Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

EFI remaps, worth the bother on a 125?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:39 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: EFI remaps, worth the bother on a 125? Reply with quote

A while back I had a problem on the faux-cruiser in the really cold weather (performance bad while the engine was warming up) and that was about 80% sorted just by getting the valve clearances right (they were way out.)

But that last 20% is annoying! It translates as a flat spot around 4k revs, below that it's fine, above that it's fine.

From my experience tinkering with the turd scooter it seems my 125 is running a bit lean. Obviously with Euro 4 and Cats bikes tend to be tuned on the lean side for emissions but it feels like it only needs a teeny-weeny nudge to be spot on.

I'm wondering if the cheesy thing to do would be add some restriction to the air intake. Will that even work on EFI? Even so that translates as smooth running engine but less power on a bike that does 0 to 60 in... what day is it today?

So is the alternative to take it to a dyno and get it remapped? That sounds expensive! Thing is I wouldn't be happy giving/selling the bike to someone else without all the kinks ironed out.

I'd do it myself but I've found zero info on programming the Yeson 28s-06 ECU.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would imagine it would be cost prohibitive, and not likely to improve matters much, if at all. I've found to some degree treat efi bikes like carb'd bikes, and let them warm up first, leave it running whilst you get your jacket, helmet & gloves on, and that seems to solve most of the problems. Doesn't always work, even with my Triumph America, the engine would still randomly cut out slowing down from motorway speeds on slip roads, or going round roundabouts !! My Mash, would cut out, occasionally, until I started letting it warm up, after I started doing that, never had another cut out. On my little 125 (Mondial) the temp gauge on the dashboard flashes until it's deemed warm enough to ride..

The Superlight is fairly low powered, even by 125 standards, and I guess relatively heavy. Just picked one up for my daughter with 22Km's on the clock, as, that's the bike she wants to move up to when she's 17. Got it for a good price, and rode it home, quite a pleasant ride, but what is it with the indicator buttons !! Shocked

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:07 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a simple adjustment that can be made to the EFI on my Enfield to the Throttle Position Sensor that causes slightly richer running - TPS resting voltage at idle should be 0.6v +/- 0.2v, so can be tweaked up to 0.8v to make it richer (WOT should be 5.0v).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiX8oFtYZls

Might be a completely different kettle of shite, but I'd be looking at seeing if there's an equivalent on your bike.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:12 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
...what is it with the indicator buttons !! Shocked

The bike is a mixture of blatant copying of Harley's (switches especially) and Honda CG125 (engine.)

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:18 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
There's a simple adjustment that can be made to the EFI on my Enfield to the Throttle Position Sensor that causes slightly richer running - TPS resting voltage at idle should be 0.6v +/- 0.2v, so can be tweaked up to 0.8v to make it richer (WOT should be 5.0v).

Might be a completely different kettle of shite, but I'd be looking at seeing if there's an equivalent on your bike.

I watched that video (but I can't have audio going in the office) what was the tweak? I can rotate the TPS a few degrees to set the base idle RPMs but I can't see what else I can do.

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you even get someone to map it? I doubt it

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:26 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thought: could I do something to the output of the lambda sensor to get it to "lie" to the ECU, just a itty-bitty little white lie?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

The bike is a mixture of blatant copying of Harley's (switches especially) and Honda CG125 (engine.)

Is it, blatant copying, I would have thought if the was the case, then HD would be far from happy, and, yet, they are getting them to build the smaller capacity Harley's for them in China

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:31 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the price they cost and how much they depreciate, I'd honestly sell it and buy a Japanese bike. Preferably one over 125cc... So I'd spend the money I was going to spend on a remap on doing your test, and then chop the Keeway in for something decent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:39 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
At the price they cost and how much they depreciate, I'd honestly sell it and buy a Japanese bike. Preferably one over 125cc... So I'd spend the money I was going to spend on a remap on doing your test, and then chop the Keeway in for something decent.

I don't have my full licence.... yet Smile But obviously after that the Superlight's going. Mod 1 is booked for this Friday.

Never had a pile of money sitting about for a remap any way. Just wondering if there's anything else I could do...

If I added a variable resistor to the oxygen sensor output could I override/manually tune the mixture by fibbing to the ECU?

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:24 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

I watched that video (but I can't have audio going in the office) what was the tweak? I can rotate the TPS a few degrees to set the base idle RPMs but I can't see what else I can do.

