Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha XVS125 Gear Problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mickyc94
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:15 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Yamaha XVS125 Gear Problem Reply with quote

Basically I bought a YamahaXVS125 for £95 everything with it including logbook and key, all parts in pretty good condition just needs a clean up. No idea how long its been stood but ive had it running. cleaned carb, new spark plugs and fresh oil and bobs your uncle.

Starts up fine and runs smooth as anything however when I try and put it into gear with clutch held in like any normal bike it just stalls and jerks a little bit, every single time.

Ive tried side stand up, side stand down, I have bypassed the clutch switch and the side stand switch and still having the same issue however when its running in neutral and release clutch it also bogs out so i have bypassed this so i can have it ticking over without having to hold clutch. Also when in gear I try hold clutch in but you cant restart it back up while in gear even with clutch in like you can with other bikes. No idea if this is by design or if I have some sort of faulty gear switch if there is one I have no idea or whether the clutch plates are stuck on. I have also tried to bump it a few times but its not having any of it.

Im looking for a bit of advice before I do strip it down to see if this could be a clutch plate problem or an electrical issue.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:04 - 15 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plain and simple the clutch is stuck from being standing so long. Find a piece of private land/road etc. Start the bike in neutral, push it as hard as you can then jump on and click it into first gear. Hold in the clutch and keep on and off the throttle until it releases or you crash Smile

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mickyc94
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:16 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried that, still nothing. The clutch will not engage, ive stripped it down, cleaned clutch plates and popped it back together and its still doing the same thing. Any ideas?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you have stripped it down then the clutch isn't stuck. I can't think of anything else going by your description of the symptoms.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mickyc94
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:14 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick question, with the bike in 1st gear if I pull clutch lever in I should be able to move the bike freely. correct?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:42 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be some drag but you should be able to push it along. If you can't, the fault is in the release mechanism. Perhaps there is too much slack in the cable or the adjuster needs setting, if it has one.

Mickyc94
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:51 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be quite alot of drag and not so easy to push with clutch lever pulled in. It appears it could be an issue with the cable but ive tried adjusting it from the top to no avail. There is a one on the lever part and another one the side of the engine it appears.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mickyc94 wrote:
Tried that, still nothing. The clutch will not engage, ive stripped it down, cleaned clutch plates and popped it back together and its still doing the same thing. Any ideas?

Clutch cable free play.

Clutch actuation mechanism adjustment.

EDIT:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/612327/Yamaha-Drag-Star-Xvs125.html?page=47&term=clutch&selected=23

Mickyc94
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:38 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Mickyc94 wrote:

Clutch cable free play.

Clutch actuation mechanism adjustment.

EDIT:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/612327/Yamaha-Drag-Star-Xvs125.html?page=47&term=clutch&selected=23

I have tried this also, the bike is lurching forward more than it was and less drag when holding clutch in and freerolling in gear but the issue persists, it just dies instantly when put in gear and im getting rather annoyed with it.

Is there any other electrical switches anywhere else on the bike other than the side stand switch and clutch switch? I have bypassed both of them and nothing is working.

Mickyc94
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:41 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: PROBLEM FIXED.

Clutch plates were not stuck on, cable freeplay was fine. I had a problem with a relay box that is also linked with CDI and sidestand and clutch switch. Despite both being bypassed they went through a relay box that has told the bike to stop running when put into gear and cut off the sparks to the coils.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:35 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mickyc94 wrote:
UPDATE: PROBLEM FIXED.

Clutch plates were not stuck on, cable freeplay was fine. I had a problem with a relay box that is also linked with CDI and sidestand and clutch switch. Despite both being bypassed they went through a relay box that has told the bike to stop running when put into gear and cut off the sparks to the coils.

Glad you got it sorted. Sorry we could not be of more help, but that is an unusual fault.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 302 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1