Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Newbie Advice (CBT Related)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mclovin147
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:21 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Newbie Advice (CBT Related) Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I have basically the second part of my CBT tomorrow having thrown the towel in last week on my first attempt (During that mini heatwave).

Last week I was very nervous going in, but kind of relaxed abit more after a few laps on a geared 125. It took me a little while to wrap my head around the slow speed manoeuvres, gathering the clutch and holding revs while using the back break to control speed, and I also seemed to struggle with keeping the throttle smooth and constant, I was quite ‘Jerky’ at slow speeds. But my main concern (and something to instructor was a little concerned about) was how shaky was, I wasn’t very stable at lower speeds or when doing U turns (Nailed it eventually)

I did the figure of 8 and the Slalom and the U turn to a reasonable standard, and was was confident with using the clutch, don’t recall stalling once on pulling away. but when we came to practice junctions I was just a mess, think mainly due to the onset of heatstroke and still being nervous/shaky. Felt like I had too much to concentrate on at once, even though it’s a seriously basic manoeuvre. This was the first time I had ever been on a motorcycle (don’t have a car license either) and I haven’t ridden a push bike in around 10 years either, so maybe I’m being abit hard on myself, but any tips on the following would be much appreciated;

- Being stable and less shaky (This I feel is the big one)

- shifting gears/foot positioning (Feel like I was concentrating way too much on simply shifting gears the few times we went to second gear lol)

- Slow speed manoeuvres (Keep the revs high?)

I honestly think my main problem is I need to relax and calm down. Having done some research, the shaking/lack of balance could be down to me being so tense and putting pressure on the handlebars, apparently I should have a firm grip, but feel relaxed holding on and not be inputting ‘steering’ when there is no need?

Oh, and I also ‘dropped’ the bike too at one point, doing life saver before pulling off, the head spin to look behind me soon as I lifted my feet threw my balance and I went down! Although, in my defence, I did not ‘Drop it’ I went past the point of no return on my one leg and let it down slowly (half of me still underneath it!) so no damage to the bike, but a small blow to my confidence lol

Gonna take the push bike out of the shed now and do a few laps around the neighbourhood, see if I can get a proper feel for it and build some confidence on two wheels.

I’m also one of those fools who bought their bike before getting their license, I have a Honda CB125R waiting for me to pass this CBT, seems like a very good beginners bike to go with. Be useful when I have the CBT so I can take it to a car park and get more comfortable/confident.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... CBT isn't meant to be something you pass or fail! Strictly speaking the school could refuse to issue you the certificate I suppose Smile

6 months ago I'd never ridden a motorbike and in 2 weeks I'll (hopefully) have passed my Mod 2. I also did the same: had a 125 in the front garden before doing the CBT. It's an incentive to not let it sit there so don't worry about it!

I would say you just need more time and practise. Leave it a week and ride around on the push-bike as much as you can.

Mclovin147
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:46 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man!

Yeah I did not fail it, I just called it a day as I was just ruined by that point. 2.5-3 hrs in direct sunlight in full gear barely moving took its toll on me lol that and I had lost a lot of confidence by that point.

Instructor warned us before going out that it would be hellish conditions for the first half of the day and that is was common for people to break into two days.

The one instructor actually offered to put me on a moped to just get the certificate, which I felt was a bit dodgy. I did not feel I had good enougj confidence/control of the bike to hit the roads just yet. Besides, That’s like getting your car license after spending a few hours in go-cart really lol I can see why he offered it though, get the certificate, practise on my own bike in a quiet place, again, I was ok with the clutch etc so I suppose it made sense.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Wow... CBT isn't meant to be something you pass or fail! Strictly speaking the school could refuse to issue you the certificate I suppose Smile

Back when I was 17 it took me 3 days and 2 training schools to get my CBT certificate Laughing I just couldnt get the hang of using the clutch. I think you will find that now you've had a break you will be much better than before.

I dont like the idea of doing it on a moped just to get the certificate. Your there for training so if you are not ready then surely it's better to stay there and have the professionals teach you instead of doing it by yourself.

Mclovin147
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:23 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading that make me feel a little better, I guess when you think about it, asking someone who has never been on the road before to not only learn to control a bike, but to actually be confident enough to ride the bike on public roads in half day is a pretty big ask!

I reckon I have, collectively, ridden a motorcycle for all of about 1 hour in total (allowing for time spent listening and waiting for others to do stuff). And many people have said the slow speed manoeuvres and the training ground exercises are far harder than the actual road ride. So maybe I’m just behind hard on myself.

