BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A2 - MOD 1&2

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

lazy12
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:18 - 23 Jun 2019    Post subject: A2 - MOD 1&2 Reply with quote

Gonna be booking my A2 training and tests in 3 days it’s my first time so I’m getting a bit worried, I’ve been practicing on my 125 and I reckon observations I should be fine with that but I’m panicking about it, anyone got any advice for me before I take my tests?

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 23 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find a drink before hand to calm the nerves helps.

flearider
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:09 - 23 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

best way to release stress smack one off before ..

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:31 - 23 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which part(s) are you worried about?

jayspeedy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:32 - 23 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you've ridden on the road before and have some confidence on the road you should be good man, just enjoy it. also the pad you practice your a1 on is probably A LOT smaller than the pad in the test centre so the speed traps are a non issue

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:20 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much treasure to be found on the Interwebs:

Theory test multiple choice? Read the highway code (online for free) and take the DVSA practice tests.

Theory test hazard perception? Watch all of Dashcam Australia on YouTube.

Mod 1: Loads of vids of people doing actual real tests on what to me looks almost a football pitch sized area, loads of room. You can get 20mph round the bend for the stops and swerves no bother.

I'm currently spending some quality time doing full lock U turns in various car parks before my Mod 1 at the end of the week. Important lessons: look where you want to go, not at the rev counter, not at the floor, not at the approaching bollard... etc. second, and most important, belief. If you believe it can be done (and your instructors prove it to ppl day in day and and then their students pass their tests so it can't be that hard) then you can start to believe you can do it and it's a real achievable thing!

Mod 2: get into the habit of life savers, mirror checks and indicators 'cos you know what? they're actually meant to, you know, save your life so get on it!

Finally, nobody ever "fails" their Mod 1 or 2, those are just practice sessions and you'll definitely nail it on the next go Wink

Best of luck!

lazy12
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:19 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Which part(s) are you worried about?

Mostly observations and the U-turn, I can pull a nice uturn in 3 car park spaces (7.3m) and at a width of 7.0m approximately however the lifesaver before committing is what gets me, I’m not sure if I am allowed to stop and pause to make that observation before committing to the actual turn, otherwise it throws me off balance since I’m not completely focusing on where the bike needs to end up

lazy12
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:21 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jayspeedy wrote:
if you've ridden on the road before and have some confidence on the road you should be good man, just enjoy it. also the pad you practice your a1 on is probably A LOT smaller than the pad in the test centre so the speed traps are a non issue

I’m fairly certain I’ll fly through the speed traps perfectly, I’ve got about 25k miles on my 125 experience, would you say the bikes are easier or harder to control than a skinny 125? Cause I can imagine the thicker tyres have a lot better grip in turns, etc?

lazy12
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:24 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Much treasure to be found on the Interwebs:

Theory test multiple choice? Read the highway code (online for free) and take the DVSA practice tests.

Theory test hazard perception? Watch all of Dashcam Australia on YouTube.

Mod 1: Loads of vids of people doing actual real tests on what to me looks almost a football pitch sized area, loads of room. You can get 20mph round the bend for the stops and swerves no bother.

I'm currently spending some quality time doing full lock U turns in various car parks before my Mod 1 at the end of the week. Important lessons: look where you want to go, not at the rev counter, not at the floor, not at the approaching bollard... etc. second, and most important, belief. If you believe it can be done (and your instructors prove it to ppl day in day and and then their students pass their tests so it can't be that hard) then you can start to believe you can do it and it's a real achievable thing!

Mod 2: get into the habit of life savers, mirror checks and indicators 'cos you know what? they're actually meant to, you know, save your life so get on it!

Finally, nobody ever "fails" their Mod 1 or 2, those are just practice sessions and you'll definitely nail it on the next go Wink

Best of luck!

Passed the theory test first time with all the practicing before hand,
I’m in a lifesaver-habit but mirror checking isn’t my thing, probably since I spent 6 months riding without mirrors, thanks for the help! Smile

lazy12
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:25 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

flearider wrote:

I’ll give it a shot! Laughing

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

Best of luck!

Which is good, as, whilst here are a couple of manouvers @19mph, there's also a couple @32mph

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might find this link useful..

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/motorcycle-manoeuvring-area-diagrams

lazy12
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:29 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
HardlyDavidson wrote:

Best of luck!

Which is good, as, whilst here are a couple of manouvers @19mph, there's also a couple @32mph

I’m gonna assume the controlled stop, emergency stop and swerve I should be fairly okay with seeing as all three of them is something I actively have to do on the roads weekly (potholes, taxi drivers, impatient drivers, traffic lights)

I’m gonna book in for it now and see if I can get in for it on Thursday, supposed to be 25 and sunny so should make things easier!

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

flearider wrote:

Our instructor even pointed out the disabled toilet at the test centre as a useful "venue" for such activities. Laughing

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:26 - 28 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have been riding a 125 competently and safely for a while then you will be fine. That's what I did and passed both first time.

