Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Raspberry Pi4 B

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:15 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Raspberry Pi4 B Reply with quote

Anyone? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXCjpJasvG0 Thumbs Up

Now with up to 4GB of RAM and gigabit ethernet, 4K60Hz H.265 playback.... Shocked

EDIT: Raspberry Pi 4 specs
SoC: Broadcom BCM2711B0 quad-core A72 (ARMv8-A) 64-bit @ 1.5GHz
GPU: Broadcom VideoCore VI
Networking: 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz 802.11b/g/n/ac wireless LAN
RAM: 1GB, 2GB, or 4GB LPDDR4 SDRAM
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0, Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
GPIO: 40-pin GPIO header, populated
Storage: microSD
Ports: 2 × micro-HDMI 2.0, 3.5 mm analogue audio-video jack, 2 × USB 2.0, 2 × USB 3.0, Gigabit Ethernet, Camera Serial Interface (CSI), Display Serial Interface (DSI)
Dimensions: 88 mm × 58 mm × 19.5 mm, 46 g

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 18:55 - 24 Jun 2019; edited 1 time in total

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:23 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth a bit of investment! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:02 - 03 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd wish they'd come out with a few more "official" LCD panels for it. The 7" one is excellent but 10" and >12" would be handy, especially as touch screens.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 03 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one running openmediavault as a NAS.
It wasn't really viable on the Pi 3, but now with gigabit ethernet and usb3 it actually does a decent job.

I bought the 4gb version which is overkill, it's never been over 800mb ram use or 10% CPU load.

It does run a lot hotter than the 3, but there's supposed to be some new firmware that fixes it.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:34 - 03 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4GB RAM version is out of stock in my country. I don't have the time to fiddle with it at this point anyway.

By the way, I did expect the Pi 4 to run hotter. The USB 3.0 controller is connected to the SoC via PCIe, of some sorts, which does burn a bit more electricity than the previous USB 2.0 controller solution. I didn't however expect the Pi 4 to thermal throttle as much as people report it does.

I might gonna wait for the rev. 2 version.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:46 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I just got my Pi4 and I'm quite impressed so far. Just plain out of the box experience, it is much smoother and nicer to use than the Pi3. The extra RAM helps with dosbox and other applications, the increased heat output is noticeable, but so far not limiting, not for what I do with it at least. I use the standard ''tall'' heatsink with no fans attached.

I got the 4 GB version, but I guess the 2 GB version would also suffice, for what I use the Pi for. By the way, USB 3.0 and Gigabit Ethernet is a very noticeable improvement. Migrating data to and from the device is much faster now. The 3.5mm jack is also made better this time, with no interference, using it for audio out.

Right now, I'm testing everything I used to do with the Pi3 just to see how faster stuff runs on the Pi4. So far I can tell many DOSBOX games run much better and are actually playable.

EDIT: I couldn't wait for the rev. 2 version. Laughing
EDIT II: Make sure you get the official AC/DC adaptor, the USB-C power port does not like some of the available USB-C (phone) chargers. I bought the Pi4 set with said adaptor which connects via a micro USB to USB-C reduction. So I guess if you want to use your own PSU, I would recommend using a micro USB one with said reduction.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:33 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first version had a flaw in the USB-C setup, missing "config" resistor IIRC.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

rPi thermal throttles, same on pi3. Add a heatsink and fan if you want to use it as a NAS Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:16 - 06 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pi4 does run hotter than the Pi3. I have never seen the Pi3 thermal throttle, unless I really wanted to see it throttle (synthetic benchmarks, high ambient temperature). I might gonna get a bigger heatsink for the Pi4, but at the same time I refuse to fit a fan to it. One of the reasons I enjoy single board computers is their noise less operation and no fans means no ''forced'' dust accumulation = plug in and forget.

However, the VLC player does run much better on the Pi4, with no lag, nor tearing playing whatever 1080p file (didn't check 4K yet). 4K video output is possible, however only in 30 Hz using the HDMI supplied by the ''Raspberry'' company.

Also, I can't allocate more than 512mb of VRAM, anything above that and the Pi4 won't boot. Thinking
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 236 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1