Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Government plans to end smoking by 2030

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:09 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Government plans to end smoking by 2030 Reply with quote

Government plans to end smoking by 2030 – report

Health Secretary Matt Hancock will announce the target next week, according to leaked documents.

https://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/government-plans-to-end-smoking-by-2030-report-11364375416765

Firstly let me say I don't smoke and haven't for 30 years although I did when I was younger, up to 60 Marlboro reds a day. (cigarettes were cheap on ship).

I absolutely hate this 'big brother' syndrome.

So they will tax ciggys to the hilt (not that they don't do it now) and basically price eveyone but the rich out of being able to afford them I presume. They won't just ban them, think of all that lovely lost revenue. Evil or Very Mad

So what will be next? The obvious one is booze.

I can see it now, we will ban booze and fags but lets make marijuana, heroin and coke legal so we can tax it. Rolling Eyes

What a fcuking shitty country we live in.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember prohibition? That is what will happen...
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, I'd be glad to see the back of cigarette smoking, and, vapes for that matter, but, I'd rather it be eliminated via education and societal changes, than by tax & regulation.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:40 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Government plans to end smoking by 2030 Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
So what will be next?

Motorcycles. Shocked

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:42 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Government plans to end smoking by 2030 Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
So what will be next?

Motorcycles. Shocked

Many a true word.............

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, if after visiting a doctor or other healthcare professional, they tell you stop smoking/drinking/drug binging etc, and you carry on doing so, then any treatment of subsequent illness's related to what you've been told to stop doing, you should pay for yourself.

I'm speaking from personal experience here, brother in law, has buerger's disease, doctors told him to stop smoking, or he'd lose a leg. Carried on smoking, had to have 1 leg amputated below the knee, carried on smoking, had to have the second leg amputated below the knee, carried on smoking, had to have a further amputation of 1 of the legs from just above the knee !!. To make matters worse, this is all whilst living on benefits. Oh, and he's still smoking now. Why should we be paying for him, when if he had done as the doctor said, and stopped smoking, he wouldn't have needed the ops or mobility car allowance etc?

As a result, he has had his council house, extensively modified, with a downstairs bedroom and wet room installed. He's also gets a mobility car allowance. Yet, another brother in law, has a debilitating back condition, and is on oramorph constantly, can't even get a ramp installed, because he's worked, legitimately paying taxes etc, and doesn't live in a council house, and his illness is not self inflicted.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:56 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Personally, if after visiting a doctor or other healthcare professional, they tell you stop smoking/drinking/drug binging/riding motorcycles etc, and you carry on doing so, then any treatment of subsequent illness's related to what you've been told to stop doing, you should pay for yourself.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:04 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Personally, if after visiting a doctor or other healthcare professional, they tell you stop smoking/drinking/drug binging etc, and you carry on doing so, then any treatment of subsequent illness's related to what you've been told to stop doing, you should pay for yourself.

So basically you advocate an NHS where people who do not take responsibility for their own health get charged. OK, good point however then we have other issues brought into play. As Ste says, ride a bike, more dangerous, stop or pay for your own medical treatment. Extends to doing anything that is liable to be considered more dangerous than sitting in a chair.

What about people that have smoked all their lives and not been to a doctor, that's ok then? They can have treatment even though everyone and the ships cat knows smoking is dangerous?

Every doctor I know asks if you smoke, and if you say yes, tells you to stop.

My doctor always asks how much I drink and when I tell him, he tells me I should stop. (I'm sure every other doctor is the same). So does that mean I should be witheld treatment on the NHS even though my contributions over the years have been huge in comparison to probably 50% of the population.

Your idea is as ridiculous as some of MPD's rants. The NHS would be paying more in lawsuits that in medical care.

The only way your system would work is personal liability for you own medical care, ie. insurance. If you are a high risk, you pay more.

Welcome to the good old USofA. Thumbs Down

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It's the thin end of the wedge, innit! bleedin' benefit scroungers, no help to themselves let alone the rest of society! Lock 'em up, lock 'em up and bring back National Service, that's what I think..."

Well yes, but that's the point: you can't base a system like the NHS and DWP on "thin end of the wedge" cases otherwise everyone would need a personal assessment and how well did that go with just the relatively limited numbers of disability assessments?

It needs to be as fair to as many people as possible whilst minimising the fraud and scrounging but it's never gonna be perfect!

Reminds me of my wife's ex-husband's mother (step-ex-mother-in-law?) got emphysema, told to give up smoking, didn't and now spends her days travelling about with an oxygen tank.

