Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A Chernobyl liquidator comments declassified footage

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net
View previous topic : View next topic  

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:05 - 02 Jun 2019    Post subject: A Chernobyl liquidator comments declassified footage Reply with quote

Link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd5ODiYRt4y5G8iscMZtIeQ Thumbs Up

English subtitles included.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:20 - 03 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching those.
Surprised he's still with us to be fair because it was rather exposed in some (all!) places.
Their uniforms for example - did you know there's quite a few liquidators uniforms stashed away beneath a hospital in the ruined city? They're in the basement and are incredibly radioactive. I suspect though that those uniforms once belonged to liquidators who hugged too much radiation and didn't make it out of the hospital..

What's fascinating with this particular guy is he's spotting the finer details. Things like the time on a persons watch or is giving everyone even more insight into the event which might hopefully help with future similar disasters (because there will be).

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 03 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise how many men were involved in trying to limit the effects of the meltdown.

My heart goes out to them, such brave men and women.

I suppose it's never really the time to ask but it being the Soviet Union at the time, did they have a choice?

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:56 - 03 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

id like to think ill visit one day.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:51 - 03 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
I've been watching those.
Surprised he's still with us to be fair because it was rather exposed in some (all!) places.
Their uniforms for example - did you know there's quite a few liquidators uniforms stashed away beneath a hospital in the ruined city? They're in the basement and are incredibly radioactive. I suspect though that those uniforms once belonged to liquidators who hugged too much radiation and didn't make it out of the hospital..

What's fascinating with this particular guy is he's spotting the finer details. Things like the time on a persons watch or is giving everyone even more insight into the event which might hopefully help with future similar disasters (because there will be).

It's the first response firemens uniforms in the hospital basement.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:20 - 03 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I suppose it's never really the time to ask but it being the Soviet Union at the time, did they have a choice?

The liquidator said, that the soldiers and labourers were there willingly. Motivated by ''easy'' money and national pride. He also says, in one of those videos, that they targeted men of certain age (35 or 40+) with children, as all that radiation probably turned every man sterile. He also says many people were sad they couldn't go there, to help.

But he talks about liquidation of the disaster, not the first response teams, which might have been given a direct order. So it was either that or gulag. Especially the helicopter pilots, as I doubt there were in abundence, at that time.

Either way, I can see a huge political/social benefits for everyone who went there. As it was customary, a good comrade had to be a loyal party member and/or a valuable member of the society to be granted certain benefits, such as being allowed to buy a car, to travel outside the USSR, your children being able to study, getting a flat/house was also something that could be helped with a perfect ''social score'', which is something China still uses, even today.

They also probably didn't see the risks involved. The liquidator even pointed out, that the official radiation exposure readings/records were tampered with. He had two dozimeters, one for the official readings and one for his own readings.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:45 - 03 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

leolion wrote:
id like to think ill visit one day.

https://i.imgur.com/hazAkBQ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/06CvFbY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/voya9sH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SPwk90a.jpg

I went last year. Fantastic experience as I have been a Chernobyl nerd ever since playing the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games.

Our guide was great and gave a really good talk when we got to that memorial statue remembering the liquidators. True heroes that prevented an even more catastrophic situation from happening.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 03 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/hazAkBQ.jpg

When I worked contracts, for five years I worked for the company who designed and built the sarcophagus.
Nothing to do with me personally, but a lot of the people I worked with, eventually, went out to construct it, some very clever people on that project!
They gave us a few seminars about the project and the design process.
The company had been designing it for a long time, they had a few "publicity" drawings and a couple of animations on the, proposed, build process. The rest of it was, no doubt, under lock and key and obviously, not available to the likes of me!
In fact, if you've seen the documentary, about the construction of the sarcophagus, some of the animations of the processes where the same ones we'd been shown years before.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:31 - 04 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've watched the documentary on the sarcophagus and they've factored in some clever stuff. It's adaptable and done very well.

With that one disaster it affected so many and cost so much. I just hope we don't see any more.
Fukushima was a real surprise for me because it was built with earthquakes in mind and yet still failed.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:06 - 04 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Fukushima was a real surprise for me because it was built with earthquakes in mind and yet still failed.

