Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

buying a bike.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

taz-uk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:43 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: buying a bike. Reply with quote

Hello BCF members

I’m looking to buy my 2nd motorcycle. My first was an old cb Honda 70 abroad. Im hoping to pass my DAS by mid july. Ive booked everything with Valley bike school Rawtenstall( all lessons and mod 1 even mod 2( if I fail mod 1 the day mod 2 will become mod 1)), done my theory test, and my CBT in the past week.

I would like to buy something brand new, and then keep it for about 10 years. Something that’s reliable, and can take me on my daily commute of 50 miles ( mostly motorway) plus the odd tour.

The bike that I had my eye on was the V-Strom 650, as it ticks the boxes I want it to except the part that I would want to keep it for 10 years. As many say that they’ll eventually outgrow it. V-strom 1000 would be too much bike for me right now. I have gone and sat on the V-strom 650 in Blackburn. Felt a bit tall, but it was a hot day and I was wearing sandals like an idiot!

Another bike is the BMW f800r, right now I can get it on an interest Free deal, which is something I’m very keen on. Researching PCP, I’ve come to realise its not the right way to go about getting a motorcycle.

So, should I go with a V-strom 650 ( insurance quote £500), or the BMW f800r ( insurance quote £900), I don’t mind the first few years insurance being a little high, it comes down. Both insurance quotes have commuting added to them.

Besides the above 2, i am open to suggestions. Although keep in mind I want to own the bike for long term.

I’m in mid-30`s and weigh around 130kg, 5 ft 9”, on the short side for inside leg.

sorry for the cliched title, couldn't think of anything witty!

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: buying a bike. Reply with quote

taz-uk wrote:
I would like to buy something brand new, and then keep it for about 10 years.

My advice would be ... forget that.

With no big-bike experience, I doubt you'll pick a bike first-time that will suit you for 10 years.

Buy something used. Try it out. Sell it and buy something different. Repeat.

taz-uk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:22 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: buying a bike. Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
taz-uk wrote:
I would like to buy something brand new, and then keep it for about 10 years.

My advice would be ... forget that.

With no big-bike experience, I doubt you'll pick a bike first-time that will suit you for 10 years.

Buy something used. Try it out. Sell it and buy something different. Repeat.

thanks for the reply mate,
am i not going to lose a lot of money this way? buy a bike for 4k, sell it for ... what 2k?

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: buying a bike. Reply with quote

taz-uk wrote:

am i not going to lose a lot of money this way? buy a bike for 4k, sell it for ... what 2k?

You only really see big depreciation on new bikes. If you buy a used bike for 4k, and sell it a few months later, why do you think it would be worth 2k less?

Chances are you'll lose a few hundred tops.

taz-uk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:33 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: buying a bike. Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
taz-uk wrote:

You only really see big depreciation on new bikes. If you buy a used bike for 4k, and sell it a few months later, why do you think it would be worth 2k less?

Chances are you'll lose a few hundred tops.

thank you for that. I'm a pessimist. never see the glass half full type of person. obviously thats my own insecurity. but thanks for pointing that out that i'll lose a few hundred quid. thats manageable.
are you referring to bikes bought from dealer, used. or bought from private sellers on Auto trader?

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:11 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: buying a bike. Reply with quote

taz-uk wrote:

thank you for that. I'm a pessimist. never see the glass half full type of person. obviously thats my own insecurity. but thanks for pointing that out that i'll lose a few hundred quid. thats manageable.
are you referring to bikes bought from dealer, used. or bought from private sellers on Auto trader?

I'd recommend private sellers on autotrader, gumtree or Ebay. I would say Facebook Marketplace but I've seen some suspect sellers on there.

Dealers tend to have such a high markup that you may as well just buy a new bike if you're going the dealer route. My current bike costed £2400 and it runs perfectly, only 12k on the clock. If I bought from a dealer then £2400 would only get me a 125 or a rusty pos with 35k miles.

If you look around (or even if you don't look around much) then £4k should get you a very good 2nd bike.

taz-uk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:24 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: buying a bike. Reply with quote

SDFarsight wrote:

I'd recommend private sellers on autotrader, gumtree or Ebay. I would say Facebook Marketplace but I've seen some suspect sellers on there.

Dealers tend to have such a high markup that you may as well just buy a new bike if you're going the dealer route. My current bike costed £2400 and it runs perfectly, only 12k on the clock. If I bought from a dealer then £2400 would only get me a 125 or a rusty pos with 35k miles.

If you look around (or even if you don't look around much) then £4k should get you a very good 2nd bike.

thanks mate.
will look into this. so far i see more newish bikes with dealers than private sellers.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:58 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realistically 10 years of a 50 mile commute is going to put a bike a long way over 100,000 miles. If it lasts that long. I do similar milage and tend to change bikes every 2 years or so, admittedly often because they've been crashed or stolen, which over a ten year period is just as likely to kill a bike as outright milage.

