BCF: Bike Chat Forums

smelly gear

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: smelly gear Reply with quote

recently washed (nikwax tech wash etc) my jacket, trousers and gloves, the latter taking about a week to dry out properly, and now they smell really really badly.

Any suggestions for getting rid of the stink and advice on future washing of them?

Ta

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:58 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My jeans say "Do not wash", so i have an excuse to smell Laughing , but dry cleaning might be the best option Thumbs Up

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:53 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: smelly gear Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
recently washed (nikwax tech wash etc) my jacket, trousers and gloves, the latter taking about a week to dry out properly, and now they smell really really badly.

Any suggestions for getting rid of the stink and advice on future washing of them?

Ta

Small of what? paraffin?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:15 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they took a,week to dry then you need to hoi them in a drier at a very low temp for a bit after they come out the washer.
What you can smell is mould and bacteria cultivating.

Same smell as inside a washing machine in a hard water area or when it has not been emptied soon after the cycle ends.

Put them back in the wash with the nikwax again.

Dry them on a rope outside when it's dry (if possible) or get down to a laundromat launder the and use their drier.
Zip up all the zips and close all the press studs.
And you took all the armour out. Didn't you. 🤣

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dettol laundry sanitizer in the wash, and Dettol All In One spray while they're drying. Kills bacteria and prevents it re-growing in the warm, damp environment you've created.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What MCN said.

That's how mine get cleaned - zero issue and come out dry and looking like new and NOT smelly.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:46 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Dettol laundry sanitizer in the wash, and Dettol All In One spray while they're drying. Kills bacteria and prevents it re-growing in the warm, damp environment you've created.

But but but..... what about the membrane?

I only use Nikwax as it sez it's for membranes.

Other detergents can be harmful (they say) but I haven't seen the evidence this is based on.

I don't wash this stuff much, the tech-wash is not too expensive if you wash wunst a year or twicst.

And I don't want to be the guinea pig for my own experiment. Embarassed

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:11 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spare freezer space and vacuum shortage bags. Kills smells.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:55 - 06 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I used to work in a camping shop, had reps from various brands come in give us the spiel on their various products. Nikwax being one of them.

From what they said about it:

Regular detergents dont "damage" membranes, but they clog up the pores that allow breathability resulting in you getting all soggy from sweat building up inside the jacket and can allow rain through the pores via capillary action along the clogged up bits. Nikwax has magic stuff in it that cleans without leaving any residue like that.

Whether its true or not I dont know. I use it on my outdoors kit every 6 months or so and it keeps it nice and clean and waterproof.

Sounds like you just didnt dry it properly if its smelling all manky now!

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 06 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

But but but..... what about the membrane?

I only use Nikwax as it sez it's for membranes.

Other detergents can be harmful (they say) but I haven't seen the evidence this is based on.

Fair point, as is Tierbirdy's, but as I understand it Nikwax deliberately leaves a residue on the fibres to repel water, whereas ordinary detergent and my laundry sanitizer do their cleaning job and are then mostly rinsed away. The Dettol aerosol is only lightly applied during the drying process and stops newly-landed bacteria getting a foothold.

The problem with gloves in particular is they are slow to dry.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:13 - 06 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Spare freezer space and vacuum shortage bags. Kills smells.

Ahh you skipped/plugged biology at secondary.

Freezing does not kill many bacteria or molds.

https://opsdiagnostics.com/notes/ranpri/aguidetobacteriapreservation.htm

It only really stunts division.

As soon as 'normal' conditions are restored then they will get it on with their chromosomes and mitochondria again.

They really respond to disinfectant which permeates the cell walls and interferes with things. Even damage to the cell walls is enough to keel the little cunts.

Mechanical removal works too. Soap and agitation clean off the living cells and spores.

Another great trick is to have a shower using a proprietary soap/shower gel everyday to remove the layer of bacteria sticking to your skin.
Sweating mobilises these wee bastarts and they are transported through your cloths. Repeated cycles will produce the rinky-dink in your gear.

The same trick works for those with fetid feet.

Wash your fucking feet properly you durty bastarts.
And use an anti-fungal/bacterial cream occasionally.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:27 - 06 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Fair point, as is Tierbirdy's, but as I understand it Nikwax deliberately leaves a residue on the fibres to repel water, whereas ordinary detergent and my laundry sanitizer do their cleaning job and are then mostly rinsed away. The Dettol aerosol is only lightly applied during the drying process and stops newly-landed bacteria getting a foothold.

Nikwax wash doesnt leave a residue, the Nikwax re-proofing stuff does leave/replenish a DWR durable water repellant coating. Which is getting into chemistry/physics way beyond me as to how that works but also maintains breathability.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 06 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for: If it took a week to dry it went mouldy, wash it again, dry it quicker.

Hang it out on a dry day and if necessary use a low heat setting on a hair dryer, or leave it in a room with a dehumidifier overnight while it's hung over a working radiator. Anything that is damp for a week is going to start going mouldy.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 06 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Nikwax wash doesnt leave a residue, the Nikwax re-proofing stuff does leave/replenish a DWR durable water repellant coating. Which is getting into chemistry/physics way beyond me as to how that works but also maintains breathability.

Beading.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:56 - 06 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Ahh you skipped/plugged biology at secondary.

Yes, science bores me. My gloves were manky as shit, bunged in a hot bath, stank, freezer and the smell went until a few weeks of wearing them again through summer. Worked for the short term. Could just like... ride in jeans and tshirts that get washed often Wink

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

With this thread, I thought Centerstand had come back for a minute.

Sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 256 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1