Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Airpods and lids

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:10 - 06 Jul 2019    Post subject: Airpods and lids Reply with quote

Considering a new phone as the current one is on the way out

Has anyone used those wireless airpod earphones under a lid? Any experiences in how good they are at shutting out road noise, comfort in the helmet etc

I understand the new iphone doesnt have a headphone socket so thats my 7.99 betron in ear phones, which are excellent for the job, out of play
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 06 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a Lightning-to-3.5mm adaptor, meaning your earphones are back in play. I doubt the regular EarPods do anything for noise isolation bar a small impedance effect.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:36 - 06 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure you get one of those adaptors in the box with an iPhone.

Smok3y666
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:27 - 07 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered some wireless Bluetooth earbuds from the forest to try under my lid. I thought i'd give it a shot before ordering a Sena or Cardo seeing as I mainly ride on my own. Main use is going to be for background music and GPS navigation. They are arriving today but i'm probably not riding today unless I change my mind after dinner but I'll report back if you want let you know what they're like? Don't think it will be until next Sunday though.

Okay well they arrived from the forest, they sound awesome in the ear and I got my helmet on okay and they stayed put. Getting my helmet back off was another matter entirely. As I started to lift the lid off my head it also started to remove the earbuds at the same time so for me it's a no go.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:45 - 07 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm. Didnt realise the adaptors were fairly cheap. Theres a few non official versions that are a bit more chunky but seem to facilitate charging as well - has anyone had experiance? Happy, these betrons have been by far the simplest and cheapest solution to gps etc ive found yet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:11 - 07 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy a v6 bluetooth intercom for £30, why bother with earphones?

Orennayar
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:23 - 07 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use cheapo amazon bluetooth earbuds everyday to listen to podcasts on my commute, they're quite bulky so you have to fiddle a bit to find a comfortable position in your ear with the helmet on but besides that they're perfect Thumbs Up

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:50 - 07 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
You can buy a v6 bluetooth intercom for £30, why bother with earphones?

I found the designs with sticky pad speakers in the lid were ok in urban environments, but when i need the tunes most generally im on a motorway, and find that wind noise etc picks up significantly north of 90ish, have to turn the volume up and still cant hear properly. Found in ear buds on amazon that fit well and block oit the road / wind noise, found i can hear clearly at 50 per cent volume which i figured is best for my hearing

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 09:03 - 13 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TaffyTDM wrote:
I found the designs with sticky pad speakers in the lid were ok in urban environments, but when i need the tunes most generally im on a motorway, and find that wind noise etc picks up significantly north of 90ish, have to turn the volume up and still cant hear properly. Found in ear buds on amazon that fit well and block oit the road / wind noise, found i can hear clearly at 50 per cent volume which i figured is best for my hearing

You need to buy a decent helmet that actually fits.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:43 - 13 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a cheap Bluetooth kit for my helmet for £16 from eBay, it's just phone and music but works well and sounds good. The mic is a bit annoying but I think that's either the shape of my helmet or I've mounted it wrong, works fine though.

Bluetooth earphones are normally a bit bulkier than wired ones none of mine fit inside my helmet

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:23 - 13 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

For recreational riding I got by fine with a Cardo Packtalk and Sennheiser CX3.00, they cut a fair bit of noise, but as I've moved to commuting 40miles each way mostly motorway, I've switched to Shure, I have bought some SE 425, (I'm in the audio business, independent, I don't work for Shure, so get a good price) and the noise isolation is vastly superior, Shure claim 37db reduction, all their models from SE215 and above are basically the same shell and tips, not cheap any of them, but how much do you value your hearing?

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:31 - 13 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some some SE215s too, I didn't want to use them because I thought they'd block out too much external sound, but I don't ride on the motorway, still on my CBT.

Might give them a go then. It's a bit noisy at high speed.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 289 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1