Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda Vision 110 cutting out when cold

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:15 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Honda Vision 110 cutting out when cold Reply with quote

My Honda Vision has been stood for six months (only used for motorhome trips in the summer) and it was due a service. It started first time though and I gave it a run round. After a mile or so I noticed it was cutting out and kept stalling at low revs.

Had it all serviced, new belt, battery, fuel changed, fuel filter cleaned new plug etc. Went to pick it up and it was still cutting out. Took it back and the mechanic had a go on it and said it was fine. I then had a go and it was ok. Rode it home about 15 miles full chat and it was fine. Today went to start it and it started ok but even after leaving it ticking over for 5 min when I drove off on it it kept cutting out as soon as I applied revs. Trouble restarting it several times as well. Drove it up and down the village coaxing it along for 10 minutes or so and eventually it got going and seemed fine but something is wrong.

ITs not right though. Ive had it four years and normally you turn it over from cold, jump on it and away you go.

I think its fuel injection so would it have an automatic choke? Could it be that? Ive not called the bike garage yet but thought I would put this out there as I suspect ill get a lot of hmmms and scratching of heads.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one here yesterday
It has no choke as its FI
It just squirts a bit extra juice in when the sensors indicate it's
below optimum operating temp.

does it smell of petrol at all ?
If it isn't getting a reliable signal from a temp sensor
it may continue to give it plenty as it warms up causing similar symptoms to what your getting. ie flooding

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the symptoms of fuel vacuum lock.

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:28 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those helpful replies. No smell of petrol that I noticed. Garage has offered to come and pick it up on Monday and investigate. They are good lads I think at our bike garage (Darlington) but I guess I cant expect them to know every bike, model and problem so any pre investigation ideas are going to be helpful.

Its been such a reliable little bike. Its been all over Europe on the back of our camper van and never let me down. Must be something simple hopefully as it runs sweet once fully warmed up.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:46 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condensation buildup in fuel tank perhaps?

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:57 - 13 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My efi bike started stalling when coming to a stop for the first 5-10 minutes.

Came down to faulty throttle position sensor.

Not sure of your bike, just thought I'd share as it had me puzzled at first.

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:06 - 14 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. If it was just condensation would it not happen all the time? They replaced the fuel I believe. Its not just stalling either its cutting out when you try and turn the throttle, it dies but generally keeps going, just. There are two hills going in either direction out of our village and until it was properly warmed up it would not get up either of them as it kept dying until I turned around. Once fully warmed up after about 10-15 minutes it was fine.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 09:36 - 14 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it sounds like something up with the fuelling when cold, and it's been sitting for a long time.
Lots of potential causes, but my first approach to fixing it would be to fill it up with fresh fuel and take it for a few rides. The combination of fresh petrol, heat and vibration will tend to clean up and free off anything which is a bit dirty or sticky.

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:40 - 14 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Well it sounds like something up with the fuelling when cold, and it's been sitting for a long time.
Lots of potential causes, but my first approach to fixing it would be to fill it up with fresh fuel and take it for a few rides. The combination of fresh petrol, heat and vibration will tend to clean up and free off anything which is a bit dirty or sticky.

Garage reckon they emptied the fuel and refilled it and cleaned the fuel filter. As said it had a good long ride home from there which is about 15-16 miles and it was fine once it was fully warmed up.

I did wonder about giving it a good long ride yesterday but the weather is awful and I currently dont have any breakdown cover if it give up.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 09:48 - 14 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so the fuel and filter are good, its just a case of using that new fuel to clean everything downstream of the filter when the weather is good enough to ride it.

I would just try to get in a couple of half-hour rides. If it is behaving a bit better after them, then it should keep improving. If it isn't, then it needs proper fixing.

I would be loathe to put it right back into a garage before a couple of rides, because the usual method employed to diagnose any kind of FI fuelling fault is to keep replacing expensive components until the problem goes away. The problem is often just a switch, sensor or solenoid sticking in one position, which will free off with heat and vibration.

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:27 - 14 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Ok, so the fuel and filter are good, its just a case of using that new fuel to clean everything downstream of the filter when the weather is good enough to ride it.

I would just try to get in a couple of half-hour rides. If it is behaving a bit better after them, then it should keep improving. If it isn't, then it needs proper fixing.

I would be loathe to put it right back into a garage before a couple of rides, because the usual method employed to diagnose any kind of FI fuelling fault is to keep replacing expensive components until the problem goes away. The problem is often just a switch, sensor or solenoid sticking in one position, which will free off with heat and vibration.

Thanks. Ok ill see if I can get out on it over the weekend, makes sense.

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 14 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

spark plug caps are prone to being weak on these.
Replace for a new one if you haven't already.

As Robbie said fresh fuel and shell v power 97 works better and has been known to me to cure some running issues.

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:58 - 14 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb1rocket wrote:
spark plug caps are prone to being weak on these.
Replace for a new one if you haven't already.

As Robbie said fresh fuel and shell v power 97 works better and has been known to me to cure some running issues.

Thanks. Would a dodgy spark plug cap not cause a problem on and off all the time though? Why would it just be happening when cold? It would be an easy one to try though I guess.

As for fuel as said the garage say they replaced it. Its been filled up from just about every brand of Petrol from stations from Scotland to Slovenia though. Very Happy

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:44 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the bike out again today. Same problem. It fired up straight away but died then kept starting it and catching the revs. Took off up the road and immediately it started to die and then wouldnt start at all, just spinning over. Tried it with the fuel cap off in case it was a vacuum thing but didnt seem to make any difference.