The tweak is to rotate the body of the TPS to fool the EFI into thinking the butterfly is open wider than it is, so it adds more fuel. Could be a completely different setup on your bike, but worth experimenting with if (a) you have a similar arrangement and (b) you make a note of what it was when you started Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems your just trying to correct a tiny lean stumble or hesitation outside of the normal operating rpm range. Maybe an Autist at a loose end desperate for a reason to do some electronic fiddling to satisfy the voices in your head?

And you can't re-map a bike at home as you won't have a clue what to do or change in the maps and what effect it has. You also have no way of measuring CO and oxygen sensor readings, and no way to put the engine under load to simulate a riding exercise. Part of me says your one of them that would buy a wide band kit for £££'s just because you have to know and must fiddle and work things out at any cost to satisfy the way your brain ticks?

But to answer your question yes it's just as worthwhile to re-map a 125 as it is to re-map a GSXR1000. But only if:

1, your making significant exhaust or intake changes, or removing all the emissions control equipment like EGR and catalytic converters etc. Possibly making the bike deliberately illegal for road use, or for racing where there's no emissions regulations imposed.

2, if your doing all of the above for performance and drivability reasons and want maximum power, throttle response and the ideal performance oriented fueling and mapping.

If not yes to both then I wouldn't bother doing anything personally, and I trust a good bike tuner with a load cell dyno far more than your twisted sperg brain that won't let you leave it alone.

Remember you can also re-map for cleaner emissions or for better fuel economy, but you can only have one attribute at a time, and mapping an engine for the best possible clean emissions is crippling it in any chance of it running really well and to its best potential.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:38 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but no but...

Indeed the voices in my head are yammering but personally I'm only interested in things that aren't a pointless waste of money and things that are interesting to do just for interest's sake.

Setting up a "home dyno" sounds like way too much effort obviously but it is annoying that it's only a sliver out of wack and yet there's nothing (practically) that can be done about it.

It also annoys me en principe that I have vehicle that in one aspect isn't mine as I'm subservient to a "closed shop" of ECU tuning. Wasteful and finicky as old carbs are at least they're yours to do with as you will...

I shouldn't be an idealist at my age Wink

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:42 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
The tweak is to rotate the body of the TPS to fool the EFI into thinking the butterfly is open wider than it is, so it adds more fuel. Could be a completely different setup on your bike, but worth experimenting with if (a) you have a similar arrangement and (b) you make a note of what it was when you started Smile

Yes, it is exactly the same. If I loosen off a bolt the throttle sensor can rotate a couple of degrees but this only changes the idle revs. It's the equivalent of twisting the throttle slightly, the dead spot will still be there Sad Nice try though.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: EFI remaps, worth the bother on a 125? Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Obviously with Euro 4 and Cats bikes tend to be tuned on the lean side for emissions

Why, and why don't they therefore have a flat spot throught the rev. range?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:18 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, the cat likes it hot (cue Ste gif!) but that comes at the expense of shortening the life of the rest of the engine Sad

I would guess that "big name" manufacturers spend a bit more effort on their "emissions friendly" maps, VW even went just that little bit further for their customers Wink

I don't suppose the Chinese spent quite as much time on the dyno with their copies creations.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:43 - 29 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Here's a thought: could I do something to the output of the lambda sensor to get it to "lie" to the ECU, just a itty-bitty little white lie?

I reckon you could...
The lambda sensor works on a preset range of current & voltage ..
https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/23933/how-do-lambda-sensors-work#23934
...so you may get the result you require by simply adding a low ohms resistor inline?
Measure what you've got, quick VIR/PIV calc add a resistor of the resulting value, and you got a tweak.

Just a thought. Smile In fact now I read your post again..exactly what you said.. Embarassed

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 29 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bunging a resistor in is a bit crude as this assumes a linear response and will just skew the map a bit (or a lot) with a static resistor and may not give positive results.
The sensors behaviour and effect will vary with temp, throttle setting and load so this a project worthy of interfacing an mcu to, rather than making a flasher relay.

I'd start by putting a scope, or at least a meter on it to study its behaviour and understanding that as best I could before making changes.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 01 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what about if the OP wanted to alter the open loop WOT high rpm and under load fueling or the ignition timing? Fudging the Lambda sensor output with resistors etc won't do a damn thing to change full throttle fueling.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:35 - 01 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I thought it might be more complicated than it sounded. I wouldn't bother on my 125 but has anybody taken a look at the "Open" ECU efforts?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 298 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1