Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cbr900 indicators are kapput

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Cbr900 indicators are kapput Reply with quote

Ciao Bellas,

Indicators are completely dead but the fuse is fine as the brake lights work off the same one. Google-fu doesn't show anyone with same issue, they tend to be delayed blink, stuck on etcs.

Could it be the relay? I'd have thunk if it was a sticky switch then it'd maybe be playing up on one side etc as opposed to nothing. Is it known for switches to fail?

Humbly yours,
Minteh

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:00 - 16 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bypass the relay, see if the lights come on when in a switch position.

Unless it's a yamaha. They tend to have a multi relay that also does most of the rest of the bike...

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:23 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, ordered a relay as it was only 6.99 and had a look last night. Indicators are still dead and a jumper wire had no effect at all.

I will do a continuity check next but is it probable the switch has failed? It feels OK, nothing untoward.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:02 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirt some electrical contact cleaner into the switch through the slot that the lever runs in. Work the lever repeatedly from side to side. Rinse and repeat until you have working indicators. Thumbs Up

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the contact cleaner did nothing. OK, it probably cleaned the contacts but did not solve my problem so I started by taking the clocks off to have a good look at the loom from the left switch and there was a 4 inch section of electrical tape instead of the rubber shrouding.

Peeled it back to expose the good old 'twist together and electrical tape' connecter on two wires. Took apart and swapped for bullet connectors and jobs a good 'un. To be fair I've had this bike around 5 years so they did quite well.

Have also ordered a second hand, unadulterated loom and switch and will swap them over the moment the problem comes back
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 291 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1