Kawasaki GT 550 Tapping noise ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay2903 wrote:
I’ve just had it apart and it had new piston rings in cylinder 4, gaskets, head, and a few other bits.

Did you just have the top end off, or was something else dismantled too?

Is there a retained part, or something else left inside? It sounds sort-of right-hand-side-ish. What does your engine stethescope (long screwdriver, wooden spoon, WHY) reveal?

I'd be inclined to take it apart again whatever else you do.

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:34 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: gt550 Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
that does not sound good jay as if summut is thumping, can thumping felt on the head??

You replaced rings, was the piston removed from the rod and fitted backwards?? the crowns are clearly marked.

How far did you strip the engine down??

Some times a bad clutch basket and out of balance carbs can be noisy.

You know of the bench ball bearing method of basic carb balancing, that balancing on the BENCH! balancing the opening of the throttle butterflies so they all open at the same time and the same amount.

Also a float /fuel level check can be done on the bench prior to fitting the carbs to the engine.

Dont know what year your engine is but cam change droop and timing is important as well as cam chain adjuster fitting, you have the manual?

check in the manual for reassembly of cams and cam chain tensioning, due to the rubber half moon slipper in the cam cover, and the proper cam positioning, droop, number of links droop, then fitting the cam cover and finally the tensioner and unloading/tensioning it.

There is a thump/knock sound that is coming from the engine which is not good !

I’ve had another read through the manual and I’m fairly certain I’ve got everything together correctly, nothing backwards, tensioner fitted right etc. I don’t think the noise is coming from the exhaust or the clutch basket but i can’t pinpoint where it’s coming from. I intended on checking the float level on the bike like the manual suggests so I have something to hold the carbs up and level but then I got the carbs on, started it to make sure evething had gone together right and noticed the sound and now I’m here.
I didn’t see anything about a factory setting for the adjustment of the carb butterflies in the manual, they seemed to be functioning evenly so I stuck them on to see how it run and intended to take it from there.

The sound is a bit like a spoon tapping a dinner plate, I placed my hand on different places but I just can’t pinpoint it.
Where should I go from here ?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:43 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be wary of trying to diagnose too much from noises in the video. It does sound nasty in the video, but it's an aircooled bike, in a garage, with the sound caught by a phone. I don't know if it sounds like that in real life, or if the phone is amplifying the engine noises.

As a general rule of thumb for Jay, the engine should not be noisier than the exhaust.

The fact it is running means you haven't done something like put the cams in 180 degrees out, or have the camchain in totally the wrong place. It wouldn't be running it if was out by more than a tooth.

If it is clutch basket rattle, that normally goes away when the carbs are balanced.

So, yet again, rule out the basics first. Carbs all set the same, according the manual, and balanced. Carb balancing port covers all in place. Exhaust gaskets good. Valve clearance set properly.

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:08 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
I would be wary of trying to diagnose too much from noises in the video. It does sound nasty in the video, but it's an aircooled bike, in a garage, with the sound caught by a phone. I don't know if it sounds like that in real life, or if the phone is amplifying the engine noises.

As a general rule of thumb for Jay, the engine should not be noisier than the exhaust.

The fact it is running means you haven't done something like put the cams in 180 degrees out, or have the camchain in totally the wrong place. It wouldn't be running it if was out by more than a tooth.

If it is clutch basket rattle, that normally goes away when the carbs are balanced.

So, yet again, rule out the basics first. Carbs all set the same, according the manual, and balanced. Carb balancing port covers all in place. Exhaust gaskets good. Valve clearance set properly.

I’m gonna get some gaskets and a carb balancer next week and take it from there. Valve clearances are spot on. It’s definitely a loud noise.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: gt550 Reply with quote

to prevent hair loss, take the carbs off and check the rubber stubs and fitting faces.

Bench test float levels and fuel hieghts.

You will need a fuel tank of some sorts say 1 litre capacity and some clear tubing.

Make a bracket using the carbs bottom large screws that screw the cross bar to the carbs. This bracket will allow the carbs to be vice mounted ( via the bracket ) as a third hand keeping the carbs level etc.

Once plumbed in the carbs drain stubs can be used to "see" fuel level in each carb float bowl by arranging the clear pipes to stick up above the tops of the carbs, and with the drain screws slightly open, the level of fuel in each carb fl;aot bowl can be seen and compared with reference to each other and the carb float bowl to carb body gasket line, sound complex but its simple. There is a fuel level quoted in the manual that i will look up for you, for the 750 model.

bench throttle butterfly balancing. Using the bracket again, with the carbs angled back somewhat ( so the ball bearinsg used rests against the closed butterflyies ) .

Arrange so that each dash pot piston ( thats the piston attached to the rubber diaphragm ) is raised and place a ball bearing down each venturi so that the ball rests against the closed butterflies.

