Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Firewood.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 23 Jun 2019    Post subject: Firewood. Reply with quote

About 5 tons "mixed hardwood" £250 delivered in 2.2m lengths, 4" to 1' diameter (green). That means, for me, 6 cuts per length. Then splitting.

Good deal or not?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:24 - 23 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a fair price for the weight but not rip your arm off cheap. Depends on the quality of the wood though: is dried/seasoned?

<edit> green? then only so-so

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:40 - 23 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure you're not paying for someones waste?
I can buy dumpy bags (those big white ones) full of seasoned and cut/chopped logs for £50 each delivered up here.
You're going to need to cut and split and season for a year with those.
I'd also want to know what species of tree they are - some woods have a high calorific value (hawthorn for example) and could melt your fire grate. Other woods can be a sod to burn efficiently.

When going through my tree tickets we were always told: Do not buy a woodland full of trees to sell on. Instead, only buy if felled. It was because of the relatively low value of the wood but mostly because of the effort and time needed in felling and processing on the ground.

If you're seriously considering the purchase, why not think outside the box?
Place an ad wanting someones old tree offcuts if they've been doing garden work at home. You'll get them for free and the homeowners will be happy for removal. Sure you'd still need to season and process them but you'll save a heap of money doing so.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:47 - 23 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
You sure you're not paying for someones waste?
I can buy dumpy bags (those big white ones) full of seasoned and cut/chopped logs for £50 each delivered up here.

We've bought a couple of those one year when due to building work couldn't maintain a store of our own, it seemed reasonable value you didn't have to do anything apart from keep it covered and burned very well.
Some of them bulk up loads with crap like cut up building waste, woodwormy floorboards, mdf the lot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:31 - 23 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a builders' bag is said to be about 220Kg (give or take, depending); 5 tonnes of timber at 40% moisture reduced to 20% is 4 tonnes (being generous to dumpy bags) this is 16 bags, at 50 squiddicks a time that's £800 worth Up North.

Last year I bought £200 worth "3 cubic metres" say 4 1/2 dumpy bags of ash which when stacked was less than half a tiny 6x4 shed full. It was very good firewood though.

The issue for me is the time to cut it all up and split it (by hand).

I don't mind buying their "waste", which will be mostly oak, sycamore, birch, cherry, aspen, chestnut which would come like this:

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:32 - 23 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

I'd also want to know what species of tree they are - some woods have a high calorific value (hawthorn for example) and could melt your fire grate. Other woods can be a sod to burn efficiently.

What a conifer trunks?, i got a load to chop down in the back and was going to offer them out free as unseasoned logs to save the time, money and effort taking them to the tip

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:44 - 23 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
Sister Sledge wrote:

What a conifer trunks?, i got a load to chop down in the back and was going to offer them out free as unseasoned logs to save the time, money and effort taking them to the tip

Conifers aren't ideal in open fires they spark a lot and tend to burn very quickly, in stoves it's safer but not very good for the chimney due to tar being higher, you can still burn it ideally mixed with better wood.
Someone will take it for sure if you saw it into log lengths if possible put them in a builders bag or stack on a pallet with sides like tiles come in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 23 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:

I'd have them but for the distance.... someone will want them.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 23 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to struggle with heavier pieces when I did tree work (was self employed) but eventually found a private street where residents would happily take my heavier stuff off my hands. This was unprocessed rough thick stuff. I was happy and they were thrilled. I just didn't have the time to process, season and sell. Yes they got free firewood!
Used to be funny when I'd drop a load off. They'd all scurry out with saws and axes and set to work.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 25 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes more than just covering and keeping dry.
The moisture is inside the wood.
It will rot if not allowed to dry properly. The logs or sticks should be stacked to allow air to ventilate the stack. A bit of work in that and a lot of space required. That was the beauty of coal as a fuel. More energy in small package.
And what are you doing to control the particulate your pouring into the atmosphere? Do you have any though for the environment. ? 😂

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 28 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pine is rubbish in wood stoves - too much resin and can make a mess of your flue.

Cutting by hand - wow that’s a lot. Chainsaw will make it easier.

It’s not an appalling price but it’s not brilliant. You’ve also got to store that quantity somewhere but I’m guessing you’ve covered that off
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 275 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1