, calliper overhauls, a chain and sprockets, bearings and a fork overhaul. or you can get one where that's all recently been done. That lot adds up even if you do the work yourself.

My comment. You seem to be dead set on buying a bike from a specific dealers. From reading between the lines, one that supplies the level of service and customer engagement I've come to expect from motorcycle dealerships (ie,lazy, disinterested and you land up having to sort half the job out yourself). So why buy a bike off them?

I have alway either travelled a reasonable distance to get a bike or bought one off someone I know. So rather than settling for what your local guy has in and that would "do" and that doesn't even really fit you properly. Set yourself a budget and go see what's out there What's he asking for a 30k miles 955i? £2.5-3k? You can get a lot of motorcycle for that money.

I recently bought a CBR600F with only 7,000 miles on it that had been sat in a dry shed for 13 years for £1,500 off ebay. I did a 300 mile round trip to collect it. Admittedly, it needed a set of tyres, pads, fork seals and bushes, I stripped down and cleaned/greased the shock linkages and the carbs needed a clean out. So about another £350 of parts and a good full days labour but we've got a minted bike sat there now for well under £2k, even if I'd payed someone to do the work.

Incidentally, you say you're looking for a cruiser/tourer but a 955i is pretty much a sports bike (a heavy one, but still a sports bike). So on that basis, for around your budget you'll get a very tidy CB900 hornet or a CBF1000 with less than halfd the mileage of your 955i.

Get on biketrader for a start off. Stick in your budget, narrow down the cc range you're looking at then cut it down to a reasonable number of bikes to scroll through using the mileage. Not saying you need to buy one off there but it's a good way to see what's out there for your budget. You can select dealer sold bikes if you feel you need to.

Tony12345
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:43 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi stinkwheel, I have been looking since middle of last year, I did buy the bike I wanted, and was still looking for a 2nd bike,i know what ride type I wanted and have been through 100's of adverts Ebay etc. I'm not into Japanese bikes, I did my training on a Honda cbr600 I hated it, it was easy to get on and off but found the ride position too squashed up, I managed to narrow down to a few. It wasn't my intention to buy from a shop/garage though it was more practical, they had several bikes I was interested in, I eventually narrowed it down to 2. This used shop wasn't really helpful, very reluctant to wheel them out so I could sit on them. They also didn't have a policy to do a test ride so I went to the other shop near by, they had just sold the 1050 I wanted to look at closer though this one was way to big in overall size, but they had the 955 came in as a part exchange for 1050. This one was more my size, it did feel comfortable to sit on, same as my 125. I have the chance now to take it for a test ride see what it's like and have another good look over. As I said previously the bike looks in mint condition even for its age.

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch out if it a plastic tanked one some nearly melt if you put ethanol near them can only use better 97 ron fuel BP Shell Esso safely

Charging system issues on some disconnecting one head light helps !

Keep the oil full and clean and the chain well lobed (need lot slack )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tony12345
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:52 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

davebike wrote:

Keep the oil full and clean and the chain well lobed (need lot slack )

How much slack? I use the rule of thumb, 1" movement (1/2" either side of the centre line of chain) with a slight feeling of tightness on movement.

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Triumph say 40mm I tend to think 50 is better it got LONG travel suspension and the front sprocket and swing arm privet are well apart !

Tony12345
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info Smile

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got on one of these 955s today - by christ that clutch was heavy as fuck. couldn't get on with that.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:18 - 14 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one.

It was the most comfortable bike I have owned.

I absolutely loved it. I never had any trouble with it and sold it to finance my 1800 Goldwing.

It's one of only a couple or so bikes I ever regret selling.

https://i.postimg.cc/6QPyZtSk/P2280006.jpg

Tony12345
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:14 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just bought a 955i, they managed to drop the seat by an inch i can now reach the floor with out being on tiptoe lol. Very comfortable bike to ride, as a novice rider on large bikes, only used to 50 and 125cc,. It's very well balanced I didint struggle to control it unlike the Honda 600 I did my test on,. I could vertually keep the bike up at a near stand still with out putting a foot down, also the ride position is perfect for me,. So very happy with my purchase Very Happy

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the tank melted, the crank snapped, and have you disconnected the headlights to save the charging system? Wink

Tony12345
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:25 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Wink, they got to do some other minor alterations for me, also doing a thorough check over and giving it a good clean and polish, should be picking it up in a couple of weeks time Smile.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:55 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 288 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1