Excited to get back in the saddle tomorrow morning, but I’m feeling the pressure to obtain the certificate now. Fingers crossed. Hopefully I can relax more, gonna make a conscious effort to keep a relaxed hold on the bike, spend less time over thinking things and get a better/natural feel for it I think

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:36 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a big bottle of water with you to drink and do actually drink it. Thumbs Up

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Wow... CBT isn't meant to be something you pass or fail! Strictly speaking the school could refuse to issue you the certificate I suppose

They can, and frequently do. It's not unusual to take more than one session to get the certificate. Don't sweat it, you'll get there.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:51 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah yeah yeah, the CBT isn't something you pass or fail.

It's training rather than a test and once you reach the required standard you get given your DL196 CBT certificate. If you don't reach the required standard then they're not going to give you that certificate.

The fact it's not something you pass or fail is somewhat playing with semantics. Wink

Mclovin147
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:02 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.

Weather forecast looks much kinder tomorrow. So hopefully I can pull everything together and make progress.

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a gap and sleeping on it gives your brain time to process stuff.

I did my (1st) CBT on a really hot day, undiagnosed pain from arthritis, no sleep cos I was like a kid before Christmas and ended the day bawling with exhaustion! Razz

Nailed it the 2nd day.

The few days/weeks between give your head time to get what it's just learned mostly in order.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:11 - 11 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's not like they mark you like the theory/mod1/mod2... there's a pass mark with those tests. CBT is a bit more subjective (relatively speaking.)

Did the Mod 1 on about the hottest point in June (Thurs/Fri before that mega hot Saturday) it's not just hydration gotta keep your sugars up too. I felt a bit wobbly half way through the 1st day! Thankfully we stopped for lunch and I felt a lot better after that. So I know whereof you speak Wink

Mclovin147
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:33 - 11 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Il be setting off for round 2 very shortly!

Wish me luck, hopefully see you on the other side!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:11 - 11 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! And stay frosty Thumbs Up

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:12 - 11 Jul 2019    Post subject: keep calm and carry on Reply with quote

Bit late, but hope it went well.

My CBT experience last year was similar, in hindsight all down to too much tension... when I got the CBT, rode around on a 125cc for a bit and got more training and full licence. Have an attitude of constantly learning and improving.

When things start becoming second instinct and your arms, shoulders and neck loosen up it will seem a lot easier.

Mclovin147
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:40 - 11 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nailed it!

May aswell have been a completely different person riding today. Hardest part was the slow manoeuvres and the training ground stuff. The ride out on the road was very easy and calming compared to it. Weirdly, it felt very natural and almost effortless.

Obviously made a few mistakes, but nothing major, and even responded well to a real sticky situation, Lady pulled out on a blind comer just as I came around, I could see her looking the other way and KNEW she had not seen me, she must have looked my way half second earlier...Did a little skid, but came to a safe stop without stalling and she apologised...No ones fault really, just horrible blind corner and bad timing

Very very pleased with how it went Smile

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:52 - 11 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff! Yes, see the potential dangers way before they have a chance to develop. You should live long and prosperous life Smile

See you on the road Thumbs Up

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:21 - 11 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats.. it must be nice having a bike ready to go, I had to wait a couple of weeks for mine..

Are you planning to get the full licence?

Mclovin147
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:43 - 11 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

And yes, my Honda CB125R is ready and waiting now! Though I feel exhausted after concentrating so hard all day, I’m gonna wait until tomorrow to take it out.

Glad my Bike has ABS unlike the ones today, will hopefully help me stop skidding in those ‘Sticky situations’ Smile

At first I was worried that the lack of gear indicators on the old school ‘dashboard’ was gonna have me confused as to what gear I was in and had me concerned, but honestly I’m very glad it did not have a gear indicator, I learnt to listen and feel the engine all day and had no problems managing gears, which seems vital!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:00 - 11 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mclovin147 wrote:
I could see her looking the other way and KNEW she had not seen me, she must have looked my way half second earlier...Did a little skid, but came to a safe stop without stalling

Thumbs Up

Perfect.

TrentHardcore
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:14 - 16 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

6 months ago I'd never ridden a motorbike and in 2 weeks I'll (hopefully) have passed my Mod 2. I also did the same: had a 125 in the front garden before doing the CBT. It's an incentive to not let it sit there so don't worry about it!

I would say you just need more time and practise. Leave it a week and ride around on the push-bike as much as you can.

What’s your views on the Keeway. I’ve one sitting in the drive waiting on me to do the CBT

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:48 - 17 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well obviously it's the best thing ever and I'm not just saying that 'cos I'm selling mine, oh no!

Seriously though, for looks it's, IMHO, the best looking of all the Chinesium made cruisers. I can't say anything positive about the rest of the bike but it looks fantastic!

It doesn't accelerate well (I have the later EFI one) it's not happy doing over 50, handling is okay I suppose... the brakes are pretty good but you never really go fast enough to test them out.

Other than that it's just your ordinary Chinese bike: easy to work on and fine as long as you regularly change the oil and bathe it in ACF-50 Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 256 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1