DAS advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

annemarie
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:30 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: DAS advice Reply with quote

Hello!

I have just done a CBT on a geared bike and have passed theory test, looking to get further training asap and get a full licence. My school is really good but they said they could only book MOD 1 and 2 tests for October now. It's end of July and I'm just wondering if it's worth to call other schools?
How come other places offer 1 week courses to full licence including the tests while other schools 'struggle' to book and the waiting time is 2 months Shocked

I am based in the countryside in Somerset so I dont get a big choice of schools either...

Just so you understand my frustration and why I'm in such a rush, I am currently riding a 125cc automatic and didn't really want to spend the hard saved money for a big bike on a 125 geared just to sell it afterwards. I thought I would get a full licence and get a proper bike as I can't stand the automatic 125.

Any thoughts appreciated and if anyone knows a good place in Somerset/Bath/Bristol area to recommend...

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Training schools buy test slots from DVSA in advance and in what is meant to be summer its not uncommon to have to wait that long as everyone favours the dry weather to learn to ride whereas in winter waiting times can be realtivly short, but there's no guarantee.

You can call another school all you want but remember they've not seen you ride before so might want you to start again and or take more training than the current school would recommend so the fastest route isn't always the cheapest.

You can book your own test but you'd need a friend that will pillion you to the test using their bike and let you ride it around for that, and then you'd probably need proof of insurance etc so that's a pain in the arse.

As for short courses they're a gamble. Sure the price looks great but if you fail the Module one, for example, then that's all the money you put into the rest of the license down the pot with no way of recouping it. Far better to pay as you go than take the gamble.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:11 - 29 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye as mentioned above.
Sounds like you're incredibly focused on getting this sorted and I understand your frustration - especially since you already know where you want to go with it all.
Deep breaths and that. Your slot will come soon enough. In the mean time it'll give you a little free time to practice and learn more and perhaps enjoy what's left of our summer.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:36 - 29 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD pretty much nailed it.

As it stands my school is fully booked now until the end of August and tests are rarer than rocking horse shit.

Bit of advice though, I'd forget about the "such a rush" part as it'll put pressure on you and I would recommend a school that would do mod 1 and mod 2 a week apart. Mod 2 is £75 and doing both on the same day means if you do mess up mod 1 you will not be able to do mod 2. This means you will lose the £75 fee for the test and will have to repay to sit the test which will not only include the test fee but the instructor and bike hire will go with it too. You'll end up paying at least double the mod 1 fee to retake it. Placing them both a week apart means should you fail mod 1 the school can move your mod 2 without any extra cost to you or the school apart from the mod 1 resit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

annemarie
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:55 - 29 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted another place and they have some earlier days available, but not that much earlier, and the MOD1 is 3 days before MOD 2 so that's quite risky to pay for the whole thing in one go and then not pass.

I think I'll just work on my patience and stick to my school especially that they know me and where I am with training, I know they are nice people etc

Might reconsider and buy a geared 125 for the time being to practice and get off the automatic (!!!!!). Nothing fancy, an used Japanese would probably be ok?

The frustration also comes from not being treated as a human being or a tax paying road user, so just want to get to a full licence before I loose faith in humanity completely or end up on moto madness... Laughing

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:23 - 29 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

annemarie wrote:

The frustration also comes from not being treated as a human being or a tax paying road user, so just want to get to a full licence before I loose faith in humanity completely or end up on moto madness... Laughing

God this is so true, I've gone from being cycle commuter scum riding into Birmingham city centre to a Scooter thug, I'm not sure which is worse. I need to swap to a geared bike ASAP.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

baritone
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:39 - 30 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just switched schools in West London in order to get a Mod 2 sooner. My original school (v small) could only offer a Mod 2 at the end of August, and the other I contacted (much bigger) offered me Mod 2 this Thursday. As I want to get my licence whilst I'm still young (ish) I opted for the latter. as was mentioned, it's a function of the number of bikes and instructors - and time of year. The bigger the school, the more slots they book.

On another note - I think you need 10 days between tests.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:10 - 30 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

baritone wrote:
On another note - I think you need 10 days between tests.

You have to wait a minimum of 10 working days (i.e. 2 weeks) if you fail a test before the next attempt. You can book Mod 1 & Mod 2 back to back if you like. No pressure!

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:20 - 30 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

baritone wrote:
As I want to get my licence whilst I'm still young (ish)

You need to be over 24 to be eligible to Do DAS. You have been old enough to ride a motorbike for at least 7 years, and for at least part of that, you could have taken motorbike tests under pre-3DL tiered licence rules and been on a bike of any size and power for most them 7 years.

So Why the rush:

Hasn' t bothered you till now?

And Rushin' be fast way to hurt on two wheels....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

baritone
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:15 - 30 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
baritone wrote:
As I want to get my licence whilst I'm still young (ish)

So Why the rush:

Hasn' t bothered you till now?

And Rushin' be fast way to hurt on two wheels....

I'm 50, Tef - so no rush as such, more a sober desire not to wait two months between my Mod 1 (passed in early July) and Mod 2, when a one month wait is available.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:10 - 30 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 week lead time on Mod 2 for my school/area IIRC (Uxbridge test centre.)

annemarie
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:08 - 30 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:

God this is so true, I've gone from being cycle commuter scum riding into Birmingham city centre to a Scooter thug, I'm not sure which is worse. I need to swap to a geared bike ASAP.

