Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Riding a 200hp+ monster

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

jdwhittaker
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:21 - 27 Jul 2019    Post subject: Riding a 200hp+ monster Reply with quote

Ive been riding since April and have my Mod 2 on Thursday, so fingers crossed. Before you put the thread title and first sentence together and get 2+2=5 though, im not asking should i get a 200hp bike as my first bike. Nah that would be pure insanity, i'd like to think im a bit more sensible than that and i have an order in on a Z650.

I was just wondering, ive been learning on an ER-6n and the Z650 has something like 69hp. What in the world does it feel like to ride something with 200hp+, does it just melt your face off? Even the old ER-6n im learning on has more acceleration than any car ive owned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:24 - 27 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Riding a 200hp+ monster Reply with quote

jdwhittaker wrote:
What in the world does it feel like to ride something with 200hp+, does it just melt your face off? .

No, it does a wheelie first THEN melts your face off.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:20 - 27 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get to a certain speed for every MPH more you want the increase in BHP needed in order to get it
is increasingly more disproportionate. This is because air eventually becomes soup. Then the faster you go the thicker
it gets and the more ponies you need to push you through it.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 27 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're in charge of clutch / throttle.

My Z1000 has 140hp and is no more scary to ride than my old CB500 that had 48 asthmatic horses.

A YBR125 with 10bhp will have you sat on the floor looking like a tit if are ham fisted with the clutch / throttle.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:43 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many, over the counter, 200bhp 'Production' motorcycles are there? Does the Kawaski H1R have that much? The BMW S1000 'just' claims that much in Euro-Freindly pit ponies, but, all in? FEW bikes claim much over 100bhp, and the majority (cos they is 125's and of them, mostly scooters!) around 10bhp, certainly under EU A1 licence limit 15bhp, and of the rest, perhaps 75bhp or so.

Anyway; redundant question, and counting chickens; You have to pass tests before anthing with more than 15bhp may be possibility, and after that, a) peak power is just that, a number that looks impressive in the brochure b) throttle goes both ways, c) what amy BHP gfeels like very much depends on what its in... a 3bhp moped at 20mph can be as or more scary than a 120bhp tourer, at 100.. its all relative and circumstancial...

Here and now the important thing is not what it may feel like, its going and passing them tests! Worry about that, and dont sweat the small stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:07 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Riding a 200hp+ monster Reply with quote

jdwhittaker wrote:
Ive been riding since April and have my Mod 2 on Thursday

1. Buy this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233245977393

2. Make friends with these people: https://straightliners.events

3. ???

4. Big success.

Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:41 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Re: Riding a 200hp+ monster Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
jdwhittaker wrote:
Ive been riding since April and have my Mod 2 on Thursday

1. Buy this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233245977393

2. Make friends with these people: https://straightliners.events

3. ???

4. Big success.

Thumbs Up

No, get this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-07-SUZUKI-GSX1300R-HAYABUSA-37000-MILES-SPIDERMAN-BODYKIT-REGAL-SUPERBIKES/352636412650?hash=item521ac4a2ea:g:z8UAAOSw68hcqLS5

Mucho cool 16 year old puller Wink

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/z/9VwAAOSwjR9c5Cm2/$_86.JPG

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:03 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm... and there's a compartment under the seat to keep your Haribos Wink

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 28 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

More important than peak power is gearing and power curve.

My ER6 was more interesting to ride than my Hornet, despite being 30+% down on power. More torque at lower revs.

My SH300s have all been faster in practice through the city than any of my big bikes. That's about maneuverability and decent acceleration (nowhere near a big bike, but much better than a 125 and faster than 75% of cars).

My Brutale has short gears (i.e. it's geared for wheel torque) and fairly flat curve, which means it pulls pretty hard once above idle. First time I rode it I thought I was going to flip it, since you sit up quite vertical on it. Did accidental wheelies off the first few traffic lights. Got into the habit of not slipping the clutch, exact opposite of ER6 or especially the Hornet.

My Hornet is dull as ditchwater. It has some peaky power, but you need to rev the nuts off the bike to find it, wherein everything is vibrating in a numbing way.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 29 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 30bhp YBR 125 would feel far more terrifying than a 200kg 200bhp bike. Power to weight is what you feel on a bike, not power. A short geared 450cc competition supermoto would also feel far more exciting and scary than a long low 350bhp Sports tourer with extended swing arm and geared for the moon straight line set up.

Also remember power delivery not power. Something very aggressive and snappy off the bottom with huge low down shove will generally feel far more scary and faster than something that's tuned to make a huge rush of power near the red line, and maybe something with little flywheel weight etc.

Lastly off topic a bit, but say a modern 200bhp litre bike, well if it has say 85ibft, but then another litre bike has 150bhp and 85ibft, assuming weight is the same, the less powerful bike will feel more urgent generally. If the 150bhp bike has a cable operated throttle and no fancy electronics or rider aids, then again it'll feel far more immediate and exciting.

Oh and double your 200bhp litre bike to a 400bhp litre bike and for road use it'll feel comparatively as flat as a fart. Much more power for the same cc never feels faster on the road and in normal situations.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
grossopadlock This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

jdwhittaker
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:13 - 01 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i passed my Mod2 today with 1 minor fault. Well chuffed, the Z650 should be ready for pickup tomorow. Excited.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:48 - 01 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! Did mine just recently and got 4 minors Whistle
Evotion This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 248 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1