Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Custom Stainless/Titanium Exhaust Headers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 14 Jul 2019    Post subject: Custom Stainless/Titanium Exhaust Headers Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've got a 2011 XT660Z Tenere. It's a good all round adventure bike and I'm currently in the process of tidying it up a bit after some off road abuse.

One area that I've been struggling with a bit is the exhaust headers. They're mild steel (nickel plated out of the factory) and they're quite rusty. It's all surface rust, the pipes are still solid, but it looks awful. The clamps are so rusty that the bolts probably wouldn't come out in one piece.

Now, I could go out and get them ceramic coated and fit new (possibly stainless) clamps, but I'd much rather get a set of stainless or titanium headers for it; unfortunately it seems nobody makes a set of these for this bike (although it seems a company in Germany used to) and as such I'm forced to investigate having a set made.

Unfortunately the XT660Z exhaust is not exactly simple, the front bit being shaped like the attached picture plus some more out the back:

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/f3a3a1c04fcb92ace5b16a3b5d4f.jpg

Can anybody recommend a company or person that could fabricate a decent set of headers given the original one as a template?

Cheers!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:46 - 14 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! Have an adventure: buy a welder and some pipe and make your own... how hard could it be? Wink

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 14 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Hey! Have an adventure: buy a welder and some pipe and make your own... how hard could it be? Wink

I've got a pretty decent MiG welder, and have done such things before, however this exhaust has a lot of bends in it and I don't have a pipe bender. I'd also like them hydraulically bent rather than mandrel so I don't end up with creases everywhere.

If you'd like to invest in a Hydraulic pipe bender and allow me to come and use it then I'd definitely be up for the challenge, otherwise I don't fancy making that many cuts and welds to get a pipe sort of bent into the correct shape! Laughing

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 14 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's this company. No idea whether they're any good. I don't think it will be cheap.

https://www.gfmoto.com/

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:55 - 16 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will these fit?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manifold-Collector-DOMINATOR-Exhaust-Downpipes-Frontpipes-XT660-XT-660-R-04-14/273686446454?hash=item3fb8fbc176:g:O3AAAOSw~JFcWUYg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 16 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Custom Stainless/Titanium Exhaust Headers Reply with quote

Nope. wrote:
One area that I've been struggling with a bit is the exhaust headers. They're mild steel (nickel plated out of the factory) and they're quite rusty. It's all surface rust, the pipes are still solid, but it looks awful.

There was I thinking "Oh, they look OK".

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:27 - 16 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expect to spend upwards of £500 to get that made in stainless.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:53 - 17 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pah! Save all that money and just wrap it...

It'll give the bike character, trust me Wink

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:48 - 17 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible to get everything off without snapping bolts as long as you're patient and use plenty of penetrating oil. If that fails, use heat. It's not even that bad if you snap off bolts, they can be drilled out. Why don't you try doing that, then you can clean the pipes up and either leave them or paint them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 17 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Custom Stainless/Titanium Exhaust Headers Reply with quote

Nope. wrote:

Now, I could go out and get them ceramic coated and fit new (possibly stainless) clamps,

This surely, or do what most people would do and scrub them up each year and treat to some VHT - unless of course you have unimaginably deep pockets and want 'the look'.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 18 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four stroke pipes should be cheaper in theory especially for a single and only a front pipe. I have no idea how much a top quality four stroke pipe builder like Race fit or Pipeworx would charge though? Don't you have a good stainless steel car exhaust place near by who could make you a set?

As for hydraulically formed pipes, good luck as most car exhaust places use mandrel bent pipes which works fine as long as the bore size is sufficient. The only hydraulic headers Ive ever heard of are the Micron serpent ones, and they disappeared soon after they came out.

My custom stainless steel two stroke exhaust was £320 so I'd expect your XT pipes to be cheaper than that!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 281 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1