For me having zero road experience the automatic was the easiest way to start riding (if you can call it riding...).
From hyperventilating because a car is too close behind me on a 30 road to going on national speed limit roads and scooter-cruising at 55 comfortably, passing through Bristol centre every day - I think that's a long way to go, I don't deserve to be treated like a piece of shit just cause I don't shift, yet. And the only recognition from other bikers - when walking towards or away from it, when they don't know which one is mine... Laughing

Also, I've got confirmations for the test dates for October, so that's set in stone, will use the next 2 months to practice on geared 125 and be ready for a bigger bike! Also going to view a bike on Thursday and hopefully buy it.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 30 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to wait 10 working days if you fail mod 1, it's 3.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 19:39 - 30 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

baritone wrote:
I'm 50, Tef - so no rush as such, more a sober desire not to wait two months between my Mod 1 (passed in early July) and Mod 2, when a one month wait is available.

Ah, I see. I'm 48 & 3/4; So the rush is...
baritone wrote:
I want to get my licence whilst I'm still young (ish) ahead of alziemers

You know... it may already be too late... lol!

But still, a little more seriosely, back in the early '90's whan they first introduced the 'Persuit Test' with examiner following you in a car or on another bike; the licence itself had a 2 year validity; if you didn't pass a driving test before it expired you were 'banned' from holding provisional M/C entitlement for a year, BUT just to make life interesting, to get a test date you had to fill in a paper form at the post office, in black ink, in block capitols, and wait maybe 6 weeks for them to send you back a post card with a test date, that could be anything up to or over a YEAR away... in fact due to the shortage of 'persuit' qualified examiners, wait at some test centers was often longer than candidates provisional licence entitement! Meanwhile, you also had to include your 'Part 1' test pass certificate, the precursor to a CBT or MOD 1, and issued by a bike school not the DSA, and getting one of them was a stare secret! Without it, your form would be returned to you with your postal-order, and you would be left hiking around the district trying to find some-one who even knew what the heck a Part 1 test WAS, let alone signed the pass cert!

Chap in the local bike shop, (usually in brown overalls and shop-coat looking like a Ronnie Barker, open-all-hours, under-study!) would tend to ask things like "What part? Does it go in the engine or on the frame?" And when local mechanic finally helped put and told you his oppo 'Bryan' did them in Wolworths car-park on a Sunday mormning, you'd go to Woolies on a Sunday morning and find Byan noteable by his absence, cos he only turned up if it wasn't raining or he'd not had a skinful the night before, or there wasn't a race meet at Mallory or where-ever that Sunday!

Count blessings mate... a one or two month 'wait' maybe anoying in our modrn 'push button; on demand;' wired world, but its NOTHING in real terms or anything compared to what the wait and plain hassle used to be in the days of envelopes and stamps......

annemarie wrote:
Prawny wrote:

I don't deserve to be treated like a piece of shit just cause I don't shift, yet.

See advice on webby; cars DO follow to close, this is NOT 'cos of your L-Plate, though that wont help, they do it to every-one, even bludy great 4x4's, buses and trucks, let slone motorcyles they can barely see to start with....

First relax, and get used to it, they 'look' closer than they are in the mirrors anyway, ans as said, they do it to every-one; if you cant deal with it, that YOUR problem, not the bike, or the L-Plate... you have to get used to Audi Proctologists, and learn NOT to either hyperventilat OR fixate on them, but 'compensate', and ride your own road, at your own pace...

sure scooters with the weight at the back, and on the swing-arm, and with a rubber-band transmission, are NOT the most stable of bikes.... in factr, old joke, Vespa means 'Wasp' in Italian and chap who designed it was an aeronautical engineer where it was a joke that aeronautically a bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, its winspan is to short for its body-weight; only reasom it can? No one has told the bee that!!!

And chap loathed motorbikes with a passion, so legend says, given the job to design one when war reporations meant he couldn't design a fast jet fighter... he decided to make something SO daft that broke so many rules 'managememt' would scrap the idea and put him on a project to design something more glamourouse, like a tractor.. so started by saying, in Italian, "Ah Yez, Stability... need dee big wheelz.. so what is the SMALLEST lidduw tyres Eye can get?" and woeked from there, offsetting the wheels from the center line by an inch or spo just as a pies-de-resistamce!!!

BUT, point is, you hope that the problem will be solved for you nu anmother kind of bike and/or geyyoing the licence.. well licence is no bad start, but if you cant hack it, you cant hack it; ots not the bike that's the 'real' problem here.. itys your expectations.. and following traffic like toi p,lay proctologist, regardless, get used to it, or get off the two-wheels.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 30 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
You don't need to wait 10 working days if you fail mod 1, it's 3.

Ah! Just the Mod 2 then.

RedBull600
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:52 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me 3 attempts to pass my "Big Bike" test. You just have to be patient and accept the process as it is. Btw my second test was abandoned because the examiners radio went on the fritz so really I passed second time Very Happy

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:45 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure i can add a lot to this discussion except.....

...buying a geared 125 for a short term may not be too bad financially. I bought a 17 plate cb125f, practiced for a few months. Once I sold it I ended up losing about a hundred quid (excluding insurance and tax).

The experience and practice was well worth the loss as I passed both parts first time with only one day tuition before. That equalled a much larger saving in my eyes. And the process was quicker.

I understand your frustration, I was gutted having to wait 8 days between MOD1 and MOD2 .

Be patient as I seems you have no choice and good luck.

annemarie
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:50 - 31 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, good to hear from someone who went through similar steps.

When I count it for every training day on rented 125 I would need to pay £150 so buying a used 125, practicing on it for 2 months and selling it even for a bit less still seems like a win. Especially that we both ride so my partner can help. I also got a bigger bike already waiting for me so if he is on the insurance we can practice on the 750cc as well which should help with the big bike training, even if i cant use it for the test... Wouldn't touch the 1800 he got tho Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 263 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1