BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Battery Acid

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:27 - 22 Jul 2019    Post subject: Battery Acid Reply with quote

I need some, about 2 litres of it but the place I got it from before says that the new laws for acid and corrosive substances means he can't sell it to the public, only to a registered business. Evil or Very Mad Another reason to hate the unwashed bottom feeding London gang scum.

Does anyone know of a way of getting hold of any nowadays or am I going to have to get it from France and pay silly postage costs?

PS, I'm not going to chuck it at anyone Jo Brand, not even you.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 22 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't you a registered business with your boats? Idea

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 22 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's lucky anyone wanting to throw it will buy it fresh, and wouldn't think they could pour some out of any old car battery.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:53 - 22 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
Aren't you a registered business with your boats? Idea

I was, but officially retired and closed the business April this year. I only do little jobs helping out friends and acquaintances now so it would be a bit unfair to try and blag it using my old buisness name, especially as there is a 2 year sentence for selling the acid to a private person.

You probably get longer inside selling it than if you chucked it at someone. Rolling Eyes

doggone wrote:
It's lucky anyone wanting to throw it will buy it fresh, and wouldn't think they could pour some out of any old car battery.

They are probably too stupid to think of that, or haven't worked out how to turn the car upside down to drain it!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:29 - 22 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about your highly unprofitable, sole-proprietorship motorcycle repair business with only one customer?

If it makes less than £1000 a year, it doesn't need to be registered with HMRC.

Get that letterhead printed off.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 22 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Battery Acid Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I need some, about 2 litres of it

Interesting. What do you want it for, filling a dry-charged battery?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:16 - 22 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Battery Acid Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
I need some, about 2 litres of it

Interesting. What do you want it for, filling a dry-charged battery?

I have some very large leisure batteries out of a big launch that are bordering on iffy. I've had success in the past, equalising charge, emptying them, washing out the plates with distilled water and then filling with new acid and charging up. They never get back to new but if I can get a couple more years out of a battery that costs £400+ new it's worth trying.

If it doesn't work because the plates are too far gone then I just trade them in as scrap and get the money back that way, however if I have to pay stupid prices for the acid it isn't worth it.

I shall look into Stinkwheels suggestion but I want to be sure I'm not going to get coppers smashing my door down and dragging me off kicking and screaming Laughing

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 22 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Battery Acid Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I have some very large leisure batteries out of a big launch that are bordering on iffy. I've had success in the past, equalising charge, emptying them, washing out the plates with distilled water and then filling with new acid and charging up. They never get back to new but if I can get a couple more years out of a battery that costs £400+ new it's worth trying.

Oh! I've done similar things with batteries before. The problem seems to be that sludge falling off the plates builds up under and shorts the plates.

Take them along to Beds Batteries to refill? Edit: Bedford Batteries, branch in MK.

Last edited by Riejufixing on 22:36 - 22 Jul 2019; edited 1 time in total

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 22 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batteries use Sulfuric acid dont they?
not sure of concentration though

Perhaps a local battery joint would top them up if you took them there

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 22 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulphuric acid is an explosive precursor and sales need to be recorded and stuff now.

Pesky terrorists

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:44 - 23 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mate of mine used to swear by putting a pinch of EDTA into each cell of lead acid batteries as a means of increasing longevity.

Chemically it ought to bind a lot of metal ions, preventing them becoming electroplated onto the lead. Might be worth a try on any new ones or if/when you get the old ones topped up?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:51 - 23 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
Sulphuric acid is an explosive precursor and sales need to be recorded and stuff now.

Pesky terrorists

Nah, it's after the acid attacks, any strong acid over a certain strength isn't allowed to be sold to the public in case it gets thrown in someones face.

In the classic way of knee-jerk legislation, there are numerous unintended consequences. The one I run into constantly is that the only readily available, suitable and authorised disinfectant vets are supposed to use for disinfecting after a suspect tuberculosis case contains iodine and sulphuric acid. In it's undiluted form it's strong enough to be caught by these new rules. We're a business so that's ok but the regs also prevent people carrying more than a certain volume in a vehicle so our wholesaler is not allowed to deliver it.

I now have to dilute it with water and carry it about in a huge 20l drum where I used to carry a small pot and mix it up as-needed.

dodgydog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:17 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have at least a dozen half litre plastic containers of battery acid in the garage. They're still sealed in the plastic bags but they've been there years (does the acid deteriorate?). You're welcome to have them for free, although I don't much fancy posting them, (would it be even legal?). I'm in Bradford if you can come and get them, or know someone who wants to collect them?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:12 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgydog wrote:
I have at least a dozen half litre plastic containers of battery acid in the garage. They're still sealed in the plastic bags but they've been there years (does the acid deteriorate?). You're welcome to have them for free, although I don't much fancy posting them, (would it be even legal?). I'm in Bradford if you can come and get them, or know someone who wants to collect them?

Thanks for the offer and if it wasn't that someone local has offered me a couple of litres i'd have snatched your hand off even if it meant a couple of hours drive. Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:21 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgydog wrote:
blah blah blah

Shhh!

Since the 1st of November last year, it's an offence to possess containers of battery acid. Wink

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
A mate of mine used to swear by putting a pinch of EDTA into each cell of lead acid batteries as a means of increasing longevity.

EDTA which as we all know and didn't have to feckin google it is
ethylenediaminetetraaceticacid tetrasodium salt, also known as N,N'-1,2- Ethanediylbis[N-(carboxymethyl)glycene] tetrasodium salt

Got some in the pantry next to the baking powder

Uses:
https://www.getchem.com/ui/news/102.html

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:21 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it stands it's a nice little earner forcing people to spend more.
In the case of this thread, meaning people have to buy new expensive batteries instead of fixing it themselves.

There's this knee jerk Offensive Weapons act which restricts the sale of corrosives to under 18s and mail order which could affect lots of people i.e DIY and hobbyists, when the people commuting crimes with it aren't bothered what it is so long as it burns.

It's the same with blades, as if most of this crime is committed by under 18s separate from over 18s.
It also changes the definition and properly bans flick knives and a load of other items but there's meant to be compo if you have anything caught by it.

https://freemanssolicitors.net/news-blog/tough-new-weapons-laws-hit-the-statute-book/

Talking of stupid laws, here's another one favouring attack dogs.
https://freemanssolicitors.net/news-blog/finns-law-what-it-means/

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:32 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
blah blah blah

But because you're a freeman of the land, none of those pesky laws apply to you?

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Battery Acid Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
What do you want it for?
I have some very large leisure batteries out of a big launch

Yes, that's the reason and definately not using it to make a body disappear... Cool

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:39 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Jmoan wrote:
blah blah blah

But because you're a freeman of the land, none of those pesky laws apply to you?

They're proper legal workers over a range of areas in law.
No need to see the name and get
https://media1.tenor.com/images/ff9ac4b6c8071d9ddb28d0c40721074b/tenor.gif

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:39 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Battery Acid Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
I have some very large leisure batteries out of a big launch

Yes, that's the reason and definately not using it to make a body disappear... Cool

Hubble bubble toil and trouble.

How much do I use Mr, Haigh? Whistle

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amateurs.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2xUynRdzzsM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:55 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
They're proper legal workers over a range of areas in law.

Do you have any examples of the freeman of the land defence working in court?

dodgydog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Jmoan wrote:
blah blah blah

More that I couldn't give a fuck really.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

A film called "Snatch".

Not *quite* what I was expecting.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 248 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2