Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Occasional clunk noise when letting out clutch in 1st gear?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

ggr
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:26 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Occasional clunk noise when letting out clutch in 1st gear? Reply with quote

Hey all,

What seems to be the clutch/gearbox on my XT600 recently started making the occasional clunk sound when I'm in first gear with the clutch lever pulled in and start letting it out. It isn't accompanied by any judderiness but the noise is a bit disconcerting.

Any ideas on what could be the cause of this? The bike had some stuff done to it a day before I started noticing it happening:

- changed the exhaust
- changed the clutch and brake levers
- had the rear wheel and tyre changed (double checked the chain slack and it looks to be within the specs in the manual)
- drilled out a stripped allen bolt holding the tacho cable in the tacho drive while it was still attached to the engine

Likeliest culprit seems to be either the rear wheel change or the bad vibrations from drilling out the allen bolt borking something up.

Here's a short video to illustrate:

https://sendvid.com/e64v507i

Thanks!

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:52 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the front gear chain sprocket secure?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:25 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the rear sprocket have a cush drive and or a sprocket carrier bearing.
I'm not going to bother googling your bike for you as I'm on a 2gb limit here and need the data for important shit. 🤣

ggr
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:22 - 26 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
Is the front gear chain sprocket secure?

It seems secure but I don't currently have a socket large enough to double check.

One of the little tabs on the locking washer isn't flush with the nut but it doesn't seem like it would cause an issue.

https://i.imgur.com/7rRIITr.jpg

MCN wrote:
Does the rear sprocket have a cush drive and or a sprocket carrier bearing.
I'm not going to bother googling your bike for you as I'm on a 2gb limit here and need the data for important shit. 🤣

It does have a crush drive and sprocket carrier bearings. I had a mechanic change the wheel and tyre and I'm hoping they would've checked for that sort of thing before fitting it.

Here's a video of me checking the play in the cush drive. Is this kind of play normal?

https://sendvid.com/4kvve0l3

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:29 - 26 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check chain adjustment and lubricate the gearshift linkage. It sounds like it's clicking fully into first under load, which means you're not quite getting it into gear. Not your fault if the linkage is full of dirt, or the chain is too tight or too loose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:45 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely sure the chain is tensioned correctly? Might be the angle but that image of the front sprocket makes it look like the chain is sagging (loose) far too much?
Obviously getting the correct tension can be a nightmare on dual sport or enduro machines and they seem to sag regardless but I dunno - looks loose.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:46 - 27 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the problem me thinks fella.
The chain is riding up over a slight step on the edge of the sprocket then correcting itself as the chain tries to tension, that’ll be the clonk you hear .You’ll find there is a small step on the flat face of sprocket ....remedy... new chain and sprocket kit.

ggr
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:34 - 28 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help!

It looks like it was the cush drive rubbers after all. I took it back to the mechanic that fitted the wheel and they confirmed that the cush drive rubbers are worn. Apparently the rear sprocket should only have 1-2 millimetres of play instead of the 7mm or so of play in the video. Would've assumed mechanics usually check for that sort of thing when fitting a new wheel. Also, I came across this example of a worn cush drive on a DL1000 and my bike has the same level of play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D03gRtDqZYs

I ordered some new cush drive rubbers so hopefully the problem will be resolved when they're fitted.

Is there a certain trick to adjusting the tightness of the chain on an XT? It has these notched adjustment plates on either side which aren't precise at all: one notch to the left and there's 25mm of slack at the tightest point, one notch to the right and there's 45mm, so it seems impossible to set it between 30-40mm as Yamaha recommends. 25mm was way too tight (bike struggled to shift into second), 45mm felt okay, and the first gear clunk happened regardless. Didn't have the clunk with the old wheel so the chain itself seems healthy.

Grubscrew wrote:
I can see the problem me thinks fella.
The chain is riding up over a slight step on the edge of the sprocket then correcting itself as the chain tries to tension, that’ll be the clonk you hear .You’ll find there is a small step on the flat face of sprocket ....remedy... new chain and sprocket kit.

Do you mean the step between the raised yellowy grey bit on the front sprocket and the grey teeth?

MarJay wrote:
Check chain adjustment and lubricate the gearshift linkage. It sounds like it's clicking fully into first under load, which means you're not quite getting it into gear. Not your fault if the linkage is full of dirt, or the chain is too tight or too loose.

Sprayed some PTFE lube on the gear linkage and it made no difference. Also changed the clutch cable for good measure and now the clutch pull is slightly heavier than it was. Probably just going to lube up the old cable and put it back on.

ggr
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:48 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp, I had the new cush drive rubbers put in and there's far less play in the rear sprocket, but the problem remains.

Any more ideas?

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my track bike the problem was the springs in the back of the clutch basket had compressed with age so it had about 1/2" of slop between the clutch outer and the driven gear. Some bikes have rubber blocks instead of springs (bit like the cush drive on the rear wheel), these can degrade over time as well giving the same symptoms.

Just bear in mind that the issue on my track bike got so bad it started missing gears and eventually threw me off......
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 292 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1