Yes, however it was not the earthquake that caused the events, it was the tsunami, for which the powerplant was not prepared for. They also put all the emergency diesel generators in the basement of the powerplant (below the sea level), which apparently got flooded by the tsunami as well, so the powerplant was out of power, therefore the coolant pumps were not working, which caused the overheating. Many criticised the design of the plant afterwards. The wave barriers should have been much higher and/or the emergency power generators elsewhere. The floodgates couldn't handle the brute force of the tsunami either.

The operators of Fukushima plant even had to use car batteries to get at least some power into the measuring devices, so they could check the situation.

https://www.fepc.or.jp/english/nuclear/power_generation/overview/__icsFiles/afieldfile/2016/04/15/10-2-3.gif

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:48 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just goes to show that however good your planning is, something will come along and make you look an idiot.

I've worked with the Japanese LNG industry and they are sticklers for detail. The only thing that used to get me frustrated was once something was decided and written down getting them to change it was nigh on impossible.

Even so their standards are incredibly high, they were just caught out by a natural catastrophe on a scale no one envisaged and that is almost impossible to plan for.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:40 - 05 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, there was even a class action lawsuit for negligence against the company who built the Fukushima plant.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:58 - 12 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CJoF4Z_-Ro Thumbs Up

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:12 - 14 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
It just goes to show that however good your planning is, something will come along and make you look an idiot.

You sound like my Ex wife.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:11 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they've built a shed to cover the shed that was crumbling.

They cannot paint the new shed to protect it so they've got a dehumidifier in said shed.

They're going to dismantle the old shed using remote controlled wire and pulley systems that are installed in the new shed.

Then they'll dismantle and clean-up the site of the old reactor #4.

Then they'll dig big f-off holes and bury some bits and the more fruity stuff will be put into water filled concrete boxes and monitored.

Est length of time for keeping an eye on it, twenty thousand years (about 50 generations per 1,000 years).

So yeah, some of the best scientists, engineers and designers have built a sophisticated shed that should last 100 years, or long enough to at least hopefully remove the waste.

Feel free to flesh out my simplistic understanding or indeed correct it but I still maintain that nuclear energy can do one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:52 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The less radioative, the longer the half life.

The stuff that will be radioative for 20 thou years isn't very radioactive. Carbon 14 dating, for example, can only be used for anything less than 40 thou years old and you don't hear about people dying due to the carbon 14 inherent in their bodies.

the worst of the shit will be relatively harmless in a couple of hundred years.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
... but I still maintain that nuclear energy can do one.

I'd wager that the overall damage done by nuclear power is still less than the damage done by burning coal/oil/gas.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:29 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, obtaining and burning fossil fuels account for more deaths than nuclear energy. I daresay over the course of history deaths by fall from horse is right up there too (but death by horse poo is very low).

I don't trust governments and organisations to look after it. Much will change over the next couple of hundred years as it always has.
Not fair to leave a shit in the toilet for the next user.

30 odd years from Chernobyl and still some farms in Scotland cannot operate as a farm.

So many better and safer and cleaner ways to produce energy, yet here we are still fiddling about with old bomb making tech from the 1940s that makes an awful mess should it not run perfectly.

Oi! Nuclear energy...... do one Middle Finger
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:24 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
30 odd years from Chernobyl and still some farms in Scotland cannot operate as a farm.

How can you tell it's caused by that? The Windscale plant is close to Scotland and it was throwing bits of nuclear fuel around the are quite happily, even before the fire. Thinking

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:17 - 22 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Howling Terror wrote:

How can you tell it's caused by that? The Windscale plant is close to Scotland and it was throwing bits of nuclear fuel around the are quite happily, even before the fire. Thinking

Halflife, darling.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 22 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Howling Terror wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/apr/04/chernobyl-nuclear-power-climate-change-health-radioactivity

Reference to Windscale there.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 22 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very look link ^^

Would it be fair for me to say that Cancer Research should be aimed at nuclear fallout? It's kinda obvious where lots of problems originate.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 302 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1