Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Frame snapped.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:58 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Frame snapped. Reply with quote

Do I get a badge or something? Is this the cycling equivalent of the piston broke club?

https://i.postimg.cc/C1K0fcTf/20190812-180700.jpg

Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:02 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking of buying a single speed

https://www.mangobikes.com/shop/bikes/single-speed-level2/single-speed-level2-the-gus/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:07 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if you get extra points for snapping a steelie. Anyone could snap alloy...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/SRsUp201bHL5yQXyAcdUyiO3S5pcFP7glBlmS61TkIqTa4rMNtzNr_EuhQbPtC5vL3fgqFy1Tsyo7ys6EAKIl_XkiT8Xz9A8y5HffjKOyJGr6b5eQ29ggrvxvWHhcBAkKE76vh_NZA=w1163-h872-no

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:17 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

You could probably transplant the vast majority of the parts off your current bike onto a second hand frame and convert it to single speed for well under £100.

I'd want mudguards on the one you posted and you won't fit conventional ones under the callipers.

I'm actually building a single speed bike today after work. Well, getting the drivetrain in and chainline checked. Probably treat it to a new bottom bracket anyway even if the line is bang on perfect.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:03 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap frames.

Could have killed you.

Look for double butted.

https://www.bikeexchange.co.uk/blog/bike-frame-materials-explained

In the meantime. Fire some duct tape around it. Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:59 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Cheap frames.

Could have killed you.

Look for double butted.

Meh. My broken one was 46 years old so I suspect straight-up metal fatigue.

My "new" one is 531 tubing. Not double butted though. Steel FTW.

@thx1138. I'm pretty enthusiastic about single speed/fixie builds and I've done a few so if you decide to do one of your own, I'm happy to help with hints and tips...

I'll just leave this here.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRHOZPHSS/holdsworth-zephyr-frameset

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:57 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
MCN wrote:
Cheap frames.

Could have killed you.

Look for double butted.

Meh. My broken one was 46 years old so I suspect straight-up metal fatigue.

My "new" one is 531 tubing. Not double butted though. Steel FTW.

@thx1138. I'm pretty enthusiastic about single speed/fixie builds and I've done a few so if you decide to do one of your own, I'm happy to help with hints and tips...

I'll just leave this here.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRHOZPHSS/holdsworth-zephyr-frameset

I wonder how many people ride a bicycle and have no care as to how it is made or what a bicycle is 'really'?

The thing that always makes me a bit nauseous is when I see someone peddling along with the insteps of their feet. Blooorg. Sick

This shit will NEVER be old.

https://archive.org/details/richardsbicycleb00rich

More Filthy Frame Pron

https://www.reynoldstechnology.biz/

Reynolds re-thunk frame building.

First time I saw a Titanium frame bike for sale in Dales of Glasgow. It was about £2000+ 1990s prices. I thought, 'Who needs a frame that costs that much?' Then I looked more closely at racing bike frames. Cool

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:44 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dab of JB Weld will sort that right out Smile

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standards are slipping.
No mention of duct tape.

Edit, oops.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 16 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced it with a Trek Dual Sport 2.

Still thinking of buying a fixie.or hacing a go at making one.

Will dismantle broken bike over the coming week, will have to borrow a tool to remove the doo-dah "bottom bracket?"

cos apparanetly I'm a dinosaur for wondering why there are not cotter pins to be knocked out

Realistically, I'll probably just end up putting all the good bits in the shed, and reusing the wheels and cables, eventually.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:41 - 16 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are various types of bottom bracket/crank after cotter pins.

Cheapest/most basic is the square taper (so square hole in the end of the crank). Then there is a slightly more high-tech octolink which has a splined taper (and splined hole).

More modern ones have threadless "hollowtec" bottom brackets. You can see all the way through the middle of these.

Assuming it's a square taper, you'll need a pulling tool to remove the cranks from the bottom bracket then a special splined tool to remove the BB itself.

That said, I don't bother my arse re-using bottom brackets these days unless they are high end ones. They are invariably a ball-ache to remove and do you want to fit a worn one? If it's not coming undone, remember one side is a reverse thread. Also bolt the tool to the bottom bracket using a large repair washer then get a socket and breaker bar on it. I've seen me have to resort to adding 3ft of scaffolding tube on the end to loosen one.

Also, if you're making a single speed/fixie, you invariably need to swap out the BB for one that's a different length to get the chain line correct. I usually keep hold of an old one of a known length, fit that, see how far out it is and order the correct one.

So the build I'm doing now had a 112mm bottom bracket fitted. The chainline (the offset between the front and rear cogs) is 5mm out with the drivetrain componants I'm using (this is a long way out). I just ordered a 103mm bottom bracket for it which should bring it to within 0.5mm.

If you want to find out anything about bicycle mechanics in extreme detail, do a google search for the thing and add the words "Sheldon Brown". He has written articles on everything. There is a lot of stuff about single speed and fixies there too.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 17:30 - 16 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Assuming it's a square taper, you'll need a pulling tool to remove the cranks from the bottom bracket then a special splined tool to remove the BB itself.

Cant see the bike but probably got a GPX BB.

With regards to re-using them, don't. You do a hell of a lot of miles and the current one, unless fitted within the last few weeks, is probably past its best. BB's are a consumable item that need fairly regular replacement depending on how much/what conditions you ride in etc.

Regards your other components, either get another frame and put them on that or sell them. This from someone who has multiple frames, wheel-sets and components everywhere!
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 19 days between these two posts...

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 03 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

Will dismantle broken bike over the coming week, will have to borrow a tool to remove the doo-dah "bottom bracket?"

cos apparanetly I'm a dinosaur for wondering why there are not cotter pins to be knocked out

Realistically, I'll probably just end up putting all the good bits in the shed, and reusing the wheels and cables, eventually.

One year, 19 days later, and I've cracked the back wheel on the replacement bike, hasn't even done 10,000 miles yet Confused Took it back to the LBS to see about getting a free replacement under warranty.

v4fun
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:02 - 24 Feb 2021    Post subject: Re: Frame snapped. Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Do I get a badge or something? Is this the cycling equivalent of the piston broke club?

https://i.postimg.cc/C1K0fcTf/20190812-180700.jpg

Shocked

It'll buff out. Very Happy

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
thx1138 wrote:

One year, 19 days later, and I've cracked the back wheel on the replacement bike, hasn't even done 10,000 miles yet Confused Took it back to the LBS to see about getting a free replacement under warranty.

And,,, another free wheel. Not evening couriering on it.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 09 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

..just spotted the Bedford 'Riverside Square' Pic. ever visit the St Pauls square on a Sunday for a m'bike mooch about?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 09 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
..just spotted the Bedford 'Riverside Square' Pic. ever visit the St Pauls square on a Sunday for a m'bike mooch about?

yeah occasionally, I only live 1/2 mile from there

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
A100man wrote:

yeah occasionally, I only live 1/2 mile from there

Thumbs Up I'm up near the Clapham Road Sainsbury's..

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

enjoy your roadworks then Laughing

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
A100man wrote:

enjoy your roadworks then Laughing

Quite. Although I'm mostly by push-bike and heading away from them.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 196 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1