BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Gloves

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Gloves Reply with quote

Any recommendations for gloves to wear when working on the bike/car, I find normal latex (clear/cream colour) ones rip easily.

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the elasticated cloth backed but rubbery front type ones and find them a lot better than the latex ones, which i hardly use at all now. Maybe for washing and that's about it.

Not sure how much they cost as a friend works at [insert large car manufacturer here] and grabs me a handful whenever he can, but they're much better and last longer, so i'd buy them if i had to. Still have a decent amount of feel with them too.

Not these specific ones, but this type;

https://www.uksafetystore.com/warrior-black-palm-gloves.html

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:11 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that! I never remember to put them on though so buy some Swarfega too Laughing

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not personally a fan of those elastic/pu combo gloves - I do wear them for MOT testing, but only because they're properly reusable, but they wouldn't offer me enough feel for actual spannering and liquids soak through the backs, plus they deteriorate over time and lose a lot of flexibility.

My preference is for nitrile over weaker latex, I usually use black, but one of my boys swears by the extra tough orange (a la Ed China) and, to be fair, he uses less gloves than the rest of us, often only one pair a day, so he's getting VfM for the extra he spends per box.

Pro tips: latex gloves deteriorate in the box, so if you aren't using them all the time, the longer you have them, the more brittle they become - I've got a box at home that's been there for a year and I can't put them on without ripping them now.

Also, buy a size larger than you normally need, the tighter they fit, the more prone they are to tearing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones linked above are generic and can be gotten just about anywhere but the problem I found is that when it comes to lubricating things they prove pointless because, for example, copper grease is a pain in the arse so moved to disposable ones instead. I'd pay £1 for them at my local tool shop so don't over pay.

Non-powered latex gloves are ideal but cost me £4.99 for 100 pairs (again at local tool shop).

Powered gloves are the cheaper option with 100 pairs costing £2.99 (local tool shop again).

When I worked on bikes in a "professional" dealership I used, and loved, these: https://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-extreme-performance-gloves-grey-large/6064f

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powder free nitrile gloves - they're resistant to most workshop solvents, greases and oils including petrol and are reasonably tough. Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:05 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black nitrile gloves designed for dairy farmers to wear while milking are the toughest disposables I've found.

someone
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:21 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use cotton work gloves over latex gloves , cotton keep the latex from cutting and latex keep my hands clean .
i dont even have to wash my hands after i finish .

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I think in the past I've been using Latex which as pointed out deteriorate (no good for the home mechanic who tries not to have to do work on bikes/cards).

I have had a pair similar to the reusable ones, I lacked feel but got by, then they got covered in oil and went in the bin. I may re-visit these as they are cheap enough and ok for most jobs.

Sounds like Nitrile are the ones to have in the garage for most occasions though.

I'll stock up whilst waiting for my parts to be returned.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for nitrile, I just use the blue ones which are cheap from Screwfix and they work just fine. Obviously if you snag yourself on something sharp, they'll probably rip, but I take that as a reminder that I should be more careful. Wink

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:53 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snap-Off sell a good glove. Seems to last longer than a lot of the other shite. Appears expensive but they are a good glove.

Not too bad for the tactile stuff but you will get used to wearing gloves as you wear them.

Brain Surgeons hack-away at unsuspecting folk's grey matter and wear gloves.

I wear gloves all the time at work. The clean up and less hand and finger injury is well worth the 'inconvenience'.

Avoid the pish that have armour. The armour will get on your tits.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:12 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve used Wurth nitrile gloves, pretty good but sharp objects will tear.
Alternatively you could wear barrier cream, rub it in, or use the orange hand cleaner as a barrier cream and hands wash off really well when applying a bit more when rinsing .
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 248 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1