Going back to what TM Forte (Jason King) mentioned earlier there was a strong smell of fuel at this point. I know your not supposed to but I then tried blipping the throttle a bit when it was turning over and it tried to catch but didnt. Left it ten minutes, did something else then tried it again. Started and I just caught the revs and kept it going with the back wheel spinning off the ground.

Couple of minutes of that then off up the road. Coughed and died a little bit but kept going, after a few minutes up and down the road it was fine again. So gave it a good blast round the villages but it will take an age to run off all that fuel its so economical.

Going out now so will try it again when I get back.

I reckon it has to go back but will see later and tomorrow if its still the same.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really a cold start problem?
It sounds as if it starts ok but struggles to keep going.

All we can do on forums is make guesses and suggestions
based on info given and sometimes personal experience
so good info = better guesses and vice versa.

The guy who brings his scoots here just bought a new Motobatt battery for his 2018 vision and reckoned it made a lot of difference in starting and performance where previously it was an erratic PITA.
I havent tinkered with it as it's under warranty and Fowlers should be sorting it but he tells me they're useless and had it two weeks and did nothing useful

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Is it really a cold start problem?
It sounds as if it starts ok but struggles to keep going.

All we can do on forums is make guesses and suggestions
based on info given and sometimes personal experience
so good info = better guesses and vice versa.

The guy who brings his scoots here just bought a new Motobatt battery for his 2018 vision and reckoned it made a lot of difference in starting and performance where previously it was an erratic PITA.
I havent tinkered with it as it's under warranty and Fowlers should be sorting it but he tells me they're useless and had it two weeks and did nothing useful

Yes and no really. Fires usually but then dies but then it can take a long time and turning over rapidly before it starts again.

I think it was around 2pm when I was test riding it. Three hours later I have gone back to it and it fired up first time and I took it off up the village up the hill where it would normally die and it was fine. Wasnt a proper test as its pissing down but presumably three hours would be enough for it to be stone cold again?

Ill try it again in the morning, that will be a proper test I guess. I know its impossible to diagnose on a forum but I just want to be as prepared as possible before it goes back to the garage and they just start replacing stuff in a process of (costly) elimination.

PS. The battery was replaced at the service as it was knackered apparently which is odd as it seemed fine when I took it in,

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:29 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a bit better today. Started first time and went off up the road no bother. It was actually coming back down the hill (about half a mile from the house) that it started to splutter. Kept going and died when I stopped outside the house. Took the fuel cap off to see if there was some kind of vacuum or blockage but it seemed fine. Few turns to get it started and then zipped up and down the village ok.

Its a much warmer day today though so would it really make a difference? Maybe whatever it is is slowly clearing and just needs more riding as suggested. I would have gone further but I have a nuclear hangover. Crying or Very sad

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:33 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be failing as it warms up. Could it be the coil failing?

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
It seems to be failing as it warms up. Could it be the coil failing?

But then its fine after short while. I think once its been run a bit, it will probably run all day long.

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:40 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been all over on the bike today. Had to drop the camper off twenty miles away and went back for it just now on the bike.

Again earlier on today it was a bit iffy at first for a few rides round the village but not as bad as it has been. Cutting out at low revs and struggling to get going. Twenty mile blast flat out round country roads to pick up the van, no problems at all and no cutting out once warmed up.

Im wondering about trying some of that injector cleaner but which one? A lot of reviews seem to say its snake oil but worth a go I suppose.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby's touching on something ^^
I've heard of coils failing slowly too. Could it be that? Do you have a spare to test the theory?

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Nobby's touching on something ^^
I've heard of coils failing slowly too. Could it be that? Do you have a spare to test the theory?

No, I cant even change a spark plug me. Im not only mechanically challenged I have really bad Arthritis and cant bend down hardly or do any of the stuff myself sadly.

I made a list of the suggestions when I spoke to the garage earlier. I think he dismissed the coil but he has his own problems right now as the unit he works on the bikes in (They have two) burned down on Saturday.

Would the symptom of a coil failing only show itself when the bike is first running?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:48 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coils usually break down when they get hot, then start working again once cold. So this is the opposite of normal coil failure.

I have never known injector cleaner to do anything at all. A tank of super unleaded usually contains some kind of cleaner stuff anyway, so go for that.

So it looks the scooter is still running a bit shit when cold, but fine after a bit of a run. I would want to find a way to check any fault codes stored on it now, seeing as the problem is still clearly there, if less of a problem than it was. Something on the warm-up map in the ECU isn't getting the right input from a sensor, and it sounds like it's not running rich enough to stay happy. Similar to running a carbed bike cold without using the choke.

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:04 - 18 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Coils usually break down when they get hot, then start working again once cold. So this is the opposite of normal coil failure.

I have never known injector cleaner to do anything at all. A tank of super unleaded usually contains some kind of cleaner stuff anyway, so go for that.

So it looks the scooter is still running a bit shit when cold, but fine after a bit of a run. I would want to find a way to check any fault codes stored on it now, seeing as the problem is still clearly there, if less of a problem than it was. Something on the warm-up map in the ECU isn't getting the right input from a sensor, and it sounds like it's not running rich enough to stay happy. Similar to running a carbed bike cold without using the choke.

Thanks.

Ill start filling it with the super unleaded then as suggested. I didnt realise you could read fault codes on this little bike, wonder why the garage have not suggested that.

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 22 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I would update the thread again. Over the summer the bike was fine after daily use. However it was warmer weather. It's been stood for three weeks and I've started using it again and now it's a lot cooler it's doing it again. Starts ok then after a mile or so splutters for a bit then once warmed up its fine again. I'll be using it daily for the next few weeks so will see what it's like but it seems to me to be a problem when it's cooler weather!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 210 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1