Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit: What do you think will happen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 395, 396, 397 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:06 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Surely the answer is for companies to pay a higher wage?
The problem is people might be working a job full time but current wage levels mean they're living beneath the poverty line. It's not that persons fault that they need support (benefits) to raise their income to a suitable level.

I still say, pay a fair wage which means no benefits paid to support those people. That means savings by government and hopefully we pay less tax for it.

Once people are paid a fair wage, they then have disposable income which means spending which boosts the economy.
You cannot strangle wages and think it will help a country.

Something controversial: How about that £39 Billion or whatever is instead given/shared out to the British people? That's £500k for every person in the country. Imagine the boost for the country as a whole.
You will also then see the hidden residents wanting their share and we can thus throw them out!

Tax credits are a disaster. They basically set up a system of subsidising employers wages bill. Add low rates of corporation tax and the government slowly bleeds cash paying businesses employees wages for them. Its madness.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

#£590Each

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Sister Sledge wrote:
Surely the answer is for companies to pay a higher wage?
The problem is people might be working a job full time but current wage levels mean they're living beneath the poverty line. It's not that persons fault that they need support (benefits) to raise their income to a suitable level.

I still say, pay a fair wage which means no benefits paid to support those people. That means savings by government and hopefully we pay less tax for it.

Once people are paid a fair wage, they then have disposable income which means spending which boosts the economy.
You cannot strangle wages and think it will help a country.

Something controversial: How about that £39 Billion or whatever is instead given/shared out to the British people? That's £500k for every person in the country. Imagine the boost for the country as a whole.
You will also then see the hidden residents wanting their share and we can thus throw them out!

The only viable way wages will go up is if the endless supply of cheap labour is controlled. Leaving the EU properly and stopping freedom of movement will do this.

I see this a lot, and I disagree. What will happen is that the wages won't go up because they have the ready supply of JSA'ers who will be sanctioned unless they take a job, which they won't necessarily be able to afford to take.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can see the "poverty trap" of just living off of benefits has shifted. The new sinkhole is doing enough hours to keep the DWP off your back and getting a top up with Universal Tax Credits.

My daughter hovers around 16 hours a week at close to minimum wage to try and maximise the wage/benefits balance. Wrong on so many levels Sad

However, the only redeeming quality I can pull from this mess is that it is breaking the cycle of "my grand parents lived off benefits, my parents lived off benefits so I'm gonna live off benefits..."

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:25 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
the only redeeming quality I can pull from this mess is that it is breaking the cycle of "my grand parents lived off benefits, my parents lived off benefits so I'm gonna live off benefits..."

Universal tax credits are still benefits, just with a different name.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
From what I can see the "poverty trap" of just living off of benefits has shifted. The new sinkhole is doing enough hours to keep the DWP off your back and getting a top up with Universal Tax Credits.

My daughter hovers around 16 hours a week at close to minimum wage to try and maximise the wage/benefits balance. Wrong on so many levels Sad

However, the only redeeming quality I can pull from this mess is that it is breaking the cycle of "my grand parents lived off benefits, my parents lived off benefits so I'm gonna live off benefits..."

And then you have 0 hour contracts...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:34 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
HardlyDavidson wrote:
the only redeeming quality I can pull from this mess is that it is breaking the cycle of "my grand parents lived off benefits, my parents lived off benefits so I'm gonna live off benefits..."

Universal tax credits are still benefits, just with a different name.

Indeed, but at least ppl are doing some work and not just watching Jeremy Kyle...

...err some sort of conspiracy methinks Wink

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:41 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:

Zero hour contracts exist because somebody at some time or other was happy to work with such stupidity. If no one took up zero contract jobs they'd have to think of some other wheeze to exploit workers.

Hehe...

The problem is we have all these immigrants here happy to be exploited and that has a knock-on effect for the indigenous worker.

Give me a sec while I don my flame-retarded jump suit Whistle

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the interests of fairness....

Our "0 hour contracts" pay a fair chunk more than the ones being discussed.

I've been out of contract for 2 months now. I don't think your standard KFC grunt on a zero hour contract would have enough saved up from their previous 3 months of contract work to suck that up?

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

Zero hour contracts exist because somebody at some time or other was happy to work with such stupidity. If no one took up zero contract jobs they'd have to think of some other wheeze to exploit workers.

Hehe...

The problem is we have all these immigrants here happy to be exploited and that has a knock-on effect for the indigenous worker.

Give me a sec while I don my flame-retarded jump suit Whistle

0 hour contracts are fine for people who want to base work around kids, students etc. Not for everyone. I loved it when I was on them as a student with no responsibilities, but now I've a house to run, I realise that it's much better to have a guaranteed wage coming in.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:21 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

This is where Labours plan for RBS and the creation of an investment bank specifically for encouraging small local businesses and start ups is a great idea. Labour are the only party that seem to be trying to takle thechanges in how we will work in the future.

Quote:
Commissioned by the FCA in 2014 after allegations by former RBS clients, the 350-page document details “widespread inappropriate treatment” of small businesses by the bank’s Global Restructuring Group, resulting in “material financial distress”.

Speaking as she announced the terms of an inquiry into the financing of small businesses, Nicky Morgan said: “The findings in the report are disgraceful.”

“The overarching priority at all levels of GRG was not the health and strength of customers, but the generation of income for RBS, through made-up fees, high interest rates, and the acquisition of equity and property.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/feb/20/mps-publish-full-unredacted-report-into-rbs-small-business-scandal

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:14 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan. What point are you trying to make?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:21 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working tax credits dont exist anymore. Unuversal credit has replaced it. As a person earns a percentage is deducted from the basic UC awarded until an earnings threshold is reached. Its good in that it makes working pay, its bad in that it is so complicated to work out in advance how much money a person actually gets. This is made even more complicated if earnings fluctuate throughout the year which us mire ofyen the case for lower waged workers.

The best thing for wages is actually Unuonisation with strong collective wage bargaining.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
I see May is now showing her true colours and plotting to stop a proper Brexit. Oh and she's following EU orders and backing Remain Tory, Rory Stewart in the leadership contest.

Remember "No Deal is better than a bad deal"? How is she not in court for lying to the electorate?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9305352/theresa-may-boris-johnson-no-deal-brexit-amber-rudd-philip-hammond/

The same reason many other politicians haven't been thrown in court for not following through on manifesto 'promises'.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:28 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
I see May is now showing her true colours and plotting to stop a proper Brexit. Oh and she's following EU orders and backing Remain Tory, Rory Stewart in the leadership contest.

Remember "No Deal is better than a bad deal"? How is she not in court for lying to the electorate?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9305352/theresa-may-boris-johnson-no-deal-brexit-amber-rudd-philip-hammond/

The same reason many other politicians haven't been thrown in court for not following through on manifesto 'promises'.

Because if they had done Boris the prisons would be full of lying politicians. What a wonderful thought.

Hey Jeremy, Bubba wants to see you in the showers, NOW. Laughing

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheeler v the office of the Prime Minister. Wink

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:54 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep meaning to post something about procrastination but I just haven't got round to it...

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go. If this report is true, the inevitable has started to happen...

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/tory-donors-in-secret-talks-for-election-pact-with-nigel-farages-brexit-party/ar-AACZRZX?ocid=spartanntp

Our next Government will be hung, with the Tories and the Brexit Party together able to do whatever they want. A Johnson and Farage dream-team, dismantling of the welfare state, no more NHS, less tax for the wealthy, private security, gated communities and ghettos. Still, at least we plebs will be able to enjoy watching the gentry fox-hunting again...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 286 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 395, 396, 397 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
Page 396 of 523