Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Metal 3D Printing

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:49 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Metal 3D Printing Reply with quote

I had an advert at the top of the page for metal 3D printing. Shocked

https://markforged.com/metal-x/?mfa=ga-search&adg=55502082228&kw=markforged&device=c&gclid=CjwKCAjwmZbpBRAGEiwADrmVXg88Zqp5AmM6lwxAPou1iR_GwioziUt7c0YeYWGUTxvNkFi3zQUuRxoCPO0QAvD_BwE

3D metal printing. Wow and from what it says they can get the hardness and everything right.

For someone who was brought up on casting, forging, machining and heat treatment this does my head in.

Has anyone come across this and is it as viable/good as they say?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's a viable technology and it can produce outstanding results. There are two technologies:

FDM (Fused Deposition Manufacturing) which is insanely expensive, works in much the same way as plastic 3D printers only at much higher temperatures and is the top end professional process.

SLS (Selective Laser Sintering) or SLM (Selective Laser Melting) which is a bit more affordable and as the name suggests, uses high power lasers to fuse metal powders.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supervet has a lot of his custom implants for animals done with metal 3d printing

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:48 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sample prices seem ridiculously low. The $14 camshaft sprocket for example. That must be a 1000-piece price or something because you'll use $14 worth of leccy in the sintering oven alone. I know they can print a load of different parts and cook them all together but still it does seem unfeasibly low considering the outlay and running costs of the plant.

Leaps and bounds though Thumbs Up

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 11 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My strategy is to borrow a 3D printer, and use it to print my very own 3D printer Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 262 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1