BCF: Bike Chat Forums

SV650 brakes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Liono
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:03 - 26 Mar 2005    Post subject: SV650 brakes Reply with quote

The back brake on my SV650 has been sticking a bit recently, so after investing in a can of brake cleaner I decided to pull it to bits and try and sort it out. When I started to remove the pads, the two metal pins which hold them in pace at the bottom had seized in place. This seems to be a fairly common thing on SVs, as I've read about it elsewhere. The pins slide through a hole in one side of the caliper and fit into a recess on the other side, which means you can't just push them back through. The options for gripping them with pliers are limited as there is little room to get any leverage. I remember reading something about it being possible to drill the other side of the caliper to allow you to push the pin out, but this is a very last resort for me. Any tips or tricks for getting these out? Would a stud extractor do the trick? If I split the caliper apart, do I have to drain the fluid to do this, as this would make it a bit easier to get to the pins.

Also, when I was cleaning around the caliper I noticed that a small (5mm) section of the rubber seal was poking out a bit. This doesn't seem to be affecting the brake, and there are no leaks, how easy would it be to put a new set of seals in? Is it a lot of hassle to drain fully and replace the fluid?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:44 - 26 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just done mine this week - Suzuki rear calipers are world-famous for the pins seizing Thumbs Down

You may as well take the caliper off and split it, if the dust seal is distorted it's time for a new set, or..........

just leave it out like I did and make sure you service the caliper every spring after it's had the winter ravages.

Just crack the two Allen bolts that hold the halves together while it's still on the bike and remove the caliper from it's bracket. Pump the pedal to push the pistons out as far as they will go. Then push 'em back in and pump 'em out again to free them off better. Then remove the hose. Split the caliper and grip the pin in the vice - a bit of WD40 and heat won't go amiss - and them twist the caliper half to free it from the pin.

Clean the pins with fine emery and clean the holes out. Clean the area where the pads sit as you get dust and crud build up in there. Clean the threads on the bolts and bleed nipples with a fine wire brush.

Remove the pistons - don't use grips or pliers or you'll damage them - and clean them up with an old toothbrush or your thumbnail. Carefully firtle the main seals out of their grooves (I use one of those 'watchmaker' type tiny screwdrivers - and it they're worn then replace them. Carefully clean the groove out where the seal sits. I wash the caliper halves in the sink with some jizer type stuff, then put them in the oven at around 150 deg for 10 minutes to dry them out completely. You may find that the heat will crystalise any remaining corrosion and you can carefully scrape it out.

Pop the seals back in, dip the pistons in brake fluid and push them fully home - make sure you get them in 'square'. Fit the little seal that goes between the caliper halves and them bolt the two halves together. Put a dab of Coppa-slip on the end of the pins and re-assemble the pads. Pop it back on the bike, bolt it up and then bleed.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 40 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1