As per others I'd buy a bike privately, buy smart and look after it and you won't lose too much each year in depreciation. I've had somewhere between 10-15 bikes since 2006, never bought from a dealer, only one has been a bit of a lemon, and actually even then not all much.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 19 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you need to work out is the maths. You buy a new bike, and the depreciation hit is fastest the moment you wheel it out of the showroom. There is a run-in period. You will bring it back in for the first 2 scheduled services at least, you will iron out any faults or defects or recall issues, and if you sell it at that point, whoever buys it from you has got the best deal out of all the owners that that bike will ever have. Meanwhile you will have taken the biggest hit to the wallet out of all the owners that bike will ever have.

Are you really going to stick with a bike, from new, for 10 years and run it to the ground by commuting with it? Personally, I doubt it. You will want a change. Ten years and experience of just one big bike in that time? I can't see it happening. But then, I don't know you. The way different people do things is different.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:37 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, for some bikes, there's not much between new and near new prices.... hehe, well if you buy from dealers any way Wink so I can see how someone would be tempted; especially with a 0% finance deal.

I suppose it depends on how confident you are with your own wrenching skillz. Personally I always assume a second hand bike hasn't been looked after and that any new bike will have plenty of bits they forgot to torque to the right specs at the factory.

However, there is a very satisfying feeling getting any brand new vehicle...

What We Do in the Shadows wrote:
Deacon : I think we drink virgin blood because it sounds cool.
Vladislav : I think of it like this. If you are going to eat a sandwich, you would just enjoy it more if you knew no one had fucked it.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not buy a shiny new bike for your 1st bike, especially if you're commuting on it. If it were me, I's spend a couple grand on comfy bike that's been well looked after. I've always had ~ 10 year old bikes, not much has gone wrong. The other issue is, you might drop it or have a minor off. Best to make these little mistakes with a used bike.

Plus your 50 mile commute will keep you busy with consumables and maintenance. You'll need to learn how to do all that stuff yourself if you want to save yourself £100's by not taking to a garage. Wet commuting, road salt, dirt, all takes it's toll.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

taz-uk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:09 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Realistically 10 years of a 50 mile commute is going to put a bike a long way over 100,000 miles.

thanks for your reply dude, i was working yesterday so couldn't reply yesterday. i was planning to only ride it to work on nice sunny days, not an everyday thing. so maybe 4000 miles a year max.

taz-uk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:18 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
What you need to work out is the maths. You buy a new bike, and the depreciation hit is fastest the moment you wheel it out of the showroom. There is a run-in period. You will bring it back in for the first 2 scheduled services at least, you will iron out any faults or defects or recall issues, and if you sell it at that point, whoever buys it from you has got the best deal out of all the owners that that bike will ever have. Meanwhile you will have taken the biggest hit to the wallet out of all the owners that bike will ever have.

Are you really going to stick with a bike, from new, for 10 years and run it to the ground by commuting with it? Personally, I doubt it. You will want a change. Ten years and experience of just one big bike in that time? I can't see it happening. But then, I don't know you. The way different people do things is different.

Ive done the same with my car. its 8 year old, i did this with my previous car, i didn't sell it, gave it to my brother( who destroyed it). so yeah, i want guidance on a bike that i wont regret when I keep it long term.

taz-uk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:34 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
To be fair, for some bikes, there's not much between new and near new prices.... hehe, well if you buy from dealers any way Wink so I can see how someone would be tempted; especially with a 0% finance deal.

I suppose it depends on how confident you are with your own wrenching skillz. Personally I always assume a second hand bike hasn't been looked after and that any new bike will have plenty of bits they forgot to torque to the right specs at the factory.

However, there is a very satisfying feeling getting any brand new vehicle...

Deacon : I think we drink virgin blood because it sounds cool.
Vladislav : I think of it like this. If you are going to eat a sandwich, you would just enjoy it more if you knew no one had fucked it.

exactly mate, if a 2/3 year old bike was 50% of the new bike, then i wouldnt look at a new bike and go for that. but as the prices are so close. like 1500 quid apart, makes me think a new one will be better off.

Last edited by taz-uk on 12:07 - 21 Jun 2019; edited 1 time in total

taz-uk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:37 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
I would not buy a shiny new bike for your 1st bike, especially if you're commuting on it. If it were me, I's spend a couple grand on comfy bike that's been well looked after. I've always had ~ 10 year old bikes, not much has gone wrong. The other issue is, you might drop it or have a minor off. Best to make these little mistakes with a used bike.

