Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike security out and about

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

jdwhittaker
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:09 - 03 Aug 2019    Post subject: Bike security out and about Reply with quote

Ive got a substantial disc lock, ground anchor and hefty chain on the bike whilst its tucked away in the garage but all of these devices are far too chunky to take with me.

What do people tend to use if you're locking your bike up whilst you go into the shop, on a day out etc. Just smaller more portable chain and disc lock?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 03 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends entirely where I'm parking. If it's out of the way, work etc then usually just a small disclock, but have 2 disclocks and a cablelock if needed, say in town (bike parking is near where the scrotes like to congregate), or a place with a reputation.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 11:49 - 03 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Disk-Lock is two-parts that have pins to slot them together beflore they lock; So I have a heft garage 'security-cable' which rolls up fairly small, and I thread the eyes on the end over the pins, so that the disk-lock is effectively also pad-lockl for the cable, that's long enough to thread round a lamp-post or similar when out and about.

Its not exactly the hardest security about, BUT, it is 'some' and cable does mean that the bike can be tied down against a wheel-away, wont stop determined t-leaf tooled up with CO2 or lith-ion angry-grinder, but t'll slow down or make them look else-where, a school-kid with a nail-file.

And that's the point; you will NOT stop-em, so its a case of picking 'something' portable that you can and will use, to slow-em doen or make them look else-where. It's the art of compromise. You7 have to make one... just r4emember that 'something' is better than 'nothing' so dont discount even the cheesiest of pound-shop push-bike locks.... IF you can carry it and IF you will use it, it'll do something more than nothing!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jdwhittaker
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:57 - 03 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point about getting something that you will definitely use rather than something beefy that you might not be arsed to take everywhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:09 - 03 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Park next to something more desirable to thieves than your bike. Thumbs Up

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:56 - 03 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Park next to something more desirable to thieves than your bike. Thumbs Up

Trouble is, that scroats dont have any taste... what's mosr desirable to them is anything they can av away with! So even if you ride, ooo, a 1/4 century old commuter dawg, or a thirty year old 125 Super-Dream with no carby-rettors (Seriously!) they will av a go if they can!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:52 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My nice bike is clearly marked ‘Data-Tag’ and ‘Spyball’ immobiliser/alarm.
Plus I use a disc lock.
However I still expect scumbags to steal it if I leave it unattended.
There’s nowhere to carry a heavy chain on my bike without damaging it.
On my 250 (RX3) Chinese POS , I have panniers and a top box, so I am able to carry a heavy chain and lock the bike to a post or something heavy.

Ironically the crappy bike would be harder to steal Sad

Park it where you can see it, or buy a cheap dirty crappy ugly bike that nobody wants Thumbs Up

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry a cheapish, light, cable lock when out, and a smallish disclock.
As I understand, a cable type resists bolt cutters much better than a chain as it squishes and spreads rather than breaking. Neither type will resist an angle grinder for long. Cable is much lighter and flexible than a chain, so much longer for the same weight, easier to use more of the time and so you are more likely to carry it and find a way to use it at any given stop.
I like to have 2 things for the scum to get through, and one of them able to make simply lifting the bike into a van more difficult... you won't stop someone determined anyway, you can just put off the passing git.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:51 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

not a lock but if can't afford the layout for a full on alarm system you could get one of those tiny flashing red or blue lights somewhere on the dash or on the rear end of the bike which will put people off, when i park up at work there are a few of us with alarm systems so you see the red blinking light, im sure it would put off a thief even if just a flashing light as most thieves are thick and would just assume it is alarmed and has a tracker, obviously your professional thief wont care and will take it and put it to the side somewhere to see if someone turns up to follow the tracker.

i always carry an abus granit disc lock with me though
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 258 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1