Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

motorway vs dual carriageway

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

czakal
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:24 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: motorway vs dual carriageway Reply with quote

Hello people,
I'm planning a trip from London to Winchester. It's gonna take some work but at about 2h I could do it on my YBR125. For most of the way I can go by either A road or motorway. Is there much practical difference in conditions on either roads? I imagine neither are ideal environments for small bikes but with some care it's doable. I haven't gone such a long distance before but I commute on the A12 for years so at least I'm familiar with going up to 50mph.

Thanks, S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 03:26 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The non motorway route must be the A3 and then the A31 (I think) so there will be various big roundabouts, junctions controlled by traffic lights and other things which slow you down.

If you go straight down the M3 then there's only a couple of miles of non motorways roads from leaving the motorway before you're in Winchester.

If you went the M3 route and then didn't like it then you can leave the motorway and join the A30 which is the nearest main road that takes you to Winchester.

Practical differences between the roads are that the motorway is the boring easy option with less navigational skills required. On either route, you're going to want to do more than 50mph to keep up with the rest of the traffic.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:13 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. If anything, the motorway is better, no abruptly joining traffic, no central gaps. Also much easier for following trasffic to pass.

Boring as hell but you'll find many wagons will be sitting at 55mph. They are generally very considerate of people on slow bikes.

I regularly take my 350 bullet on the motorways, sometimes with a trailer on. That will be slower than your YBR.

If you've not been on a motorway before, remember to lifesaver before every lane change, look well ahead for brake lights coming on and if you reach stationary traffic, do NOT be at the back, immediately filter a few car-lengths forwards by any means necessary.

I assume you do have a full licence if you want to go on the motorway. Because learners aren't allowed.

czakal
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:23 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I'm one of the few people who decide to continue on small bikes after getting my full licence. From the sound of it I may use the motorway as it probably has an additional advantage of being a little easier to navigate. Thanks for the tips.

S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:32 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

czakal wrote:
Yes I'm one of the few people who decide to continue on small bikes after getting my full licence.
S

Ya! Small bikes rock Thumbs Up
Small bike touring next Thumbs Up

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends where in London you are
From south or west London
I go down the A3 to Guildford the the A31

Also a full licence holder with a 125 MSX125 !

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:05 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

davebike wrote:
Also a full licence holder with a 125 MSX125 !

I can't say I've ever seen a Grom on the motorway . . . it would be quite a sight though!

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't make a habit of using Motorways on the Grom I did a big tour last September and Used M25 to get me to A12 and on way bak had to use one to get around Bristol

I taken the Grom from near East Grinsted West Sussex Surrey border up the east coast to John o Grotes across the North coast and back down the West lake district (hardknot pass etc) bit of Wales and home 2500 miles 13 days big grins !

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it that when I go on a tour/trip, the only ‘tourers’ I come across are on 10,000cc missiles carrying everything except the kitchen sink?

I never seem to come across people touring on old Brit iron either?
I was in the car the other day when for the first time in many an age I met two people at a Petrol station returning from a continental trip on old Brit iron.

C’mon people, try touring on something a little different Thumbs Up

EDIT: oh! And do a write up Thumbs Up

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

C’mon people, try touring on something a little different Thumbs Up

Not the silliest touring ever but
Nurburgring on a Panigale?
Normandy Beaches / Le Mans (same bike)
IoM, two up, on an 1198?
They’ve been my efforts over the last few years, the Panigale getting very odd looks when pulling in Ducati Peterborough on my way north loaded with panniers.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 288 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1