Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Struggling with Mod 1

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

NeoCafeChick
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:14 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Struggling with Mod 1 Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I’m new to biking after deciding a few months ago to go for it in my early 40s. I used a ride a twist and go 100cc about 15 years ago so do have some experience of riding two wheels (used to commute 30 miles a day for about a year) but not any geared bikes.
So back in June I passed my theory and did my CBT which I thoroughly enjoyed. I’ve since been learning on a 650cc and getting loads of road riding including to and from the test centre which is around an hour each way.
I feel pretty confident with my riding out on the roads however on the Mod 1 I struggle with my U-turns (too slow, putting foot down or panicking and dropping the bike) and getting to speed on my avoidance. I’ve had two tests within a month (the second being this morning) and failed both. I know with practice I can get to speed on the fast manoeuvres however I get a complete mental block about the U-turns, I just seem to be afraid of going a bit faster to keep more stability.
My first Mod 1 I would have passed if I’d reached speed on the emergency stop (had to finish the test early as didn’t meet speed on second attempt and ironically did U-turn OK with one minor). The second test today was foot down due to loss of stability (which was a fail) then didn’t meet speed on avoidance. I know I’m a reasonable rider but lack confidence on just a few manoeuvres. However to get practice in costs me £90 a time for a three hour slot and is becoming expensive. My husband is doing his Mod 1 early next month and will hopefully pass followed closely by his Mod 2. He has experience from years ago of bigger bikes which was clearly seen on his CBT apparently. Being male he also (in my personal opinion) more fearless and likely to pass due to having more confidence.
I’m thinking of buying a cheap but decent 125cc geared bike to build my confidence on the road and practice manoeuvres or my husband has suggested I borrow his bike once he’s passed to practice all the slow stuff on a private car park somewhere.
Just really want some advice on how to get past this Mod 1 hump without throwing what feels like money out the window.
Many thanks in advance all Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:31 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no substitute for practise, though if you don't have a bike or a can borrow someone's you have to pay for training.

Sounds like borrowing your husbands bike for a few sessions down a quiet industrial estate is a good plan, providing it's got some crash protection.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, mental block on U-turn gets ppl every time, so said my instructor.

Firstly, can you zig zag the cones? Can you do the figure of 8? As was pointed out to me: after really nailing the figure of 8 you're turning in about 5 metres! But then you don't have that white line made of land mines in your view Wink

You should already be doing this but practice doing U-turns on a metre or so less width than the real test. The key is you should be able to turn the bike on full lock at a reasonable speed. It doesn't seem possible but you need shift your body weight and remember to keep your head up! not eyeballing the approaching white line Smile

With regards to the speed manoeuvres for me it was trusting the bike's abilities - particularly braking. Knowing the bike can stop in a surprisingly short distance would, I hope, instil some confidence.

Depending on the type of bike you'll probably be ramping up to >30mph in 2nd gear. Listen to the revs, don't look at the clocks! "I need to get it this loud to be fast enough..." that sort of thing.

Finally the swerve: I've mentioned this before but if you don't mind cheating a bit there's nowhere that says you have to ride through the dead centre of the box before the swerve - you can hug one side and then you only have to flick the bike out a little bit Very Happy

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
The key is you should be able to turn the bike on full lock at a reasonable speed.

Bollocks. That's a very difficult thing to do and you certainly don't need to be able to do it to get a bike to u-turn in the space prescribed by mod 1 dimensions.

Riding a bike with the bars on full lock i.e. against the stop takes some doing not least because there's nowhere left to go, and even 10mm more of bar turn can feel like a LOT more when you're making a tight, slow manoeuvrer. If you suddenly feel the bars go full lock and thus butt up against the stop, it can be extremely difficult to keep from dabbing your foot down, particularly if you haven't anticipated the bars reaching their full amount of steer.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Evotion This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:38 - 16 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice was what got me through it.

I fluffed a mod 1, literally at the beginning putting a foot down on the cone slalom entirely due to nerves (I never fluffed this in training). Then I practiced the hell out of everything. A big bike would be best but I had a 125cc brought some sturdy coloured paper cups and spent a ridiculous amount of time practicing in empty car parks.

