Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mod 2 Lifesavers procedure

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

lazy12
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:16 - 03 Jul 2019    Post subject: Mod 2 Lifesavers procedure Reply with quote

Need some solid and up to date advice on the lifesaver procedure before my mod 2 so I know what to practice and make habit of before then.

Currently I’m doing as follows,

Turning left - mirrors - left lifesaver - position 1 - right lifesaver - turn
Turning right - mirrors - right lifesaver - position 3 - left lifesaver - turn
T junctions turning right - mirrors - right lifesaver - position 3 - looking left & right - right lifesaver - turn

Am I doing it correctly? Or what’s the current procedure?

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 03 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to think there's a magic formula to pass the test that we're supposed to tell you when in reality the test is there to asses your ability to ride safely. If you've got issues, or confusion, about what checks your supposed to be doing when I'd either bring them up with your instructor or pay someone who can teach you properly.

Can understand checking your mirrors before slowing down to see what's behind you and how close they are; can understand the lifesaver and position change -- since that's what I was taught; can't understand why you'd then be taking your eyes off the corner to check over your shoulder. Sure you'd be checking if anything's cutting you up but you'll be unbalancing the bike half the time and not focusing on where your going.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 08:18 - 04 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Could be completely wrong here so you should have this chat with your instructor.

There seems to be too many lifesavers for me. Why would you do a right LS for a left turn? If someone is going to turn in on you then they will be approaching from in front. The danger is on your left,

similarly for a right turn, if something comes down your left side it's not a danger (unless they turn right).

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 04 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically you 'lifesaver' in the direction you're planning to go, it should be instinctive/common sense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:09 - 04 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Basically you 'lifesaver' in the direction you're planning to go, it should be instinctive/common sense.

I think that was what I was trying to say. I don't recall the OP saying how soon his MOD2 was but I am assuming quite soon. If so then he should be pretty up to speed on those aspects and just concentrating on fine tuning etc. If he is not yet comfortable then he needs to discuss with his instructor.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:59 - 04 Jul 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

too many steps, if you overthink things and don't look confident and wobbly you won't pass, i would do this:

turning left
indicator
check mirror
lifesaver left
move to position
turn left

turning right
indicator
check mirror
lifesaver right
move to position
turn right

CANCEL INDICATORS!

this should be a smooth process and should feel normal you dont even think about it, i find myself doing "lifesavers" simply walking down the road or on my work sites just as it is normal to me to check where im going

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:04 - 11 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wag your head from side to side constantly. Thats all the examiner is seeing anyway so do that and spam the indicator off all the time and you'll be fine.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:40 - 11 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't confuse a 'Rear Observation' and a 'life-saver'

These days dumbing down to lowest common, of the car driver, rear-obs maybe made in the mirrors, but.. hamming it to make it obvious to following examiner, (who also has to do his own obs whilst watching you) over the shoulder observations are still good form.

Parsing out confusion between rear obs and life-savers:
- rear-obs BEFORE
- Life-Saver DURING

Ie: you do rear obs before you commit to any maneuver, like turning left or right, to plan that maneuver. IF safe.. which depends what you saw on rear obs...

you undertake maneuver... where and when you MAY do a life-saver depends on what you re doing and what is going on.. and you may do more than one.. as you may do more than one rear obs..

EG turning right from major to minor; you would do shoulder check before moving to right of center of lane..... you may then stop before completing the turn, in which case, its effectively 2 maneuvers and you would want to do another rear obs before pulling away and completing.... NOT a life-saver... which you would do as confidence check, DURING the turn, and could be left or and right depending where the hazards were most likely,,,,, you would do a right hand life saver on right hand turn in case of over taking cars or some-one trying to turn inside you,BUT a left hand saver may be prudent depending on road layout if a hazard could be that side, eg at two way intersection.

BUT only if check not intrusive to the rest of the job.. its 'only' a confidence check for changes to situation, its NOT the rear obs,that should have told you what's going on

IE there's no magic formula!! There is no prescription, you need to use oh dear.. 'common sense' and 'good judgement' which is what the testis looking for...... if there was a procedure to follow, then there#'d be little to 'test' wouldn't there?

So, remember Observations BEFORE, Confidence Checks DURING and apply JUDGEMENT
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:10 - 12 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Wise words Thumbs Up

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:19 - 12 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:

Wise words Thumbs Up

You'll learn.

Romance01
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:44 - 13 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:
So, remember Observations BEFORE, transfers reims Confidence Checks DURING and apply JUDGEMENT

Wise words Thumbs Up

you're right
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 261 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1