Good luck

lazy12
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:36 - 28 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAYK47 wrote:
If you have been riding a 125 competently and safely for a while then you will be fine. That's what I did and passed both first time.

Good luck

Been about a year now so I should have enough miles on me

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:26 - 28 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

lazy12 wrote:

You will be fine, I only rode mine for about it 3 months. The truth is you will find it easier on the 600, it's more planted and feels safer.

Don't be frightened to give it the beans on the emergency stop and avoidance, the surface is a lot grippier than the road. All you need to worry about with those is your speed, you will naturally be slightly slower than your practices, I don't know if this is nerves but I was consistently between 55 and 57kmh on my practices. But I had to redo the avoidance as I was only 48kmh. I reckon I was just being too careful.

lazy12
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:35 - 28 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAYK47 wrote:
lazy12 wrote:

You will be fine, I only rode mine for about it 3 months. The truth is you will find it easier on the 600, it's more planted and feels safer.

Don't be frightened to give it the beans on the emergency stop and avoidance, the surface is a lot grippier than the road. All you need to worry about with those is your speed, you will naturally be slightly slower than your practices, I don't know if this is nerves but I was consistently between 55 and 57kmh on my practices. But I had to redo the avoidance as I was only 48kmh. I reckon I was just being too careful.

Did they let you redo the avoidance on the same test or did it mean you had to retake it?

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:12 - 28 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

lazy12 wrote:
]

Did they let you redo the avoidance on the same test or did it mean you had to retake it?

If you are only a couple of KM under they will ask you to do it again. If you are too far under its a fail. Like I said, once you are round the bend open her up and keep accelerating until the cones. If you lift off too early you will lose too much speed (which I did), the engine breaking is hard.

lazy12
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:41 - 28 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAYK47 wrote:
lazy12 wrote:
]

If you are only a couple of KM under they will ask you to do it again. If you are too far under its a fail. Like I said, once you are round the bend open her up and keep accelerating until the cones. If you lift off too early you will lose too much speed (which I did), the engine breaking is hard.

I’ve got my first lesson on Monday so I’ll get to actually experience the bike I’ll be doing my test on, but I’m thinking maybe it’ll be easier on a bigger bike doing things like U-Turns, avoidance is worrying but it’s 32MPH so if I try aim for 35 I’m guessing I’ll be okay? I’m doing it on a GS500

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:52 - 28 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

lazy12 wrote:

I’ve got my first lesson on Monday so I’ll get to actually experience the bike I’ll be doing my test on, but I’m thinking maybe it’ll be easier on a bigger bike doing things like U-Turns, avoidance is worrying but it’s 32MPH so if I try aim for 35 I’m guessing I’ll be okay? I’m doing it on a GS500

Nice, enjoy it. You will get used to it very quickly.

I did mine on a CB650F and manoeuvres were far easier than on my CB125F. I found the 125 needed more coaxing round corners and at slow speeds it was nowhere near as planted on the road.

Just remember to look where you are going and the bike will follow, never look at the floor or you will wobble and could end up down there.

I found it better to not look at the Speedo. Just hard acceleration as soon as you straighten up was pretty much spot on for speed as long as you stay on it until you get to the cones. Your instructor will give you the tops you need. You have plenty of space for all your manoeuvres so just be steady, clutch and rear brake are your friend.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:53 - 29 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished my Mod 1 on MT07 and here are my tips...

No.1 priority: drill yourself with stop, neutral (chat to examiner) get in gear, Stevie Wonder, pull away. Every missed shoulder check is a minor (except the U-turn, which is a major) and you have 8 opportunities to fuck up the most basic survival skill.

2) Act like your under examination at all times. And that includes even sitting about in the waiting area. Nobody is going to give Jack the Lad the benefit of the doubt in the test area. (Also, you are being offically examined as soon as you jump on the bike, not just inside the gates of the test area.)

3) Take your time, average test takes 7 minutes but the time allowed is 20 mins. Don't rush yourself. Stop, into neutral, turn off engine, kickstand down... breath! Slowly, methodically, 1, 2, 3, 4... and relax Smile

4) Don't be afraid to ask the examiner to repeat stuff. Mine tapped at the chart and I had to point out he'd got the colours mixed up in his vocal description (right hand bend: red cones on the left, blue cones on the right.) There are no bonus points to pick up but if you can demonstrate you're observant the examiner might be generous somewhere. Don't rely on or expect such generosity but it can't hurt!

5) Think ahead. The parking test is from one box to t'other. Pick the box furthest away from you. In the slow "walking pace" test you'll probably be at a bit of an angle to the destination box - adjust course on the way to end up square in the box.