On the 125 I did everything in a lot less space, for example three standard UK parking lot spaces is 7.2 meters the Mod 1 u-turn is 7.5 meters, I got to where I could u-turn in two parking spaces consistently on a 125.

Eventually everything on the Mod 1 becomes ridiculously huge to the point where in my pretest practice I had to make sure that I was actually finishing somewhere near the line on opposite side rather than feet away from it. You don't need full lock or anything near it, just practiced consistent speed, proper head turn etc.

Some would say this was overkill, but I turned it into a game and had fun, even managed to u-turn my Bandit within two spaces first time after my son challenged me (which was hard!) after I had got my licence.

The problem for me with practicing on paid lessons was the expense, once I had the feedback from the instructor I knew what I needed to do but I need to do it again and again and again and again .... to remove all chance of failure due to test nerves and that is expensive if you are paying for it.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:43 - 16 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
The key is you should be able to turn the bike on full lock at a reasonable speed.

Bollocks. That's a very difficult thing to do and you certainly don't need to be able to do it to get a bike to u-turn in the space prescribed by mod 1 dimensions.

Riding a bike with the bars on full lock i.e. against the stop takes some doing not least because there's nowhere left to go, and even 10mm more of bar turn can feel like a LOT more when you're making a tight, slow manoeuvrer. If you suddenly feel the bars go full lock and thus butt up against the stop, it can be extremely difficult to keep from dabbing your foot down, particularly if you haven't anticipated the bars reaching their full amount of steer.

Ah, I misspoke. I didn't mean one needed full lock to do the U-turn rather that once you've got to that you can tackle anything. Thanks for pointing out my mistake Thumbs Up

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:55 - 16 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where being able to practice in your own time makes a big difference. I had a 125 so I used to do loads of U-turn and figure 8 practice in the unused bit of a local supermarket car park. I made it a habit any time I passed the supermarket to go and do some practice. By the time I dud MOD 1 it was no problem in fact I passed it twice (another story).

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:42 - 17 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

You can manage full lock quite safely but you need to overcome two things.

1) the knowledge that you can't turn tighter because thats how you instictively prevent the bike from tipping over into the corner.
2) not shuttiung the throttle when on full lock. You need to do the exact opposite to control it when you can't tighten the steering any further. Opening the throttle stands the bike up.

hawkeyefxr
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:36 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: U turn ij CBT Reply with quote

To get the silly stuff out the way, when i took my test in the late 60's we did not have to do the stuff you do now. You went straight into the test, cost £1.00 Car and Bike tests. You could ride up to a 250cc on a provisional license and i'88 admit there was not many 250's that could get to 70mph.
The examiner was on foot and he told you to ride to a point and "make you bike safe". This involved putting the bike on a centre stand and turning the petrol off. After that i lost the examiner, he told me to turn left and i turned right (stress), at the end of the test, 45mins, i passed lol.

Back to the U turn, a friend of mine has failed it twice, he said you had 6 metres to do it in, it does seem a tad small in my opinion. I know they are looking for bike stability. The times you would do a complete U turn while riding along must be extremely small indeed. I would always stop look behind then do you Uee. I don't know what a 650 weighs these days but going by the old Bonny's it would be quite easy.

I dare say i will be shot down on this post but i would say ride, ride, ride it all comes to you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't practice less than the prescribed 7.5 metre gap. 3parking bays in a normal car park. If you can get use of a bike, go to an empty car park and just u turn and ride slowly until you're happy with it. Don't look at the floor, pick a focal point that keeps you looking where you are going. When you mess it up, forget about it, have a breather and reset. You won't get better whilst dwelling on why you can't do it.

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:37 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you have more or less surmised, its primarily confidence rather than technique that are the obstacles in MOD1. You know you can do it, you’ve no doubt nailed the process numerous times before the actual test.

Confidence is much harder to learn from posts on a forum. I was terrified during both my MOD1 and 2, despite having done numerous successful mock tests before hand.

A couple of points that helped me:

One was a technique thing, which was not only to look where you want to go, but to keep your chin right up. It’s really easy for your gaze to drop to the ground during slow manoeuvres (I want to go over there to that bit of tarmac!), but this causes wobbles. Keep your chin up and look into the horizon at a point you want to head to instead.