Plus your 50 mile commute will keep you busy with consumables and maintenance. You'll need to learn how to do all that stuff yourself if you want to save yourself £100's by not taking to a garage. Wet commuting, road salt, dirt, all takes it's toll.

i can definitely see your point there. if I go with this route, what used bike would you recommend?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with the advice not to buy new; however not so much about buying privately. Yes it'll be much cheaper than going via a dealer, but particularly if the OP doesn't have any experience (as it appears) he has a very much higher chance of getting royally stitched up with a private sale. At least going to a reputable dealer he'll have a bit of a comeback legally if he ends up buying a total dog.

For the buyer who has half a clue about bikes and what to look for when buying a second-hand one (and I imagine everyone on this thread who's in favour of private sales falls into that category) then I totally agree that a private purchase is the way forward.

taz-uk wrote:
V-strom 1000 would be too much bike for me right now. I have gone and sat on the V-strom 650 in Blackburn. Felt a bit tall

A V-Strom 650 was my first 'big' bike (after a 30-year hiatus) and it was a brilliant all-rounder; I certainly have no regrets about buying it. It's very well thought of and many who've tried both prefer it to the 1000 version. There's an active dedicated UK forum you might want to check out. BTW, you mentioned it seeming a bit tall, in common with a lot of other 'adventure' bikes - be aware that there are standard seats available at three different heights - I changed mine to the lowest one.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to put the boot on the other foot what would be valid reasons to buy a brand new bike?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 23 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
what would be valid reasons to buy a brand new bike?

This. Nothing else.
HardlyDavidson wrote:

It simply depends what amount of cash you are prepared to pay for that knowledge

Zakeo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:33 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Just to put the boot on the other foot what would be valid reasons to buy a brand new bike?

I don't think it needs any reason,if it does,too many.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:24 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

taz-uk wrote:
if I go with this route, what used bike would you recommend?

For a great second hand commuter tool I've always fancied the F800s, I'd take one over a brand new F800r for one very simple reason - Belt Drive!

Personally I hate maintaining a chain, and there are plenty of options out there for shaft and belt drives now that I try and avoid it where possible.

That said, for your 4000 miles a year commute chain maintenance is a bit of a non-issue. It'll be adjusted at most 2-3 times a year (maybe as little as once a year with a decent quality chain and sprockets).

Still, that's where my money would be going.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:25 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason I can see for getting a new bike is getting hold of something you can't buy second hand. E.g. I've been looking at the Kwak Vulcan S and there's so few of them about and so low mileage you may as well pay the extra £500 or so to have a new one.

I've have only one totally new vehicle in my life that I picked up with zero miles on the clock and yes, it is nice but that feeling fades pretty quick.

Experiences > Things

I can't decide which I enjoy more: rebuilding things or actually using the things I've personally fixed.

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:58 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
I totally agree with the advice not to buy new; however not so much about buying privately. Yes it'll be much cheaper than going via a dealer, but particularly if the OP doesn't have any experience (as it appears) he has a very much higher chance of getting royally stitched up with a private sale. At least going to a reputable dealer he'll have a bit of a comeback legally if he ends up buying a total dog.

That's true, there are risks to it however I'm not an experienced bike trader or mechanic, it just takes a bit of patience and knowing which red flags to look out for. There's a very good video made by Fortnine on the subject: https://youtu.be/VKGZdsIkLog

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:38 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont ride road you cant se... worry abut the bit you can.

You haven't got a licence yet & sum total off experience is a days CBT. Doing it for real, on regular basis is a long way off and only 'then' will learning really start... and what may actually be important of wanted utterly at odds with the half formed fantasies you have here ane now... eg IF you do DAS and that results in a licence, 6 weeks in, you might find that playing russiam roulette with the SMIDSY's in the wet and the dark of an autumn ruh hour, really iisn't much fun, and after bike has sat in shed unused all winter, next yeart, oooh, I dont know, underwater tiddly-winks or something may catch your interest and seem like the best spend of your leisure £.

Stop trying to plan your life away... go live this bit you can.

Worry about getting the licence.

Till then all accademic. After? Well one step at a time... ride this nit of road you can see, you dont know what's around the next corner, o stop fretting about the possibilities and kep your eyes open for pot holes pop up pedestrians and kids kicking footballs under your wheels!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:27 - 02 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do 50 miles a day, every work day for the last 4 1/2 years, when I get in I don't want to clean the bike, lube the chain or anything else that does not involve being at home and relaxed.

Did the first 3 1/2 years on a 900 diversion that was and still is mechanicly perfect but tatty and above all, cheap. Now on a 650 Bergman, not everyone's cup of tea, but comfortable.

The common denominator is no chain. Maybe consider that if you are doing 9 to 12k a year.

Best of luck!

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:00 - 03 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only had a handful of bikes and I've sold most of them for more than I paid. Zero depreciation is lovely.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 299 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2