Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cagiva Planet 125Cc Water Pump Impeller & Shaft

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

AlexCagivaPla...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:56 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Cagiva Planet 125Cc Water Pump Impeller & Shaft Reply with quote

Greetings!

This is my first post in this forum so i trust you guys will handle me accordingly.

Im a proud owner of a cagiva planet 125cc and just recently, a couple days ago to be exact (after not a very relatively short ride) i had an instance of coolant leakage into the transmission box. I noticed it immediately right after i got down from the bike, white milky fluid spilling from the overflow pipe just above the tranny box.
Today i had some time to inspect where the leakage was coming from and decided to look for the water pump if there was a gasket/sealing washer leaking/defecting or failing completely on me.
Turns out the double seal located on the impeller shaft was indeed letting water from the coolant container inside the box and by moving the shaft inside & outside, it did let out some of the milky mix(oil and water) out of the small space the seal was failing at. So after i had that out of the way, i decided to look for a seal replacement. But before i do that i got 2 important questions. First one being is: a) What is the proper dimension of the seal ring and b) Is the impeller shaft supposed to move inside/outside at all or is it broken and have to replace that as well? In which case how do i take it out?
Also one bit of info, the distance the shaft was moving in and out was, i think, fixed, so maybe its supposed to move like that, but the propeller infront of the seal wasnt moving when i was moving the whole mechanism by hand. The lock nut holding the propeller in place was a little bit eaten away also.

That is all. Please, let me know of any suggestions/opinions as soon as you read this. Thank you for your time and i look forward to my stay around here.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:59 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the bearings have failed. Replacing the bearings means replacing the seals.

Just replace the whole thing.

AlexCagivaPla...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:33 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Sounds like the bearings have failed. Replacing the bearings means replacing the seals.

Just replace the whole thing.

Is that what the shaft wiggle means? I had it as a priority to replace it altogether just cause but if its so then i will. Anything other that you believe might be of importance?

Edit: Any idea on how do i remove it btw? Do i have to open the transmission box or not? I don't wanna go ahead and do unnecessary things if i can avoid it

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:44 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexCagivaPlanet wrote:

Is that what the shaft wiggle means? I had it as a priority to replace it altogether just cause but if its so then i will. Anything other that you believe might be of importance?

Edit: Any idea on how do i remove it btw? Do i have to open the transmission box or not? I don't wanna go ahead and do unnecessary things if i can avoid it

There should be no identifiable movement of the shaft aside from it's normal rotary movement. The bearings hold it in place. Therefore if the shaft has excessive sideways play the bearings are fucked.

If they are really fucked you could end up wearing the casing as well.

AlexCagivaPla...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:59 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
AlexCagivaPlanet wrote:

There should be no identifiable movement of the shaft aside from it's normal rotary movement. The bearings hold it in place. Therefore if the shaft has excessive sideways play the bearings are fucked.

If they are really fucked you could end up wearing the casing as well.

Its more like inwards outwards motion rather than sideways. Sideways is fine and stable. Which makes me think maybe that was the reason that it let water inside the box. Maybe it wasnt even the seal. Do you know anything about it? Is the shaft supposed to go in & out?
Also i would appreciate if you guys could let me know how to remove and replace the shaft? I opened it on the other side where the crankshaft is and tried to locate it by height to where the pump corresponds and it seems that i have to pull off stuff and disassemble the right side of the crankshaft.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 306 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1