Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

125 tourer/commuter

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 15 Jul 2019    Post subject: 125 tourer/commuter Reply with quote

Does such a thing exist?

My 19yo daughter (20 in January) lost her licence for getting 9 points (for one offence, daft cow!) within the first two years of having her licence. She needs transport to get to and from work. From what I understand she can re-take her test again straight away as it was simply revoked, not banned, however with her track record car insurance is likely to be unaffordable for her for the next couple of years so we've suggested that once her new provisional licence comes through she does CBT and gets a 125 just to get her mobile and independent for the next couple of years while she waits for insurance to become affordable again.

She'll have a few brush-up lessons and re-take her car test ASAP just to get it out of the way even if she's only riding a 125 on L plates for the next couple of years anyway as I would hope that she'll be less likely to get her licence revoked again on a 125 over the next couple of years, and in two years time when hopefully insurance is affordable for her again she'll have passed the two year probation period on her licence (hopefully without any further points) so will have a clean sheet and able to accumulate 11 points if she so desires without fear of having it revoked again.

She may or may not decide to take her bike test so she can ride on the motorway and carry a pillion but she can decide that at a later date after she's done CBT and see how she feels on a bike.

She'll potentially be working at racing stables all over the county so her commutes will usually involve high-speed dual carriageways and motorways if she decides to take the test, it could potentially be in excess of an hour each way.

She'll be travelling all year round so needs a capable 125 of holding it's own on dual-carriageways and motorways as well as having plenty of wind and rain protection and being comfortable to ride over a long period of time.

Initially I thought the best dual carriageway / motorway 125 for her needs would be the BMW C1. I daren't repeat what she said when I showed her a picture of one! Next I was thinking of something along the lines of a Honda PCX125 twist-and-go however she's dead set on getting a geared bike :-/

I can't find many big 125s that meet our criteria in terms of having a large road presence, being able to keep up the pace and giving plenty of wind and rain protection as well as being comfortable on a long run.

I'm not sure if such a thing exists but something similar to a mid-weight tourer like the NT650V but with a 125 engine would be ideal.

So far the closest thing I can find is a XL125V Varadero.

Are there any other bikes that I should be considering that I may have overlooked or have I already found the holy grail in the Varadero?

All comments. suggestions and recommendations greatly appreciated x

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:50 - 15 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How tall is she? A Varadero has a pretty high seat height for a 125.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:54 - 15 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused as what this has to do with "Workshop"..

Unless OP is looking at how to fix the daughter, but pic's will be needed on that 1st Laughing

Any bike can be a tourer/commuter. Have done it on a DT 125 before. Bikes are never going to have great weather protection.

Also don't think that because it's a 125 it will stop her getting further points... That is purely down to her.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 15 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TbirdX wrote:
How tall is she? A Varadero has a pretty high seat height for a 125.

That's a good point, she's only 5'1". You think that's going to be too big for her?

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 15 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Confused as what this has to do with "Workshop"..

Unless OP is looking at how to fix the daughter, but pic's will be needed on that 1st Laughing

Any bike can be a tourer/commuter. Have done it on a DT 125 before. Bikes are never going to have great weather protection.

Also don't think that because it's a 125 it will stop her getting further points... That is purely down to her.

Oops sorry wrong section, my bad!

I take what you're saying about ANY bike being capable of the commute and whatever she rides there'll be a certain amount of wind and rain, but we're trying to select the best bike for the job so that the misery in the winter is minimised as much as possible. If I took that advice at face value I might as well stick her on my 50cc Di Blasi right?