I've worked from 14 to 47 with about 3 weeks on the dole in that time. Never bothered the NHS, never broken a bone*, never even had antibiotics in my entire life where's my fucking rebate?!

*I admit I did go to the Uni medical centre once with a twisted angle, falling down some stairs after a 3 day drinking binge

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:22 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

I smoke, I know it's damaging my health, yet I can't seem to stop. Perhaps if I thought my life was worth more.
I've done various drugs, especially a lot of weed. I wish I had the connections and the money to still get it.
I'm now at a point where I would like to experiment with psychedelics (I've only done a couple of acid hits when I was younger, and I don't remember anything particularly amazing).

I've smashed myself up crashing motorcycles, and had a lot of care in the aftermath from the NHS and military medical facilities.
With my injuries, I now find it hard to know even what kind of work to look for.

I used to drink a lot when I was younger, but now don't drink at all.

Now, I'm not even registered with a GP, haven't been to see one in at least 3 years, maybe 4.

What are YOU going to do about ME? Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

So basically you advocate an NHS where people who do not take responsibility for their own health get charged. OK, good point however then we have other issues brought into play. As Ste says, ride a bike, more dangerous, stop or pay for your own medical treatment. Extends to doing anything that is liable to be considered more dangerous than sitting in a chair.

What about people that have smoked all their lives and not been to a doctor, that's ok then? They can have treatment even though everyone and the ships cat knows smoking is dangerous?

No, that's not what I said ..

Polarbear wrote:

Every doctor I know asks if you smoke, and if you say yes, tells you to stop.

Again, that is not what I said What I said was.

You have an illness, the doctor tells you that it is directly related to you smoking, (see the example of my brother in law above), you continue to smoke, and what the doctor says will happen, happens. You are then knowingly wasting NHS time, bed space and money. Even though you have been told exactly what will happen, you go ahead and do it. I'm afraid, at that point, you should either pay for your treatment, or, if you can't, then at best you are given medication that may make you a little more comfortable, but nothing more.

There aren't the resources in the NHS to be wasted on people who willingly and knowingly make themselves a burden on the NHS, and, other social services. Likewise, I don't agree that my brother in law should be in receipt of a motability car, doesn't deserve it as far as i'm concerned.

Likewise, a drinker, needs a new liver, give them a liver transplant first, however, should they continue drinking, the nhs should then wash their hands of them.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:11 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There aren't the resources in the NHS to be wasted on people who willingly and knowingly make themselves a burden on the NHS, and, other social services."

So everyone has to get health insurance and the majority of things would be done privately rather than on the NHS?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
"There aren't the resources in the NHS to be wasted on people who willingly and knowingly make themselves a burden on the NHS, and, other social services."

So everyone has to get health insurance and the majority of things would be done privately rather than on the NHS?

Not everyone, no, but if you willingly continue doing something that exacerbates an illness you have been diagnosed with, after being told what to do the at least reduce the effects of the illness, then, as far as i'm concerned, you should be on your own..

You get told you have type 2 diabetes, because you are obese, you are given instructions on what to do to mitigate the effects, however, you, decide sod it, and continue shoving high fat food and drink down your neck, then tuff, if you're not prepared to make the effort, neither should the state on your behalf, if, on the other hand, you do make the effort, then the NHS etc, should also make the effort and provide you with whatever support you need. Obviously there will be certain exceptions, such as if you have learning difficulties etc, then that's different and as such provides mitigating circumstances, and hence, you should be supported by the nhs.

As to whether you have insurance or not, well, that's a personal choice.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:04 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
You get told you have type 2 diabetes, because you are obese, you are given instructions on what to do to mitigate the effects, however, you, decide sod it, and continue shoving high fat food and drink down your neck, then tuff, if you're not prepared to make the effort, neither should the state on your behalf,

This is my Nan to a T. She found out she was diabetic in her retirement years, had all the time in the world to alter
her lifestyle, specifically what she was cooking/eating. Decided she couldn't be arsed with all that and within 2 years
died in bed one morning shortly after waking up. I couldn't cry at her funeral even though I loved my Nan and was by a
mile her favourite grandchild while she was still alive, a part of me still thinks her death was self inflicted and that she
didn't think enough of the rest of us all to change things for the better. My poor old Grandad lived nearly another 20 years
but at least half of those 20 he might have not had to endure by himself. Plus, he never was the same after she went.
No joy left in him after she gave up and karked it. All those people trying to help her and she just stuck 2 fingers up.

