Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Clarifying route to license please...?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 15 Jul 2019    Post subject: Clarifying route to license please...? Reply with quote

My son's decided he wants to get into biking and has asked me to help explain how the license system works - well I don't bloody know, do I: when I took my one-and-only bike test I just had to ride round the block twice and the examiner was on foot...

Anyway I'm still struggling to understand how it will all apply to him. He probably wants to start next spring, when he'll be 24. Has a car licence, but no biking experience, and he wants to start off riding a 125 for at least a decent while to learn the ropes, and I'm certainly not averse to that as a plan. So I get that he'll need to do CBT first, and then off he goes on L-plates for a max of 2 years.

On the assumption that he'll want to achieve an A license, what happens then? Presumably he can pass MOD 1 and 2 on his 125 but how will he progress after that? Can he then buy a mid-range bike and stick L plates on that? Or will he only be able to ride a bike over 125cc with a training school at that point? Will he be affected by the 35kW limit given that he'll be 24?

Sorry for being thick...

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:31 - 15 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step 1 - Get CBT

Step 2 - Ride 125 on CBT until 25th Birthday

Step 3 - Do DAS on riding schools big bike and get full A licence.

Step 4 - Wheelies
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 15 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he's leaving it till he's 24, then a theory test is all he'll need before going onto a full A (das) course. He can do a CBT tomorrow and ride a 125 until then getting road time in before test. Pop into a local school and chat to them for more info.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 15 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. So what's confusing me a bit is, is DAS the only possible route open to someone wanting to get the licence or even ride anything bigger than a 125 on the road?

So (regardless of whether a newbie has an A1 license) is the only time he can ride something larger than 125 cc is when he is accompanied by a qualified trainer?

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 15 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
is DAS the only possible route?

No, it's just the easiest one...
If he has a 'suitable' bike ( https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/list-of-motorcycles-that-can-be-used-for-riding-tests ), can get it insured as a learner and can get it to the test centre legally then he can do the tests himself without involving a riding school.

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
is the only time he can ride something larger than 125 cc is when he is accompanied by a qualified trainer?

Unfortunately so.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:58 - 19 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy_uk wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
is DAS the only possible route?

No, it's just the easiest one...
If he has a 'suitable' bike ( https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/list-of-motorcycles-that-can-be-used-for-riding-tests ), can get it insured as a learner and can get it to the test centre legally then he can do the tests himself without involving a riding school.

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
is the only time he can ride something larger than 125 cc is when he is accompanied by a qualified trainer?

Unfortunately so.

Then the problem is getting used to the bigger bikes riding quirks which in the olden days meant finding some patch of land to play around in before taking the test.
Now bikers now are semi-scalped for £££s by being forced to hire a personal instructor.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 19 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
Then the problem is getting used to the bigger bikes riding quirks which in the olden days meant finding some patch of land to play around in before taking the test.
Now bikers now are semi-scalped for £££s by being forced to hire a personal instructor.

Well yes but it depends on your capacity for self improvement. I certainly regard myself as generally capable (or as my wife would put it: the most arrogant son-of-a-bitch she knows) but even I was surprised how much I learned at a decent bike school. Money well spent!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:58 - 19 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the plus side most of them survive the first 3 weeks of riding a bike.

Tbf, I've no idea how I survived learning how to ride one. I have scars in places that most people don't even have places.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 254 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1