Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Trouser length and riding up my leg

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Trouser length and riding up my leg Reply with quote

I'm a 32 inch leg.
Kevlar jean length is perfect standing, perfect sitting on the bike. As soon as I add some armour into the knee, the jeans ride too high above my boot letting wind shoot up my leg. Its fkin annoying.
I've tried 33 inch leg jeans before which were OK sat on the bike but the hem literally wore away from the heel of my boot treading on them because they were too long.
Whats the fix? Other than just removing all knee armour. Because to be honest I'm not all that convinced it will do much in an off, it moves around so much anyway, can literally twist it 2 inches left or right with my hand

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:40 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MILITARY-TROUSER-TWISTS-TWISTERS-ELASTIC/dp/B00O6ILE5M

There are probably better quality ones if you have a look around, or just make your own.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:55 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highly mobile armour is, arguably, worse than no armour at all because it can cause stress-risers at the edge of the armour if it lands up in the wrong place.

Other suggestions include fitting elastic "stirrups", wearing longer socks, wearing gaiters and blousing your trousers over your boots in a military style using twisties. You may be able to anchor the armour using velcro strips somehow?

Or ditch the armour.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Trouser length and riding up my leg Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:
I'm a 32 inch leg.
Kevlar jean length is perfect standing, perfect sitting on the bike. As soon as I add some armour into the knee, the jeans ride too high above my boot letting wind shoot up my leg. Its fkin annoying.
I've tried 33 inch leg jeans before which were OK sat on the bike but the hem literally wore away from the heel of my boot treading on them because they were too long.
Whats the fix? Other than just removing all knee armour. Because to be honest I'm not all that convinced it will do much in an off, it moves around so much anyway, can literally twist it 2 inches left or right with my hand

Exactly this! Both my brother and I had our bike jeans altered - even going to the touble of measuring when crouched. Nevertheless if wearing ankle boots I get a draft. Mine were only ebay jobs but his were fancy 'Furygen' type..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:37 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I have soft armour, and this is why my hood jeans force the armour to sit centrally over my knees.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:05 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Riders-Trend-100323-B-15-17-Height-16/dp/B008NVZU8A
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh... "Half Chap" means something entirely different round my way Shifty

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the suggestions given I'll try those trouser twist things first.
Failing that, trim the armour down so its so small it doesn't hog the extra inches of denim.
Failing that, ride without armour for shorter trips, wear leathers for tours.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
You may be able to anchor the armour using velcro strips somehow?

This. My IXS trousers came with Velcro attached to the knee armour and the inside of the armour pockets, so you can position it really accurately and it stays put. Really wouldn't be hard to DIY that set-up for any kit

Yorkshire Geek
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:26 - 23 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
This is why I have soft armour, and this is why my hood jeans force the armour to sit centrally over my knees.

And this is why the answer to any question about kevlar jeans is "Buy Hood".

Well, unless the question is "What kevlar jeans can I buy that won't make me look Clarkson?"

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:40 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same issue, I now buy 34 leg. But prior to that two large elastic bands attached at the bottom as stirrups worked fine for me.

I also use sealskin socks that come higher than the boot anyway so no real issue with wind anymore.

👍

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:29 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear tights instead of nylons.
Should keep your flaps from getting chilled.
Very Happy

NakedBiker
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:54 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

What do you mean by soft armour? D3O?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 300 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1