Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Google Timeline

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:01 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Google Timeline Reply with quote

All rather surprising, not only does google know I went to the dentist on 25th July - and named the address correctly - they know I went on the bike. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:06 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was quite stunned when google asked me what I was doing between certain times as it hadn't got my 'position'. The rest of the day was perfectly mapped, even to the fact I took the boat out for an hour to get fuel.

I need to make sure wifey can't see it though, if she knew how many times I visit the Red Lion she'd have a hissy fit. Laughing

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: Google Timeline Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
they know I went on the bike. Shocked

I've noticed the same thing. I wondered if it was due to filtering, therefore moving faster than the other vehicles on that particular route at that time.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:48 - 06 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume that this 'service' is automatically activated because I have no recollection of being asked to turn it on.

Does this mean plod/MI5/GCHQ can track you via your phone?

Of course it dose PB, you naive stupid old Hector Rolling Eyes

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:01 - 06 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I presume that this 'service' is automatically activated because I have no recollection of being asked to turn it on.

Of course you don't, nobody ever recalls. But when you first fire up that shiny new pocket black mirror, it always asks you. Always.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:06 - 06 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no issue with it tracking me, it'll bail me out when I get accused of murder yet I was somewhere in another county Laughing

Then again, meh, welcome to technology, go back to the dark ages of no computers if people don't wanna be tracked in the slightest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 06 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm largely ok with it, it just depends on how the data is used.

Insurance going up because google maps says you travel from A to B in 20min, which wouldn't have been possible if you did the speed limit or because you frequently travel late at night or whatever

We already have health insurance linked to activity trackers admittedly those are to incentivize you to be more healthy.

But what if they decided penalize you be your location tracker showed you regularly frequented fast food places or bars.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 06 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want your location history kept, just turn it off, and delete you history.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:55 - 06 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
If you don't want your location history kept, just turn it off, and delete you history.

Oh sure. I don't particularly care too much. It's not like I've got a mistress or anything Crying or Very sad Wink

I do wonder if turning all those tracking things off stops the phone being tracked by big brother?

I somewhat doubt it.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:22 - 06 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: Google Timeline Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
All rather surprising, not only does google know I went to the dentist on 25th July - and named the address correctly - they know I went on the bike. Shocked

You are Winston Smith and I claim a reward for the Party.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:24 - 06 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's me making another thread over in Random Banter and you lot are already discussing it in Geeks Rolling Eyes Laughing

I'm quite happy with my little map, I never considered myself well travelled but the map says otherwise!

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/timeline.png

Doesn't really bother me all that much them having the data.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:05 - 06 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, mines pretty widespread currently! Laughing

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=102605
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 06 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
... Insurance going up because google maps says you travel from A to B in 20min, which wouldn't have been possible if you did the speed limit.....

Now would that be top speed or average speed between A and B?

My journey from work is 3.2 miles, has 13 traffic lights and flooring it every chance I get, I've still only done an average of 18mph (best), or 4mph (worst).

Anyway, my map is dull AF at the moment, so I'll update it when I get back in September Very Happy

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:03 - 06 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

On days when I leave my phone at home (mistakenly), I feel quite smug that I have fooled Google into believing I am behaving myself at home.

But I suspect it knows I am not.

On a tangential note ... I was doing an occasional Vauxhall-bridge commute, and as traffic was a bit slow I managed to take a longer-than-usual glance at the MI6 building, its an ugly fucker isn't it. The spiky turret looking thing at the top really does have a menacing aspect.

I noticed there was a crane out the front in the water, which I assume to be a dredging barge. I wonder how many bodies get dredged up from that spot ...

(and not because people jump off Vauxhall Bridge of their own accord) Shocked
More like because they're funnelled out of the building deep into the mud.

Funny the things you think about when you're doing an apparently mindless commute, innit.

#livelyimagination
Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:17 - 06 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Oh, mines pretty widespread currently! Laughing

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=102605

The bastarts have me in South West San Francisco. One location in N. America.

I haven't been in the states since 2010.

My concern.

What if this technology was used as evidence?

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:33 - 07 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disappointing for me. Loads of red dots all over the UK and a couple in Europe, some of which must have been recorded almost ten years ago. But it only shows one single dot for my travellings around china china china.

I know google is blocked over here, but I use a VPN and access google services from my phone almost daily. I guess something stopped working at some point.

jimspeed
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 07 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I find the map with locations visited? I have a timeline which shows each days travel (and spookily knows I was on motorbike rather than car) I'm probably being thick ...
Hyosung cruise 125(passed test on, sold) Kawasaki el 252 (better than expected but sold on) Kawasaki GPZ500S first "big"bike.(sold) ZZR600 E5..Z750 2007,ER5, currently on a 2008 Enfield bullet electra x and loving it..
,"Alpha-9: Is there any correlation between dyno rod and dyno kits?"
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 256 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1