Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dealership - Service after 4 weeks?!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

stacyd83
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:01 - 16 Jul 2019    Post subject: Dealership - Service after 4 weeks?! Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

So my beloved Lambretta arrived yesterday and on the paperwork the dealer has stated I need a service 'after 311 miles' OR 'August 18th 2019 - whatever comes first'.....

Now, really? I need a service after just over a month?! REALLY?!

I have left numerous messages for these guys and have had no calls back so far...(typical eh?...)

Thoughts welcomed! Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 16 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Dealership - Service after 4 weeks?! Reply with quote

stacyd83 wrote:

What problem do you have in mind?

They'll check the tyres, the lights and other things you want to work, look at the brakes, change oils, tighten your nuts (oops, sorry!), and basically give it the once-over. I shouldn't think there'll be more to it.

stacyd83
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:12 - 16 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

my bike needs a service after '311 miles' OR 'August 18th 2019' - whatever comes first?....
this is normal?...August 18th being just over a month since I bought it?

hey maybe i'm missing the point here... Confused Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 16 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ex-housemate had a Gilera scooter which had shorter service intervals than my superbikes, it's how they make their money.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 16 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stacyd83 wrote:
my bike needs a service after '311 miles' OR 'August 18th 2019' - whatever comes first?....
this is normal?...August 18th being just over a month since I bought it?

hey maybe i'm missing the point here... Confused Confused

After you start using a new machine, things get jiggled about, loosen off and might even drop off if not checked. A new engine may have odds and ends like swarf washed out by the oil. It's a routine check. Remember that perhaps most people only just about know one end of a bike from another, so can't reliably check things themselves.

When you have a tyre changed, for instance, most advice is to check tyre pressure & wheen tightness after 50-100 miles. Same concept.

EDIT: I take it that you have a brand-new scooter. Look in the user or service manual to see what normal service interval is. I bet the first service is a much shorter interval than normal.

stacyd83
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:42 - 16 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

can you hear my wallet screaming?!

my dad said to check the manual (yes the scooter is brand new) too, thanks....

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:20 - 16 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stacyd83 wrote:
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

can you hear my wallet screaming?!

my dad said to check the manual (yes the scooter is brand new) too, thanks....

First service should be free except for fluids and bits. No labour.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:42 - 17 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it! The factory oil is intended to be thrown away ASAP so you'll really being doing yourself a disservice not to get that service Very Happy

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 04:17 - 17 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be getting it serviced after 311 miles or by the 18th August if I were you. Cable stretch, nuts unwinding, bits of swarf rattling around the engine, blah blah blah. its definitely in your interest to get it done. Sometimes its included in the terms of the sale, but in todays penny pinching society don't be surprised if you need to shell out for it. Most vehicles would have a scheduled service after an average month's use.

Try selling an Audi back to the main dealer that didn't have its 1200 mile service and you will be very sadly disappointed with the offer they make you.

stacyd83
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:22 - 17 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to get the dealership to confirm.

My Lambretta manual states first service after 1000km...

Thanks for the advice folks Very Happy

stacyd83
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:18 - 17 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dealership confirmed - service required after a month of use.... have to take it to them to maintain a 5 year warranty, if I go to a local garage I only get a 2 year warranty.... anyone know how to get from Ashby de la Zouch to Blackburn without using a motorway?! Rolling Eyes

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 17 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Dealership - Service after 4 weeks?! Reply with quote

stacyd83 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

So my beloved Lambretta arrived yesterday and on the paperwork the dealer has stated I need a service 'after 311 miles' OR 'August 18th 2019 - whatever comes first'.....

Now, really? I need a service after just over a month?! REALLY?!

I have left numerous messages for these guys and have had no calls back so far...(typical eh?...)

300 miles, you should cover that well before August 18th, so, not really an issue??

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 17 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stacyd83 wrote:
Dealership confirmed - service required after a month of use.... have to take it to them to maintain a 5 year warranty, if I go to a local garage I only get a 2 year warranty.... anyone know how to get from Ashby de la Zouch to Blackburn without using a motorway?! Rolling Eyes

There you go, that's practically half of your 300 miles there !! Smile If I was to ride that avoiding motorways, I'd go up, via Ashbourne,Macclesfield, Stockport, and round the east of Manchester..

Are you likely to be keeping the scooter for 5 years? If not, just use a local garage.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:05 - 17 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stacyd83 wrote:

Why can't you go to a closer main dealer and still maintain your warranty?

There's one in Cannock, which is 1/3 the distance:

https://www.lambrettauk.co.uk/dealers?postcode=Ashby+de+la+Zouch

Edit: Nottingham's even closer: Nottingham, NG98GG

Edit: If I were you, I would be inclined to ask Lambretta UK themselves about the job and the effect on warranty if yo0u go to another main dealer: https://www.lambrettauk.co.uk/contact

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 17 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

311 miles is 500km, if the manual suggests 1000km they might have their own policy as a result of previous experiences.
Usually the cost of that first service and check round is pretty low., and it is one probably best done by supplying dealer unless you hate them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stacyd83
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:18 - 18 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

In terms of mileage, I worked out for my needs I will be doing 40ish miles a week as work is only 3 miles (round trip) per day, with other journeys (all local) would take a few months to build up to 300....

As a new rider, travelling to Blackburn scares the you know what out of me.... Lambretta advise a first service after 1000km as per the manual...

I will probably upgrade in less than 5 years so yes I get your point about the warranty not being relevant...

stacyd83
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:20 - 18 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.lambrettauk.co.uk/dealers?postcode=Ashby+de+la+Zouch

Edit: Nottingham's even closer: Nottingham, NG98GG

Edit: If I were you, I would be inclined to ask Lambretta UK themselves about the job and the effect on warranty if yo0u go to another main dealer: https://www.lambrettauk.co.uk/contact[/quote]

Thank you for this! I will look in to this Laughing

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 18 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

First service should be free except for fluids and bits. No labour.

Not always the case, unfortunately, had to pay for the Enfield's first service Sad

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 18 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Why can't you go to a closer main dealer and still maintain your warranty?

The odds are, that, it's a standard 2 year warranty, but, the supplying dealer has added an extra 3 years on, which is good for you if you live by the dealer, and, is good for the dealer, as they get your repeat 'service' custom.

If I remember rightly, speedway motorcycles in Cannock do something similar, except, you don't have to use them to service the bike, you can use a local garage. I haven't used them, so, i couldn't tell you how well that works in practice.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 282 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1