Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Plastikote changed!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 07 Jul 2019    Post subject: Plastikote changed! Reply with quote

Plastikote WoodStove paint used to be a pleasing satin black that was just the job on engine casings, exhausts etc.. Part way through painting the clutch cover on my FZ rn out so nipped out to B&M and got a fresh can - but this fucker is now fully matt so no different to the BBQ shite, Grrr!

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:06 - 07 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The world's smallest violin player, just for you!

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 07 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the other stuff? PJ7 or something?

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 07 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ1 it is Thumbs Up

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost every product has changed, usually for the worse. Examples:

McDonalds (no dripping, smaller buns, no salt, no plastic straws, milkshakes not crunchy with crushed ice any more)
Radox (used to be the best-smelling product - now it smells like everything else)
Kronenbourg 1664 (used to be a strong-tasting, Alsace-style lager and now it's more like a cheap Pils)
Soaps (they all used to have strong smells, e.g. Imperial Leather)
Bike gear (used to be made of thicker stuff and very strong)

By the time it ends up in B&M, chances are it's not what it was, and is just trading on its old brand name.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Almost every product has changed, usually for the worse. Examples:
Soaps (they all used to have strong smells, e.g. Imperial Leather)

Wright's coal-tar soap. Now contains only "tea tree oil" (?) and "coal-tar perfume" (?). PAH! I've got some of the original in the back of the cupboard. Probably a criminal offence to use it.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Wright's coal-tar soap. Now contains only "tea tree oil" (?) and "coal-tar perfume" (?). PAH! I've got some of the original in the back of the cupboard. Probably a criminal offence to use it.

Yes, I still use Wright's Coal Tar, but I miss that powerful "carbolic" smell it had (as strong as TCP). But most of all, old-school ZEST. That was the shit. The smell of that soap used to SEAR.

Chinaboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:41 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
But most of all, old-school ZEST. That was the shit. The smell of that soap used to SEAR.

I am too scared to use some of the soaps here in China... I use pussy Dove if i can find it. Smile

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:29 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitromoors. It used to shift any paint in one shot.

Now it is an utter waste of space. Evil or Very Mad

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:16 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Rubbish, I've found it still works (OK a little bit slower than it used to), you just have to keep throwing the can at whatever you want the paint off and it eventually chips it away
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:20 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I got some thickly painted pipework back to bare copper so I could cut into it to add a water supply for my washing machine
which used to be in my (about to be demolished) utility room. It had so much paint on it, my pipe slice wouldn't go round the pipe.
Nitromors fixed that in the time it took to walk the dog. Slapped a bit on, pissed off out with the dog, had a pint and came home
and wiped it off.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:34 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still utter pants compared to what it was before H&S decided the general public couldn't be trusted not to drink it or spread it on baby's sandwiches.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything containing Dichloromethane is considered not ok for public use which is why Nitromors is as much use as soap and water since they changed it.

Starchem from ebay if you really must but it makes the original nasty Nitromors look like piss so be very careful and don't use indoors cause it will likely off you.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:05 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Anything containing Dichloromethane is considered not ok for public use which is why Nitromors is as much use as soap and water since they changed it.

Starchem from ebay if you really must but it makes the original nasty Nitromors look like piss so be very careful and don't use indoors cause it will likely off you.

I bought some Dichloromethane to pep up some modern nitromors but it's still struggling to remove the paint from an eighties Puch bicycle I'm restoring. God knows what the paint on it is made of, it's a bstard to get off.

That's another thing that's changed, push bikes these days have too many gears. I bought the Puch off gumtree because it was the only way I could find a five speed.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:07 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Plastikote changed! Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Plastikote WoodStove paint used to be a pleasing satin black that was just the job on engine casings, exhausts etc.. Part way through painting the clutch cover on my FZ rn out so nipped out to B&M and got a fresh can - but this fucker is now fully matt so no different to the BBQ shite, Grrr!

Try looking in an old fashioned hardware store they might have old stock.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:53 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creosote.......the really smelly good for all things out side, now some twat has decided to call it creokote......mmmmmmm that sounds the same but you’d probably have better results by peeing on the timber.
And then you’ve got Fencecoat, that water based over priced fancy coloured gunky crap which after a year on a fence has all washed out.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:55 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
GT200Fan79 wrote:

I bought some Dichloromethane to pep up some modern nitromors but it's still struggling to remove the paint from an eighties Puch bicycle I'm restoring. God knows what the paint on it is made of, it's a bstard to get off.

That's another thing that's changed, push bikes these days have too many gears. I bought the Puch off gumtree because it was the only way I could find a five speed.

Try a plumbers heat flame torch, and an old scraper.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
It's still utter pants compared to what it was before H&S decided the general public couldn't be trusted not to drink it or spread it on baby's sandwiches.

Yeah, I found it didn't do as much damage to people's car paintwork. Whistle

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 08 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The world's smallest violin player, just for you!

Yeah Ok.. Meant to post under 'what grinds my gonads' thread but messed up.. not for the last time I'll wager.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grubscrew wrote:
Creosote.......the really smelly good for all things out side, now some twat has decided to call it creokote......mmmmmmm that sounds the same but you’d probably have better results by peeing on the timber.
And then you’ve got Fencecoat, that water based over priced fancy coloured gunky crap which after a year on a fence has all washed out.

You can still get the original if you pretend to be trade.

I bought a 25l drum from a place online that asks no questions - you just tick a box saying "yep I'm trade, honest"

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought creosote had been banned because its main ingredient was carcinogenic with particular risk to workers applying it. I looked it up earlier this summer as i was feeling wistful for times past and realised that you nevet smell warm creosote on a hot summers day. Sigh.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
I thought creosote had been banned because its main ingredient was carcinogenic with particular risk to workers applying it. I looked it up earlier this summer as i was feeling wistful for times past and realised that you nevet smell warm creosote on a hot summers day. Sigh.

Yup. The "creosote substitute", being I think a mixture of fuel oils (diesel) and bitumen (a coating, not a great preservative like creosote) is also carcinogenic, but less so, and more temporarily so.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:24 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same applies with garden chemicals and fireworks. Watered down and weakened. Farmers still use the good strong Roundup on fields to ripen them - yes they spray weed killer onto cereal crops to ripen them and we wonder where cancers come from..

Chinese soap? Send some over because it'll likely work. (starts hunting through AliExpress)

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:49 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
The same applies with garden chemicals and fireworks. Watered down and weakened. Farmers still use the good strong Roundup on fields to ripen them - yes they spray weed killer onto cereal crops to ripen them and we wonder where cancers come from..

Chinese soap? Send some over because it'll likely work. (starts hunting through AliExpress)

All the science says that glyphosate is safe and not carcinogenic.There was an American court case that said a man may have got cancer from 40 years of daily exposure, but it was an American lay jury that decided, no science to back it up. They probably educated themselves by looking at conspiracy websites rather than scientific papers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinaboy wrote:
here in China... I use pussy Dove if i can find it. Smile

It's getting too much when they have soap for specific body parts.... Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 273 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1