Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

UK to Italy on a Thruxton R

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

JohnD1963
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:13 - 01 Jul 2019    Post subject: UK to Italy on a Thruxton R Reply with quote

I was thinking of riding down to Bologna, Italy on a Triumph Thruxton R next month. Has anyone toured on a Thruxton? I know the bike isn't designed for long range touring but it has to be done.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 01 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfaired, thin seat, titchy 3 gallon tank.. why not?

Well it could be fine, but dump a a tank on mixed trip of 80% motorway and see how you feel after.

Is there an option?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

JohnD1963
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:26 - 01 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Well it could be fine, but dump a a tank on mixed trip of 80% motorway and see how you feel after.

Is there an option?

It has the cafe racer fairing kit. My only option is to have it transported down to Italy.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 02 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

my advice to you would be to load the bike up as if you were doing a tour.

As i see your near London, ride the bike to Birmingham then once at Birmingham then turn back and ride home.
This will give a realistic idea of how the tour might feel on your body and should show up any problems you have such as the seat being uncomfortable etc.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 03 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnD1963 wrote:
A100man wrote:

Is there an option?

It has the cafe racer fairing kit. My only option is to have it transported down to Italy.

Are you planning on coming back on it too? of course its do-able but long distance work will always be hard graft to do quickly unless you are on a big FJ or RT etc..

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 03 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always limited myself to 300 miles per day (if I had a choice) what ever bike I was riding simply because after that length of riding I got tired and it wasn't enjoyable.

300 miles is doable on any bike (I did it many times an an STR) although you might have to stop more often on some that others.

Admittedly it's rather easier and more relaxing on a Goldwing with the stereo on. Cool

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:22 - 03 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can tour on anything, Just do it and post plenty of pics Thumbs Up

JohnD1963
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:17 - 03 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="A100man"]
JohnD1963 wrote:
[quote
Are you planning on coming back on it too? of course its do-able but long distance work will always be hard graft to do quickly unless you are on a big FJ or RT etc..

No, it's a one way trip. I have a house there, so it will stay in Italy.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:08 - 05 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do it! Try to less than 300-350 miles per day if you can, why not slot an extra day into your plan and do a little looking around on your way? Germany, Switzerland, all could be visited. A day at the Nurburgring then a day or two taking the slow fun roads south.
If you choose to do this please post pictures...
Please note this was typed by a miserable bleeder who doesn’t mind - in fact would enjoy! - a few days on his own!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 05 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've toured on my Street Twin with a small flyscreen (to ease windblast on my chest a bit).

Like your bike, the tank is small but I suspect also like my bike, economy is good so it isn't all bad. When I toured with 50 litre panniers, mine still managed 75mpg and that was hooning around a bit (although to be fair, it wasn't motorways which would probably have seen a dip in economy). My biggest issues were leg angle (I'm not particularly tall or leggy, but I found it a bit cramped after 1.5 hours and needed to walk around a bit before resuming) and seat comfort (not sure what your seat is like, but the Twin's is quite firm on a long ride).

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:16 - 06 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: UK to Italy on a Thruxton R Reply with quote

JohnD1963 wrote:
I was thinking of riding down to Bologna, Italy on a Triumph Thruxton R next month. Has anyone toured on a Thruxton? I know the bike isn't designed for long range touring but it has to be done.

Just out of interest, what's the difference in cost between couriering it and riding it, assuming - say - one overnight stay if ridden?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:33 - 06 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: UK to Italy on a Thruxton R Reply with quote

JohnD1963 wrote:

Good luck.
I rode one for only a few miles last year and my body told me no.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:40 - 07 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try : flyandride.co.uk

Looks like a unanimous vote on DONT do it! Even on my ‘14 FJR all mod cons I get aches after 300 miles. Just seen what a Thruxton R looks like, nice looker, but long distance.........try a long run here as suggested.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where your start point is but from my house it's 1000 miles give or take. I'd probably want to split that in three legs and enjoy the experience. If it's only one way then you haven't go the agony of contemplating the journey home if you find the ride err 'challenging'.

I've seen Italian riders on less comfortable looking mounts get to the Isle of Man and back.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:23 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No different to touring Europe on a full blown sportsbike, I've seen it done plenty of times.

As per others, 300 miles is a good daily dose, any more starts to wear thin quickly.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfectly do-able.

I've done 850 miles two up in a day on a gsxr600, and I'm 6'1. Admittedly I was a little bit tired after that.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
Perfectly do-able.

I've done 850 miles two up in a day on a gsxr600, and I'm 6'1. Admittedly I was a little bit tired after that.

Ouch Shocked

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:59 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
garth wrote:
Perfectly do-able.

Ouch Shocked

Ouch indeed. My experience from driving spending too many hours behind the wheel is that fatigue has a lag time; you can arrive at your destination weary, but the fatigue continues to impact on you that evening and into the next day too. I'm sure the same effect applies to riding too (not tested the theory!) and if so (and assuming it's not just me that suffers from this) then it could negatively impact on the next day?

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:27 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive done 590miles from a friends house in south Germany back to the Uk in one day, its not that bad, until the next day Laughing

Having pillion pegs on though helps, you can superman stance while motorway cruising.

What is your luggage setup though? Thruxton looks quite hard to setup with soft luggage nicely without a rack/removing seat cowl. Ideally you dont want to wear a big back pack.

But the advice in this thread is good, I would stick to some 300 miles, however, if time is limited definitely blast out the motorway miles down to the Alps.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:14 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't suffer from aches and pains generally and have the opportunity to rest for a bit when you get to your destination, do it.

My bike is probably a lot more comfortable, but I do suffer from aches and pains generally, and I did just short of 1000 miles in one hit, about 20 hours, in 30C heat, after two weeks of touring in temperatures that were often higher than that. Slept for about 6 hours when I got home, and then got on with life.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

JohnD1963
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:56 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Tdibs"

What is your luggage setup though? Thruxton looks quite hard to setup with soft luggage nicely without a rack/removing seat cowl. Ideally you dont want to wear a big back pack.

B[/quote]

My luggage setup is a rucksack with a toothbrush, bar of soap, pair of waterproof pants and change of boxers. Don't need much.

JohnD1963
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:08 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've traveled this route from the UK to Italy many times by car and motorcycle. Mainly sports tourers and custom cruisers. I can probably handle the physical side, judging by the comments posted, however, the last couple of years, the novelty has worn off and it's the monotony of long journeys that gets me. I'm in the process of having it transported to Italy, the cost so far is not far off the cost of the journey. Plus it helps to keep the mileage down. Thanks guys for the input.

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:13 - 11 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you there yet Thumbs Up

JohnD1963
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:28 - 12 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

almostthere wrote:
Are you there yet Thumbs Up

Towards the end of the month it will be collected.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 260 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1