Open the bitterflies via the cable cam slowly and look/listen to the balls falling thru past the opening butterfly, did they all drop thru at the same time??

If not ( probably the case if the carbs where seperated/worn/fiddled with ) then adjust so that they do.

Look at the adjustment system. From memory the left air are balanced to each other, then the right pair to each other, then the pairs to each other. Look between the carbs and see the joining system and the adjusting screws and lock nuts.

Again this sounds complex but isnt, just time consuming and fiddly.

When done, refit carbs to engine, prime and start engine, smoother now??

For final fine tuning then use the vaccum gauges remembering you get what you pay for.

You could make your own manometers, aquarium bits and bobs are useful.

Bench test and set first else expect hair loss and remember fire risks.

I suspect the engine may have to come apart again. With plugs out and turning engine over by hand in the correct direction of rotation, any tight spots/clicks etc..????

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay2903 wrote:
It’s definitely a loud noise.

Is it replicated by driving the engine without it firing (e.g. plugs out/push it along)?

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:55 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: gt550 Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
to prevent hair loss, take the carbs off and check the rubber stubs and fitting faces.

Bench test float levels and fuel hieghts.

You will need a fuel tank of some sorts say 1 litre capacity and some clear tubing.

Make a bracket using the carbs bottom large screws that screw the cross bar to the carbs. This bracket will allow the carbs to be vice mounted ( via the bracket ) as a third hand keeping the carbs level etc.

Once plumbed in the carbs drain stubs can be used to "see" fuel level in each carb float bowl by arranging the clear pipes to stick up above the tops of the carbs, and with the drain screws slightly open, the level of fuel in each carb fl;aot bowl can be seen and compared with reference to each other and the carb float bowl to carb body gasket line, sound complex but its simple. There is a fuel level quoted in the manual that i will look up for you, for the 750 model.

bench throttle butterfly balancing. Using the bracket again, with the carbs angled back somewhat ( so the ball bearinsg used rests against the closed butterflyies ) .

Arrange so that each dash pot piston ( thats the piston attached to the rubber diaphragm ) is raised and place a ball bearing down each venturi so that the ball rests against the closed butterflies.

Open the bitterflies via the cable cam slowly and look/listen to the balls falling thru past the opening butterfly, did they all drop thru at the same time??

If not ( probably the case if the carbs where seperated/worn/fiddled with ) then adjust so that they do.

Look at the adjustment system. From memory the left air are balanced to each other, then the right pair to each other, then the pairs to each other. Look between the carbs and see the joining system and the adjusting screws and lock nuts.

Again this sounds complex but isnt, just time consuming and fiddly.

When done, refit carbs to engine, prime and start engine, smoother now??

For final fine tuning then use the vaccum gauges remembering you get what you pay for.

You could make your own manometers, aquarium bits and bobs are useful.

Bench test and set first else expect hair loss and remember fire risks.

I suspect the engine may have to come apart again. With plugs out and turning engine over by hand in the correct direction of rotation, any tight spots/clicks etc..????

Alrighty, cheers.
I’m gonna move on to that stuff next.
Nothing unusual, no noises when I turn it over with the plugs out using the starter or by hand.
I fitted the new exhaust gaskets, this made no difference

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:12 - 26 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I’ve set the carbs up on the bench...
I ran it for a couple minutes, it’s not firing on all cylinders Despite having fuel and spark all round.
Here’s that sound again nonetheless.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 28 Jun 2019    Post subject: gt550 Reply with quote

mmmmm 2 noises, the thumping tapping one and another that sounds as if it may be the starter motor trying to turn/energised???

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 28 Jun 2019    Post subject: gt550 Reply with quote

so carbs floats set and fuel levels compared and adjusted, fiddly yes but good practice for even running.

Carb butterflies set so all the balls drop thru past the butterflies at the same time, again fiddly but needed for good smooth running. The above should be done ON THE BENCH!!!

Fine tuning with vacuum gauges when carbs on bike and engine running, fine tuning. Again fiddly but if bench settings done that is a good starting point, saves much hair loss!!

I assume all the carb to head stubs are good with no cracking or air leaks etc., and the carb butterfly spindles are not toooooo worn, else air leaks there as well.

What did you set the valve working clearances to, mid point more or less between upper and lower limit?

Cam chain droop set and the the correct cam shaft in the exhaust position etc..

Does yours have a cable driven tacho or electronic?

You got some of those red neon plug caps you have been told off some time ago? they will come in real handy now........

cam chain tensioner is the cross wedge one? 2 wedges and spring type??

A timing strobe light is also a good bit of kit, how is ign timing?

You took the head off and barrel to do the piston rings ( if you didnt you are far more clever than i, or anyone else on here for that matter!! ) and you DID fit the cam chain tensioning blades correclty????
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2