Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GS500E high idle issue

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

dan.porter15
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:44 - 11 Aug 2019    Post subject: GS500E high idle issue Reply with quote

Hi again all!

I've spent the past week doing a few bits and bobs with my bike, I've put new shims in for valve clearances, sorted out some electrical issues, oil and filter change (which became a difficult task if you see my last post Razz) and fully taken the carbs apart and cleaned.

Put the bike back together and started her up. Started first time with no issues, but it immediately revved up to 6k and sat there.

Twisting the idle knob didn't seem to dip or raise the RPMs, I've checked to see if the choke cable/throttle cable is snagging and it doesn't seem to be.

I think it might be to do with the carburetor floats, no idea if I've set them wrong, I just put them back in the way I took them out.

Does this sound like a carburetor issue? Would anything I've done when doing valve clearances cause this?

Probably worth mentioning that the reason I did the work is because my bike seemed to loose power when riding it at higher revs. One of the jets on the carbs were completely blocked, so hoped this would have fixed it.

Hopefully I'll get this sorted today, don't want to be sat at traffic lights on my commute to work tomorrow idling at an obnoxious 6k Very Happy Cheers!

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 11 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: GS500E high idle issue Reply with quote

dan.porter15 wrote:
Does this sound like a carburetor issue?

Yes. There are a few things you could check, and you'll probably nail it pretty quickly. Check that the throttle isn't being held open - turn off the engine and check (visually) that the butterflies are closing when you release the throttle. I know you said the throttle cable isn't sticking, but look again anyway - cable might be fine but the carb-side return spring might not be returning all the way down to the idle screw (if that spring's filthy, this could happen). Unwind the idle screw all the way out and check that the little hammer goes back with it when you do so. Check for vacuum leaks: make sure your carbs are pushed all the way onto your rubbers, and that the airbox is secure.

dan.porter15
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:22 - 11 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for your response, you were right, looks like the throttle was being held open. Adjusted the bolt that holds the cable and double checked the idle screw was all OK and we're good to go, my bike's back on the road!

Thanks for your help!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 259 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1