Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

eBike brake light?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 15 Mar 2019    Post subject: eBike brake light? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I was thinking of wiring up a brake light and possibly indicators.

Any thoughts?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:47 - 15 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: eBike brake light? Reply with quote

I'm guessing it's not fully road legal.

That being the case, you might want to question if you want to make it more obvious what it is.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:34 - 15 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

at 1500W and >30mph probably not Razz

Mmmm, that is a point I was thinking on. Also, the DVSA spec for mopeds is that indicators are optional so probably good to follow on from that logic.

So, just a rear light wired into the battery yes but brake light as well?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:48 - 15 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can register it as a motorbike to make it legal.

Though it's easier if it's 1000W or under.

I can see the utility and have thought about similar.

But I can also see the downsides.

How about a brake light and indicators to go on a helmet, if you wear one? Makes it less obvious.
(Not sure if such things exist - I've 'invented' them in the past, so sure others have too Smile .)

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:59 - 15 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get lids with indicators and brake lights built in, aftermarket stick on ones must exist and I might do some looking on Google later.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:46 - 16 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a dig through my parts bin and found I bought a bicycle rear light with indicators ages ago. A tiny little Chinese made thing, controlled by a wireless switch clipped to the handlebars.

Probably sensible to stick with that rather than draw attention to the thing Smile As it is I have to slow down as not to embarrass the smaller cars Very Happy

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:46 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lidl are selling lids with brake lights and indicators.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl.htm?articleId=21302&ar=6

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:13 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
at 1500W and......

I recently built my own Li-on battery pack, utilizing the original casing. I managed to get 126 x 18650 cells in it (14S9P) 58.8V@31.5Ah. I also put in a fan for cooling triggered by three 50 degree thyristors mounted along top & uses a BMS.
I haven't got as far as lighting yet, as I haven't thought through the charge/discharge plus voltage dropping issues, and how to do it nicely.
So far I bought some lighting kits off fleabay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Lights-Set-USB-Rechargeable-Waterproof-Front-Bicycle-Lights-Headlight/293071083719?hash=item443c65d8c7:g:YxAAAOSw7aNcyVVS[/url]

I have dropped the 50V to 15V for the cooling fans, (also fitted in the box housing the controller) using this little circuit..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10A-DC-DC-6-5-60V-to-1-25-30V-Adjustable-Converter-Step-Down-Module/143020349715?hash=item214cad5913:g:DkQAAOSwVRxb83Td

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:36 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to update: yes I now have working night-time lights (front and rear) running off the main battery. Brake levers now correctly activate the rear 2 stage lamp. Optional ebrake only via push button and flashing rear indicators.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:03 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
... I now have working night-time lights (front and rear) running off the main battery.

Nice one, what did you use to drop the voltage, or are they connected to outputs from the controller? I've seen controllers with outputs for lights, so I presume they're 12V or maybe 5V USB , Laughing the options are amazing, oh and are they LED/CREE/etc.

Quote:
Brake levers now correctly activate the rear 2 stage lamp.

Cool my brake levers have micro-switches to cut out the power when braking (didn't yours), although seeing as the PAS doesn't seem to work (as I don't need to pedal), maybe they don't either. Will check tomorrow.

Quote:
Optional ebrake only via push button and flashing rear indicators.
Thanks for the update, its great to hear other people are also interested in these machines.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:40 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My controller has a switchable 48V output for the lights. Both the front, back and indicators can take 24 to 54V (built in regulators I guess) and are just off the shelf Chinese tat.

The brake light was a bit harder. I re-wired the original switches to go through an opto-isolated 5V relay to activate the brake light whilst still retaining the original motor cut-out function. (You can steal a 5V supply from the throttle cable.)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 282 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1