Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit: What do you think will happen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 393, 394, 395 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 07:03 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:
What if it turns out Brexit is actually impossible? Has anyone considered this?

There's more chance of you talking sense than leaving the EU being impossible. Thumbs Up

"See ya, we're not paying you anymore, bye". It's that simple.

The Irish border is the bit which is the problem.

Sajid Javid says he thinks the government should spend "hundreds of millions" to find a technological solution which is a nice idea but nothing has been said about how that could or would work. By his own admission, Javid has said that such a solution would require "hundreds of millions of euros, no one really knows because it hasn't been done before".

The border problem is only simple if you're willing for the IRA to make a come back.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:54 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fine, they aren't Muslims, so it's all gravy.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:23 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How exactly is Dover a hard border?

"A ‘hard border’ is the term used to describe checks on people and goods―and the staff, buildings and equipment needed to do that"

https://fullfact.org/europe/avoiding-hard-border-ireland/

"This is the only land border between the UK and the rest of the EU and at the moment there are no barriers and checks along it. The House of Commons Northern Ireland Affairs Committee described the border as having “unique political significance due to the history of Ireland and conflict in Northern Ireland.” "
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:09 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did they get rid of the passport control / immigration / customs / border force / security staff, buildings and equipment at Dover?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:21 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they do have the staff, buildings and equipment at Dover?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:43 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah yeah yeah, but they can still pull vehicles over at Dover to check who and what is in the vehicle?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:

I've always held the view, that if you have a labour MP or councillor then you live in a shxt place.

If you have a labour MP and a Conservative councillor, you can guarantee you live in the nice part of a shxt town.

If you have a labour councillor and you live in a town with a Conservative MP, my guess is you live on a council estate.

BTW Both my MP and Councillor is Tory.

Your point being?

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:10 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
How exactly is Dover a hard border?

"A ‘hard border’ is the term used to describe checks on people and goods―and the staff, buildings and equipment needed to do that"

https://fullfact.org/europe/avoiding-hard-border-ireland/

"This is the only land border between the UK and the rest of the EU and at the moment there are no barriers and checks along it. The House of Commons Northern Ireland Affairs Committee described the border as having “unique political significance due to the history of Ireland and conflict in Northern Ireland.” "

This is where common sense enters. There are no checks possible that are as frictionless as absence of checks. "Technical solution" is just another species in the Unicornidae family.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

One up for the unicorns:

Remainer MPs LOSE crucial vote on blocking No Deal by to 309 to 298: Early win for Boris Johnson as rebels FAIL to seize control of Commons timetable to foil hard Brexit - despite help from Speaker Bercow

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7131891/Remainer-MPs-stage-crunch-vote-TODAY-block-No-Deal-Brexit.html

I thought they'd already ruled that a no deal Brexit was illegal.
I suppose it's because that MP on the tag wasn't there to veto it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:30 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
One up for the unicorns:

Remainer MPs LOSE crucial vote on blocking No Deal by to 309 to 298: Early win for Boris Johnson as rebels FAIL to seize control of Commons timetable to foil hard Brexit - despite help from Speaker Bercow

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7131891/Remainer-MPs-stage-crunch-vote-TODAY-block-No-Deal-Brexit.html

I thought they'd already ruled that a no deal Brexit was illegal.
I suppose it's because that MP on the tag wasn't there to veto it.

Even with Bercow twisting the rules. They need to get rid of the slimy twat.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:46 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
What changes exactly, which forces a hard border the Leavers like you, are so desperate to use for an excuse to stop us leaving?

This is exactly it, no more, no less, just scrabbling around for another excuse not to leave.
The IRA card is another. Either the IRA are going to kick off again, or they're not. If they are, then this can be an excuse, but they'll find something else if it suits them. You DO NOT GIVE IN TO TERRORISM, or threats thereof. Once you start down that slippery slope, you end up like East Germany in the 70s, a haven for all kinds of looney groups.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip YFPOS wrote:
mpd72 wrote:
What changes exactly, which forces a hard border the Leavers like you, are so desperate to use for an excuse to stop us leaving?

This is exactly it, no more, no less, just scrabbling around for another excuse not to leave.
The IRA card is another. Either the IRA are going to kick off again, or they're not. If they are, then this can be an excuse, but they'll find something else if it suits them. You DO NOT GIVE IN TO TERRORISM, or threats thereof. Once you start down that slippery slope, you end up like East Germany in the 70s, a haven for all kinds of looney groups.

the whole thing is retarded, if anything, it'll be a hard border for trucks only, so only the wacko's in the IRA that should be shown up anyway will be upset about it
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:51 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would any of you want to man a border crossing on the NI ROI border? Shocked

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised no one's mentioned it but the solution to the "no hard border between NI & Eire" is just to move things...

There is a geographic hard border already: it's called the Irish Sea and the Atlantic. If NI/Eire is such a big deal then move the political EU border to match the geographic one and the border checks will be between Eire and the continental EU. Both sides of the border are then administered by the EU and nothing to do with the UK.

I think if Boris were to quietly suggest this we might see some blushes on the faces of the EU translation team!

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Would any of you want to man a border crossing on the NI ROI border? Shocked

I've been across that border many times, years before the GFA and they were tearing down the official checkpoints even then.

It's one of those borders that, if you want to cross it you can, it's virtually impossible to police along it's entire length.

The whole backstop thing is a total red herring, as has already been pointed out, you don't need physical customs checks at border crossings, you can do that at many other points in the movement of goods.

The EU are at pains to point out that different countries have different standards, so let's look at an example of how efficient their checks and balances are - IIRC, we had a big scandal surrounding horse meat in ready meals a few years ago.

Turns out it came from food produced both inside and out of the EU and was being sold across virtually all of the EU, with one of the largest contributors to the contamination being Romania, distributed through France.

Yep, the Eu food standards are really being policed to within an inch of death Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Shaft on 23:29 - 12 Jun 2019; edited 1 time in total

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:16 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
I'm surprised no one's mentioned it but the solution to the "no hard border between NI & Eire" is just to move things...

There is a geographic hard border already: it's called the Irish Sea and the Atlantic. If NI/Eire is such a big deal then move the political EU border to match the geographic one and the border checks will be between Eire and the continental EU. Both sides of the border are then administered by the EU and nothing to do with the UK.

I think if Boris were to quietly suggest this we might see some blushes on the faces of the EU translation team!

Shocked

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:19 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

I've been across that border many times, years before the GFA and they were tearing down the official checkpoints even then.

It's one of those borders that, if you want to cross it you can, it's virtually impossible to police along it's entire length.

The whole backstop thing is a total red herring, as has already been pointed out, you don't need physical customs checks at border crossings, you can do that at many other points in the movement of goods.

Plenty of other countries have long and arguably impossible to hermetically seal borders (USA/CANADA for instance) so I do suspect the NI/ROI border issues is a bit overblown as an issue.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Britain is in “pretty good shape” if it needs to leave the European Union without a transition deal on Oct. 31, Cabinet Secretary Mark Sedwill, the country’s top civil servant, said on Thursday.

British officials had done a lot of work to prepare for a no-deal Brexit before the original Brexit deadline of March 29, and work had continued since, though preparedness did vary between industries, Sedwill said at an event hosted by the Institute for Government think tank. "

- Reuters, London.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:47 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh... I wonder if "May's Delay" will actually be a blessing: allowing more time to prepare for a No-Deal Brexit.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 289 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 393, 394, 395 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
Page 394 of 523