6) The tricky stuff: probably for most people it's either the U-turn or the swerve or both! For the U-turn if you can get your bike to do a full-lock turn on the figure of 8 when practising then why can't you piss all over the U-turn?! Just nerves and belief in yourself. Try practising the U-turn on a bay a metre narrower on the test (although a good instructor should be cheeky enough to already do this!) And observations! Setting off and as you make the turn - it seems like a lot of stuff to do all at once Smile Hopefully you can separate in your mind control of the bike and what your head's doing; if not, practice some more! Personally I see it as more a mental thing so do some practice on your own bike when you have time and a suitable location (luckily I have stacks of car parks round my way that are quiet in the evening.)

Remember on the swerve you need to go through the speed trap. Nobody said you had to go dead centre through the cones! If you slightly hug the left or right side (depending on which way round your course is set up) you only need to flick the bike out a tiny bit to hug the blue cone on your opposite side. No dramatic countersteering techniques required! And, as ever, listen to your instructors: don't fixate on the cones, look at where you want to go.

tl;dr I listened to my instructors, I did okay.

lazy12
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:47 - 29 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Just finished my Mod 1 on MT07 and here are my tips...

No.1 priority: drill yourself with stop, neutral (chat to examiner) get in gear, Stevie Wonder, pull away. Every missed shoulder check is a minor (except the U-turn, which is a major) and you have 8 opportunities to fuck up the most basic survival skill.

2) Act like your under examination at all times. And that includes even sitting about in the waiting area. Nobody is going to give Jack the Lad the benefit of the doubt in the test area. (Also, you are being offically examined as soon as you jump on the bike, not just inside the gates of the test area.)

3) Take your time, average test takes 7 minutes but the time allowed is 20 mins. Don't rush yourself. Stop, into neutral, turn off engine, kickstand down... breath! Slowly, methodically, 1, 2, 3, 4... and relax Smile

4) Don't be afraid to ask the examiner to repeat stuff. Mine tapped at the chart and I had to point out he'd got the colours mixed up in his vocal description (right hand bend: red cones on the left, blue cones on the right.) There are no bonus points to pick up but if you can demonstrate you're observant the examiner might be generous somewhere. Don't rely on or expect such generosity but it can't hurt!

5) Think ahead. The parking test is from one box to t'other. Pick the box furthest away from you. In the slow "walking pace" test you'll probably be at a bit of an angle to the destination box - adjust course on the way to end up square in the box.

6) The tricky stuff: probably for most people it's either the U-turn or the swerve or both! For the U-turn if you can get your bike to do a full-lock turn on the figure of 8 when practising then why can't you piss all over the U-turn?! Just nerves and belief in yourself. Try practising the U-turn on a bay a metre narrower on the test (although a good instructor should be cheeky enough to already do this!) And observations! Setting off and as you make the turn - it seems like a lot of stuff to do all at once Smile Hopefully you can separate in your mind control of the bike and what your head's doing; if not, practice some more! Personally I see it as more a mental thing so do some practice on your own bike when you have time and a suitable location (luckily I have stacks of car parks round my way that are quiet in the evening.)

Remember on the swerve you need to go through the speed trap. Nobody said you had to go dead centre through the cones! If you slightly hug the left or right side (depending on which way round your course is set up) you only need to flick the bike out a tiny bit to hug the blue cone on your opposite side. No dramatic countersteering techniques required! And, as ever, listen to your instructors: don't fixate on the cones, look at where you want to go.

tl;dr I listened to my instructors, I did okay.

Thanks for all the advice, it’s really helped! Smile
And since starting this thread I’ve been constantly practicing my U-Turns on the road after a few hours in the car park seeing as doing it on the road forces me into doing lifesavers and making habit of it so I’ve nailed that now!

I’ll post back when I’ve done the test and let you know how it goes!

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:43 - 30 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't overthink it, practice, test, pass - win.

If you don't get it first time don't worry.

lazy12
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:35 - 01 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

B0ndy wrote:
Don't overthink it, practice, test, pass - win.

If you don't get it first time don't worry.

I think I’ve got my confidence riding on a big bike now, was plopped on an NC750, had three issues today regarding positioning, distance from cars at lights and cornering, first two I’m gonna practice for the next few days on the 125 since those are mainly just bad habits picked up over the year, the cornering isn’t something I can practice on the 125 as I’m already doing it perfectly on that, the bigger machine is a little bit more complicated to turn so a few more hours on that and I should pick that one up quickly, aside from that he’d mentioned no other issues so I think once those are smoothed out I should be fine for the Mod 2, the Mod 1 however I’ll definitely need some U-Turn practice to get that right since the bigger machine is a lot harder to flick about than the skinny light weight 125.

As far as the avoidance I managed to successfully demonstrate it to my instructor today by no choice of my own after some idiot decided to try running in front of the bike and I had to swerve him as to not hit him since there was no space for braking (there was about a foot and I was doing 30), he didn’t tell me off or mention it so I think I did well on that Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 297 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2