But yeah as you rightly say ultimately it's up to her how she rides and uses the roads in respect to not making the same mistake again and losing her licence again. I do maintain though she's almost certainly LESS LIKELY to lose it on a 125 than in a car. I wasn't implying she'd be immune from the law on a 125. Will she learn from her mistake? She hasn't got a good track record of learning from her mistakes so the chances are slim LOL but as you rightly said that's down to her. I can help her as much as possible but ultimately it's in her hands. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:52 - 15 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucy S wrote:
as you rightly say ultimately it's up to her

You need a big doe of NMP I think.. she'd old nough to get a lience and loose it, she old enough to sort herself out without your help... you will be wrong whatever you do anyway, as mention of scoots suggests...
Meanwile, 125's is 125's and gobsones, theres no good choices just less daaft ones... meanwhile, IME motorbikes and stables don't mix well.... but that another yarn... and STIL N<P lety her sorty it out, you do NOT to do it for her... I mean will you be there on her wedding night pivkung the flavoyur of condom for her? At some point she has to do stuff for herseld... and making it 'easy' gettig her on a bike, coc she effed up cars AINT going to help her learn to do for herself and not eff upp... just that 'some-one' namely YOU will always be there to make life easy no matter how bad she effs up...
I dount you'll heed this advice, but hey.... its there, take ut or leave it.....
AS for the bike.. hoe much ,pmey she got, how far she prepared to go to get one?
All in, it may be as expensive to bite the bullet and get a cheap car or do DAS, but it STILL NMP... poinrt her at the web-sites, show her how to use a spread sheet and sort herself out....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:08 - 15 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBF125. They're a good size but a fairly low seat height, common, and cheap.

Common means lots of cheap pattern and secondhand parts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 15 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, she could buy my Superlight! It's even lower than the CBF125 and I would say probably the only thing someone 5'1" could get away with Smile However, zero weather protection (you could fit an aftermarket screen I suppose) and will only cruise at 50 on the dual carriageways.

Easy of use, comfort on a long ride, good weather protection, petite... sorry, all that says scooter Sad

Beggars can't be choosers!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:41 - 15 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help but think even insurance on a 125 is going to be crippling for a 20yo with 9 points already. Plus, one has to think if she doesn't have the nouse to avoid what I assume is 3 speeding tickets, does she really have the nouse to ride a motorcycle on the road safely?

If I were you, I'd be telling her to buy a bus pass, but I'm not her parent.

Unfortunately:

Quote:
a capable 125 of holding it's own on dual-carriageways and motorways as well as having plenty of wind and rain protection and being comfortable to ride over a long period of time.

Fantasy land really, what you've described there is a car, or a large capacity tourer perhaps. No 125 has good road presence. No 125 will really cruise happily (Some will do it, but I'd argue the happily part) at 70mph plus (unless it needs expensive rebuilds every 10k miles and is likely running illegal levels of power). Not many 125's have a protective full fairing. Those that do have a small full fairing will not be comfortable.

It's also worth noting she will not be able to use motorways unless she does her full license. If she really has got to go all over the country with race horses, she's going to take a lot of time doing that.

Honestly I can't really see any other option than bus pass or train season ticket time. Or she can buy a scoot and put up with being cold and wet like the rest of us did when we had a bike as our only transport, and take far longer to get to her destination than she otherwise might.

To be honest, if she was my daughter I'd be telling her to sort out her own mess. She's going to need to learn soon enough, and she doesn't really have the luxury of choosing a bike for looks now she's f*ed up one too many times.

Sometimes if we screw up, we have to sacrifice our dream job at least until we've paid our dues. It might be harsh punishment perhaps, but I'd honestly be that concerned about her safety on the road if she isn't observant enough to spot a policeman or a camera. 3 times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:36 - 16 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I can't help but think even insurance on a 125 is going to be crippling for a 20yo with 9 points already. Plus, one has to think if she doesn't have the nouse to avoid what I assume is 3 speeding tickets, does she really have the nouse to ride a motorcycle on the road safely?

9 points, one offence apparently. Place your bets, I'll put a quid on Drink Driving.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:18 - 16 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha MT125 is a decent physical size and is one of the faster 125s out there but there's the problem of handing
over dat 4k for a 125....

Shocked 4k

for a 125...

Thinking

Folded arms

Here's someone with empty pockets riding one to give you an idea of size. Varadero might be too tall for her*.