This NHS as it is now can't survive, it's unsustainable. Too many bums for seats plus it's run wastefully and abused
by a great many of its "frequent flyers" particularly those keeping their sick note topped up so they can refrain from working.
Only thing that can prop it up now is private money. How exactly that will manifest itself remains to be seen but it certainly
can't carry on like it is now. It would certainly make the timewasters think twice before they clog up the waiting rooms
if there was a chance of a bill at the end. And just to play devils advocate fora mo. What about those that have private care
anyway, (I pay for dental and medical) wheres my rebate? I'm not having kids so they won't need/use it either.
Why am I subsidising all these pensioners, layabouts and children to get free healthcare when I pay for my own??
Where's the opt out??? I'd surrender my NI number tomorrow. Very one sided system IMO. The more productive
an individual is, it seems the less they can expect the NHS to take an interest in their wellbeing. Anybody who
works and has tried to see their GP and is given an appointment in three weeks time knows what I mean. Any right
minded society would keep the ones paying for it all at the front of the treatment queue, but we do things differently here.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as a wonderful balance to grr's story, maternal grandparents changed their diets and lifestyle after being diagnosed with cancer and diabetes respectively, karked it anyway. Paternal grandmother didn't change diet ish after being diagnosed diabetic, outlived the pair of them by several years.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:56 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

But...
Say someone was abused as a child. Nothing was done back then (think grand parents here) and despite that, even if they'd spoken out in later years the abuse damage is too deep rooted to fix. They smoke/eat as a form of comfort to help hide those haunting memories that never leave them. Medical folk tell them to stop but they can't.
Do they continue till dead through their comforts or stop and have terrible haunting memories and jump from a bridge instead?

I do fear that British politics currently being steered by inexperienced selfish twats who've never experienced real life is an incredibly bad thing but hey!
Britain will soon become Logans Run. Unfit? Better run (or drive that Motability car) or they'll get you.

Tobacco? Grow your own. It's easily done in the UK.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:04 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
But...
Say someone was abused as a child. Nothing was done back then (think grand parents here) and despite that, even if they'd spoken out in later years the abuse damage is too deep rooted to fix. They smoke/eat as a form of comfort to help hide those haunting memories that never leave them. Medical folk tell them to stop but they can't.
Do they continue till dead through their comforts or stop and have terrible haunting memories and jump from a bridge instead?

As I said, there should be some mitigating circumstances, diagnosed mental health issues being the main mitigation circumstance. However, I think alot of this 'comfort' eating is just an excuse for lack of willpower.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sticking up for them but does everyone possess willpower? Would willpower be the determining factor for getting medical help for something?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:26 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is absolutely no way it would ever happen.

Someone gets told by their doctor to stop smoking. Doesn't. Doctor says I'm signing you off the NHS because you didn't stop, go die in the gutter.

Because that is basically what you are saying.

Who gets the God powers of deciding who is worthy of NHS treatment or who isn't.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
There is absolutely no way it would ever happen.

Someone gets told by their doctor to stop smoking. Doesn't. Doctor says I'm signing you off the NHS because you didn't stop, go die in the gutter.

Because that is basically what you are saying.

Who gets the God powers of deciding who is worthy of NHS treatment or who isn't.

You do it to yourself, if you make the choice after being told by a doctort that if you don't stop smoking, something specific, such as limb amputation, and you goahead and continue to smoke, who's fault is it, and, why should the nhs/state make the effort, if you are not prepared to. It's very simple really.

To some degree it is happening now, doctors not sanctioning operations until a certain amount of weight has been lost etc. Neighbour had breast cancer, quite aggressive, is a smoker, she also has real problems with her stomach and is in pain. Anyhow, looks like they sorted the cancer out, consultant was happy and jolly, said let's sort out your stomach issues. Asked if she's still smoking, she said yes, and, apparently his whole demeanor changed. He told her she had been given a second chance, that many don't get, and to go away and think what she wants to do with that second chance, oh, and if you are still having stomach pains, contact your gp. He had no interest in treating her further. I say, fair play to him. We need more consultants/medical professionals in the nhs like that.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:30 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would he have still been happy and jolly if she was a private patient paying him direct?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Would he have still been happy and jolly if she was a private patient paying him direct?

Possibly, she wouldn't have been wasting NHS resources

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy to say from the comfort of your home, when you aren't addicted to anything. What if you had to tell people face to face, "no mate, fuck off" ? Nah, I'll just delegate someone else I don't know to make the rule.

Better to have enforced addiction therapy. That's added cost, but if it helps people to become useful members of society again, it'd probably pay off in the long run.

If they refuse to cooperate then though, shoot the buggers Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 263 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3