Aprilia RS125 carb issues?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Danonymoose
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:34 - 06 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
The reason you're getting lots of tricky questions is because its an RS125. People cock around with them, so there could be a bigger underlying problem.

If the bike is in otherwise good and standard-ish condition, then the only change required should be setting up the fuelling to match the new pipe. A bigger carb is not necessary to make it run right, but may (or may not) be required to get maximum power.

What is necessary is getting the carb set up to match the pipe. Sometimes the pipe comes with recommended carb settings, sometimes you can find it in forums. Either way, if you've gone up from 120 to 145 on the main jet, you should raise the needle height at least one position as well. The needle is really controlling the fuelling between one quarter and three quarters throttle opening.

Of course, it's an RS125, so someone could have messed with it. Common things include messing with the oil pump, disconnecting the autolube entirely and running pre-mix, and poorly done top end rebuilds.

So you want to do a compression check (on wide open throttle), and really make sure that the oiling is working properly. If it is blocked off, disconnected, or has air in the lines, problem.

Finally, if the trouble started just after filling up with petrol, that's a sign that it was running on pre-mix before and you've just trashed your engine.

The autolube system is working fine. I was considering going pre-mix when I bought the bike, but after reading online about people not generally having issues with the autolube system, and seeing that is was working on my bike, I decided to leave it as is. A compression check shows 120PSI on wide open throttle, and that's been checked with 2 compression testers, so it should be reasonably accurate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:01 - 06 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So 120psi is the lowest 'good' point. Between 120 and 150 is generally accepted as being good nick.

Mine showed 110psi, when it got rebuilt it was 150psi.

Can you revert back to the original pipe and double check that autolube... it can fail and if it wasn't primed then oops.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 264 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2