(*avoids legover joke beautifully)

https://mcn-images.bauersecure.com/upload/304568/images/03-mt125.jpg

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:39 - 16 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried getting a quote for a 125 motorcycle? Folk often think bikes are the cheaper option but alas once you sit down and work it all out it ends up expensive.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 16 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the MT125 is pretty high, so not ideal for someone who's 5'1"

Echoing what MarJay said, I expect even a 125 with 9 points is going to be rather expensive, and long/comfortable journies at speed on a 125?

I think public transport may be the way forward, and consider it lesson learned

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:22 - 16 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still costs me about half what it costs to insure my MT09 full comp to insure my 125 scoot tpft despite full licence,
years of ncb, not my main bike etc plus obviously I haven't had a ban. Personally I'd bet it was a swab test, a mate
of mine just got swabbed positive for cocaine he consumed 3 days previously. Awaiting lab results as we speak
to determine quantity in his system. Rather him than me. He's shitting it a bit.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:28 - 16 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

9 points, one offence apparently. Place your bets, I'll put a quid on Drink Driving.

Or uninsured? Either way the insurance company will either say "£10k please!" or "Hahahahaha!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:40 - 16 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drink driving would have been a ban rather than just 9 points which then caused her licensed to be revoked.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:46 - 16 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Varadero 125, I had two, and for a 5’1” it will be too tall, but they certainly look like a larger bike.
As suggested by another chap, a cb125, at least it’ll be a good size match for her, plus resale value will be better than a Chinese/ Taiwanese unit.

Put us all out of our misery and tell us the misdemeanour.....please.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:53 - 16 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
CBF125. They're a good size but a fairly low seat height, common, and cheap.

Common means lots of cheap pattern and secondhand parts.

CBF125 might still be a bit tall for a girl of 5'1"... Depends on her leg length. I think the CBF125 is 31.2 inches or 792mm. She could try sitting on one and see if it suits. The cg125 is certainly lower, but they are not so common as they used to be and certainly less of them now than the CBF125.

Maybe she could try to see what the car insurance costs are. She probably ain't going to enjoy riding along fast dual carriageways in winter from her stable jobs. Most bikers who ride day in day out and at night in winter just love biking - either that or they have no other choice.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:24 - 16 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it some more, being that short does open up the possibility of some of cool looking semi-Chinese stuff like Mutt and Brixton bikes. Some of them are very small, like a 3/4 size model of a bike. Also look good and fairly cheap new.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:48 - 18 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually my quid goes on driving without due care... Driving without insurance is 6-8 points.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 19 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I had do double check when I read all the replies that I hadn't inadvertently posted on Mumsnet. Generally speaking I go there for parenting advice and here for biking advice but it seems the world has been tipped upside down.

While I accept what some of you are saying that it's her fault she should sort it out, and I do agree with this to a certain extent, the fact is if she's not able to get to and from work then she's not able to pay her own way and we either have to support her or kick her out. Neither of which is ideal. Better to give her a bit of support in getting back on the road and being able to pay her own way.

The quid bet goes to MarJay as he was closest. Careless driving (which I think is slightly different to DWDCAA). She was involved in a very minor accident with an off duty policeman. She should have given way at a mini roundabout but clearly wasn't paying attention. He reported her for the offence and the CPS gave her a conditional offer of a driver improvement course instead of prosecution. The feckless lazy cowbag couldn't be arsed to pick up the phone and book a place on the course despite me and DH nagging her daily to do so. Next thing you know the time allowed to book it has passed before she bothered to pick up the phone and it goes to court instead. I took her to court but didn't go in with her as she wanted her BF with her instead, I'm guessing they took a dim view on her antics so threw the book at her.

So yeah, totally her own doing and I've very little sympathy, not making any excuses for her whatsoever, but unless we're prepared to see her kicked out on the street or simply keep funding her unemployed arse, the best thing to do is give her a bit of help and encouragement with getting back on the road as we live rurally and you have to drive to get anywhere. Yes she could move to a town or a city and find work but without a job in the first place how is she going to afford the deposit on a flat? It's catch 22! This has to be the best way forward.

