Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

600cc budget friendly, London ULEZ-compliant

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

czakal
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:37 - 22 Jul 2019    Post subject: 600cc budget friendly, London ULEZ-compliant Reply with quote

Hello people,
I'm about to move out of London finally and I will have some need for a bigger bike for occasional trips into London. Seeing that insurance rates are often rather cheap for bikes around 600cc and the choice in that size class is quite large, I'm looking for that type. However most of the cheaper ones are quite old and not ULEZ compliant which wouldn't do for trips into London, which excludes anything registered before around June 2007. So far the three bikes that meet all my criteria are the FZ6, CBF600 and SV6 (possibly the Hyosung GT650), models produced on or after 2007. Did I miss any other good choices if I prefer naked (street) bikes?

S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:46 - 22 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've turned to an FZ6 S2, and I've certainly seen quite a few around town lately.

There's always the Yamaha XJ6 from 2009, they usually go pretty cheap.
Maybe a Bandit 650, though I've rather an SV650 TBH.
A GSX650F is a popular choice too, but fully faired so maybe not your cuppa tea.
A Honda Hornet CB600 '07-'13 model would probably be more fun than a CBF600.
There's Kwak ER6's two a penny, not too bad a budget bike either naked of faired F model.
Otherwise you find an old Street Triple 675 for reasonable money, and ok on insurance if you won't actually be living at a London postcode anymore...

There's also quite a few older models which, if you grab a Certificate of Conformity will be exempt from the ULEZ. Certainly many older CBF's from the 2000's are. A bit more faff, but be a route to bargain bike.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

czakal
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:04 - 23 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, very useful tips

S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 23 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends what you mean by moved out of London.
If it involves fast A roads or motorway then you've just about defined the list, but if it's still inside the M25 then an ADV or SM may be a better option, or even a 250-400 because you'll rarely get above 50mph anyway. Then have something else pre-07 for non-commute fun.
Assuming it is properly outside and does require a bit of motorway then I'd go for whichever one of the ones you've named that comes up cheapest. They're all decent bikes.
Obviously all IMO.

czakal
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:25 - 24 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean somewhere like Luton so a bit of motorway riding involved.

S

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:10 - 24 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NC700 or 750 perhaps.

czakal
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:15 - 25 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't compared yet but I have a feeling that once you get to 700cc/above insurance rates might start rising? The rates for 600cc bikes may be the lowest (less than 125s at times).

S

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:24 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

czakal wrote:
I haven't compared yet but I have a feeling that once you get to 700cc/above insurance rates might start rising? The rates for 600cc bikes may be the lowest (less than 125s at times).

S

A 1000 costs me less than a 600.

You can't go based off cc

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:38 - 26 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get the biggest heap of shit I could find so nobody nabs it off you. Supermotos and Street Triples in London, no thanks.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:06 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How often are you actually going to be riding into London though? It may work out better on paper to pick up a non compliant bike for a song from a daily commuter, then just swallow the 12 quid occasionally
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 272 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1