The other thing, which was more confidence orientated was that even if I was unsure of my own abilities I was always confident that the bike could easily perform any of the tasks asked of it. It was a subtle distinction, but it makes everything less daunting to be able to say to yourself “sod it, just point the sodding thing where it needs to go and let it sort the rest out”. Obviously, take this one with a dose of perspective and common sense.

F18
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:46 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Bollocks. That's a very difficult thing to do and you certainly don't need to be able to do it to get a bike to u-turn in the space prescribed by mod 1 dimensions. ....

You said what I was thinking as soon as I read that.

NCC.
Have a look over youtube. There are lots of people doing 'motorcycle gymkhana' that show, albeit extremes, bike control and what can be done on a bike. You'll pick up something off those. There is also a lot of generic 'how to ride' vids, a few of which are quite useful. But the best I've seen was someone demonstrating how leaning a bike was the key to manoeuvring around a garage/paddock (lean more, turn less).
For the U turns, whilst 'tricky' and I'll admit I've done mod nothing (old skool), I'd have expected any mod/x tutor to be able to teach it - maybe you need a different riding school/trainer.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:40 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

what bike is it? I found on the manouevres it was much easier using a bike which you could slip the clutch and the bike will move by itself without throttle, think I did mine on a CBF600 which did this, the other bike was some sort of 600 yamaha or kawasaki which you needed to balance the throttle and clutch which made it more difficult,perhaps you could ask to do it on a bike with enough power to slip on clutch only? otherwise just make sure you keep the revs up and slip whilst lightly dragging rear brake if needed

Smada76
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:42 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Struggling with Mod 1 Reply with quote

NeoCafeChick wrote:
Hi everyone,
I’m new to biking after deciding a few months ago to go for it in my early 40s. I used a ride a twist and go 100cc about 15 years ago so do have some experience of riding two wheels (used to commute 30 miles a day for about a year) but not any geared bikes.
So back in June I passed my theory and did my CBT which I thoroughly enjoyed. I’ve since been learning on a 650cc and getting loads of road riding including to and from the test centre which is around an hour each way.
I feel pretty confident with my riding out on the roads however on the Mod 1 I struggle with my U-turns (too slow, putting foot down or panicking and dropping the bike) and getting to speed on my avoidance. I’ve had two tests within a month (the second being this morning) and failed both. I know with practice I can get to speed on the fast manoeuvres however I get a complete mental block about the U-turns, I just seem to be afraid of going a bit faster to keep more stability.
My first Mod 1 I would have passed if I’d reached speed on the emergency stop (had to finish the test early as didn’t meet speed on second attempt and ironically did U-turn OK with one minor). The second test today was foot down due to loss of stability (which was a fail) then didn’t meet speed on avoidance. I know I’m a reasonable rider but lack confidence on just a few manoeuvres. However to get practice in costs me £90 a time for a three hour slot and is becoming expensive. My husband is doing his Mod 1 early next month and will hopefully pass followed closely by his Mod 2. He has experience from years ago of bigger bikes which was clearly seen on his CBT apparently. Being male he also (in my personal opinion) more fearless and likely to pass due to having more confidence.
I’m thinking of buying a cheap but decent 125cc geared bike to build my confidence on the road and practice manoeuvres or my husband has suggested I borrow his bike once he’s passed to practice all the slow stuff on a private car park somewhere.
Just really want some advice on how to get past this Mod 1 hump without throwing what feels like money out the window.
Many thanks in advance all Smile

Have you managed to get through the Mod 1 yet? I passed mine recently, but found it much more difficult than the Mod2 tbh (3 faults on the Mod 1, clean sheet on the Mod 2). I also did not get up sufficient speed on the speed avoidance or emergency stop elements the first time, but just made sure I went quicker the second time! Annoying thing was that I nailed it in practice right from the start. Does your riding school offer a practice on an actual Mod 1 course? The school I used hired the actual one that I took my test on prior to my test, which really helped and gave me the confidence I needed. As for getting a 125 to practice on, I did this and rode for a few months, but think that this only really helped with the Mod2 element of the test as doing the manoeuvres on a 650 are very different from doing them on a 125 (if you think about it you had to do u-turns, figure of 8, emergency stop and slalom for your CBT).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 220 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1