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Meanwile, 125's is 125's and gobsones, theres no good choices just less daaft ones

In that case would you care to contribute something useful, other than your parenting pearls of wisdom of course, and suggest some 'less daft' bikes we should be considering?

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Easy of use, comfort on a long ride, good weather protection, petite... sorry, all that says scooter Sad

Beggars can't be choosers!

I have to agree. As you rightly said beggars can't be choosers. Plus I'm not sure she can be trusted to look after a chain. The more I think about it the more it's pointing towards a scooter. The PCX125 is a good looking scooter and they seem to be everywhere. There's more of them for sale on Auto Trader than any other 125 scooter. That has to say something for the bike.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 19 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I can't help but think even insurance on a 125 is going to be crippling for a 20yo with 9 points already.

MarJay wrote:
Either way the insurance company will either say "£10k please!" or "Hahahahaha!"

MarJay wrote:
Actually my quid goes on driving without due care... Driving without insurance is 6-8 points.

Can't believe you hit the nail on the head three times in a row.

While I was composing my last post I was also trying to get some insurance quotes. The results were almost exactly what you predicted. I decided to submit my last post in its entirety anyway as it was virtually completed by the time I got the insurance results:

For a PCX125 I entered realistic figures for bike value, estimated annual mileage etc. Nobody would quote her regardless whether it was FC, TPFT, TP only, pillion passenger or not, tried putting voluntary excess to the max, nobody quoting her. Obviously she needs it to commute so no point trying to get a price for SDP only without commuting.

'Tweaked' the figures a bit, undervalued the bike, lowered the annual mileage, removed pillion cover, added two security devices, tried all three FC, TPFT and TP only, maximum voluntary excess, also put on there she had a full bike licence instead of a provisional (because if this made it affordable it would be worth her doing the test), manipulated the figures as best I could managed to get a quote for £11k. Swapped the bike to a 50cc Vision got it down to £2.5k...

It might be worth re-visiting insurance quotes after a year has passed. Until then, she's fucking walking!

I still think it's worth her re-doing her car test even if she can't get insurance for a couple of years. Might even encourage her to do her bike test. Who knows - in two years car insurance may still be unaffordable but by that point bike insurance may be just about affordable.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 19 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eleven fahsand nicker for 125 scoot insurance???????

Bloody kids eh?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 19 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucy S wrote:
Wow I had do double check when I read all the replies that I hadn't inadvertently posted on Mumsnet. Generally speaking I go there for parenting advice and here for biking advice but it seems the world has been tipped upside down.

Smile I agree. There are places for these posts though (just not in the Workshop).

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 19 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

All been said, but the first post screamed of the word delusional, and we've seen this type of parent on here many times before.

My questions would be:

1, Does she really want to ride a motorbike for daily transport? After driving a car a bike is rarely better or more enjoyable/comfortable/easier.

2, So she's expecting you to fund buying this motorbike and the insurance etc to get it road legal for her, so all she has to do is ride it. Is she even going to pay for her own petrol, or just ring mum and dad and say Its run out can you come and help me?

3, So going onto her earning money straight away from having transport, is that guaranteed? Have you told her your expecting £xx a month in repayments?

4, Oh and lastly now your reluctantly saying how daft she is and it's all her own fault, then firstly how comfortable and confident are you that she'd even be safe on a bike and that she would be an attentive and careful rider enough to hopefully stay out of trouble and stay alive even? (If she was my daughter I'd be dead against her ever trying to ride a bike if she couldn't prove she was a good and careful driver with a good attitude).

Secondly how confident are you that she'd be bothered to do all the necessary paperwork to keep a bike legally on the road, or that she'd do all the (frequent and intensive maintenance compared to a car) to keep said bike safe and running. I mean is her attitude to security and locking it up when parked going to be shit hot? Otherwise you could almost half expect her to phone one day and say bike's been nicked can you pick me up.

I'm with Marjay and to an extent Tef on this. I'd also show her the thread as it might be a reality check for her. And after that if I still as a parent felt the need to help her again, I'd as other people have said get her a bus or train season ticket, and say there you go now sort your life out.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 273 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2