Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Advice/assistance with brakes. Dartford area ish

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:28 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Advice/assistance with brakes. Dartford area ish Reply with quote

Hey

I've hit a brick wall with the GSXR. The front brakes seem to judder when you apply them, I bought new disks, they do the same.

I've not actually done much aside from get them swapped but it's got to the point where I'm not going to ride it with scary ass brakes.

I can't get it up as I have no stands currently. My only option would be to remove everything and lay it down.

I'd just like a second opinion/test rider/help as whilst I feel I could sort it, I'm stuck as to what the issue is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:57 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your arse round to mine this afternoon.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:01 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Get your arse round to mine this afternoon.

This afternoon is bad as my kitchens falling apart (ceiling collapsed from upstairs flood) and they are in today making amends. I'm about all next weekend however?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:45 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same issue with my rg 125. Never found the cause but came to the conclusion it was either a buckled wheel or badly seated bearings.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:56 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corrosion where the disks mount?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:03 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Corrosion where the disks mount?

That's were I was thinking for buckling but couldn't see how it could buckle there. Expansion due to corrosion is a good call.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:24 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd hope it's not corrosion, I've tried to baby this bike. All it's work has been done in a garage so far. I should have returned to the garage when it was done but tax and insurance lapsed, then work, then home etc.

Shit as really .

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:48 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TL had this when I bought it, it was corrosion behind the discs, roadsalt being the culprit.

Popped the discs off, cleaned everything up an reseated them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:59 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Advice/assistance with brakes. Dartford area ish Reply with quote

How are the wheel bearings?

It's common for ones on the way out to first manifest a noticable issue under braking.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:30 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Advice/assistance with brakes. Dartford area ish Reply with quote

G wrote:
How are the wheel bearings?

It's common for ones on the way out to first manifest a noticable issue under braking.

This feels like brakes, the level is pulsing like a pro

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:37 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Advice/assistance with brakes. Dartford area ish Reply with quote

That's exactly how knackered wheel bearings can feel!

Not knackered enough to notice when they're under less pressure, but when you add significantly more forces from the brakes it gets bumpy - and that bumpyness than transmits through to the lever.

I've only had it myself once, but an R6 wheel I sold, someone complained of just that too and initially couldn't work out what was wrong with the braking system - turned out it was needing new bearings.

Not saying it is, but definitely worth checking!

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked on a 4XV R1 a while ago and the owner complained of juddering in the front end under braking.He took the bike to his local bike shop in Wandsworth and they said that the headrace bearings just needed tightening.But after a track day at Brands the situation arose again,most probably due to the different conditions that a track imposes on a machine.

Knowing that Suzuki use very little grease on assembly at the factory,I would also look at the condition and adjustment of these bearings.

Is it worth changing the fork oil while you are about it?It is not like the factories to use a quality oil and even after 5,000 miles the oil goes distinctly thin and damping suffers accordingly Thumbs Down Rolling Eyes

Always have a 'Plan B'

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:10 - 31 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy popped round this morning. Turns out that one of the new disks isn't the same thickness all the way round. I've seen this before with aftermarket disks.

I measured the LH disk and it was 0.061mm fatter one side than the other. The RH disk was only a couple of digits different all the way round. So we put a clamp on the LH brake line and Paddy took it for a test - it was braking smooth as silk.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 31 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kin ell.
I've never heard of that but it does piss me off - brakes are the most important thing on a vehicle and there you are - shit from the factory.
Are they a recognised make??

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:45 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just updating this.

Popped round to Petes today with new disks and (sorry....) a tyre to replace.

The bike is now 100% perfect.

I'll attach pictures once they load, but essentially the disk bolts were well stuck in there which meant I needed Pete's help to undo them, and Pete needed tools Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:34 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/h4SvN27.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XRLV2Rm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/aEod72c.jpg

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:48 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those bastards put so much threadlock in there it wicked up onto the bolt shoulder and effectively bonded the bolts into the thread, the disk and the counterbore. Even my mains-powered impact wrench struggled with a couple of them.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:44 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Those bastards put so much threadlock in there it wicked up onto the bolt shoulder and effectively bonded the bolts into the thread, the disk and the counterbore. Even my mains-powered impact wrench struggled with a couple of them.

the red stuff is stud lock and the blue stuff thread lock.
stud lock is far stronger no ?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that sort of attitude I'm surprised they didn't just skip to epoxy!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:14 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:

In this instance, that shit should never come near these bolts Laughing

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:59 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:
Pete. wrote:

the red stuff is stud lock and the blue stuff thread lock.

Nowadays any colour can be any strength - there's no 'rule'. This stuff had a bloody good hold on those bolts though. Even I was surprised we managed to get all of them out (and I'm usually pretty confident) and as it was it took more than half an hour. Then I had to clean them all up on the wire wheel.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 308 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1