Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motorbike parking fees in Waltham Forest Borough

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

vanderbale
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:00 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Motorbike parking fees in Waltham Forest Borough Reply with quote

I found out recently that Chingford station road (A1069) is going to start charging motorbikes to park on the high street from July 1st 2019 onwards. These parking charges are being rolled out across the Waltham Forest Borough so lots of bikers will be affected.

I've written an email to the council members in the hope they will reconsider for these reasons:

1. Motorbikes reduce congestion and pollute less than cars therefore we need to encourage not punish its use on our high streets.
2. The income of local businesses will be reduced if motorbike owners go elsewhere.

There are other valid reasons to object but I want to keep this short. If you want to do something similar I've listed their emails below (change AT to @) and a link to their details.

The 3 councillers details can be found here:
https://democracy.walthamforest.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=3876
https://democracy.walthamforest.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=269
https://democracy.walthamforest.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=5248

cllr.kay.isa AT walthamforest.gov.uk
cllr.andrew.hemsted AT walthamforest.gov.uk
Cllr.Nick.Halebi AT walthamforest.gov.uk
wfdirect AT walthamforest.gov.uk (general email)

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:57 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm absolutely sure this is all just some big mistake and will be rectified immediately once their attention is brought to it. Rolling Eyes
Personally my belief is that they couldn't give a fig what you or anyone else thinks of their plans and they're going
ahead anyway. Do let us know how you get on though, it's hard to find a genuine belly laugh these days.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:31 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's inside the M25, so nothing will improve until users of powered 2 wheeled transport are hanging from gibbets around the North Circular.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

vanderbale
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:36 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah likely, I think other boroughs will be watching to see how successful it is and probably do the same if no one complains.

If you want a proper belly laugh I suggest you check out their web page:
https://walthamforest.gov.uk/content/motorcycle%20parking%20in%20waltham%20forest

Reasons to introduce charges:
"As a borough, Waltham Forest is committed to lowering our carbon footprint and to reducing co2 emissions in general. "

"Another reason for the change is due to the fact that we have introduced virtual permits and payment options, which allows motorcycles to make payment safely and securely. "

"In addition we have had a number of reports of anti-social behaviour linked to moped use; we hope this additional form of parking control will help prevent and deter this by making it easier for our enforcement teams to move on such nuisance vehicles."

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a trend with councils looking to make easy money.
Up in the North (true North - not Sheffield..) the county councils are raging some sort of mini war on those they can get money out of. Motorists for example.
Yes they claim to consult with the county population on new charges but so far I've not managed to find a single piece of information about that group of people.

Have a story from Alnwick. (not the same but worth a read!)

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/writing-wall-resident-who-furious-16456503

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:27 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
It's a trend with councils looking to make easy money.

And that is the bottom line for any 'ecological' tax.

Stick climate change, emissions or air quality in any proposition and no one is really going to object as it puts them in denier bracket and therefore not worth listening to, eh Donald and MPD?

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:53 - 22 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I right in that London is to have vehicle free days now?
If they are, are those in charge stupid? I'm serious - have they lost their minds??

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 22 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a tiny little car park in the centre of my town that had been free for local shoppers for years. Then some bright spark at the council thought to apply charges for no particular reason...

And then they found they had to put the prices up dramatically to a) pay for the machine and b) pay for a traffic warden.

On the upsides it's creating jobs out of thin air so that's something Shocked

Old Sod
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 07:18 - 23 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they first decided to charge bikes for parking in Westminster it had this effect. I took this shot midday on a regular Friday (not a bank holiday).

https://i.ibb.co/HhWvbf9/Westminster-mcycle-chg-effects.jpg

This was just off Victoria Street SW1.

Vehicle free days? I hope that includes buses, taxis and bicycles. Shops will close, and they should sue Councils for loss of trade.

vanderbale
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:27 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some news, Councilor Andrew Hemsted replied back the day after I sent the email in agreement. Unfortunately my email mistook this for spam so I've only just realised.

Quote:
"
Please rest assured I am in agreement with you 100% on this issue, and will do all I can to stop this from happening.

I have copied in the Leader of Waltham Forest Conservative Group, Cllr Alan Siggers as well. He himself is a keen biker, often seen in the area on his Harley, and I know he feels the same way.

Can you tell me how many people you have spoken to about this? It might be something I can help with a public campaign

Regards

Andy"

Not getting my hopes up just yet but it's a good start.

I think if more people email it would give them a stronger case for stopping these charges kicking in.

Alan's email: alansiggers AT yahoo.co.uk
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 278 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1