Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Best budget Motorcycle that’s better than a GPZ500s?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Scaramoosh
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:29 - 16 Aug 2019    Post subject: Best budget Motorcycle that’s better than a GPZ500s? Reply with quote

I’ve finally paid my Finance off my ZX10R after having my crash two years ago. So I’m looking to get a new Bike on Finance, but I don’t want to get stuck again paying off so much money. So I want to get something in the £5000 range, but it’s hard to find anything good there that’s new or an ex Demo that is almost new.

The Ninja 400 looks good, but it’s quite slow, my GPZ will probably still be faster. Other than that I cannot find much, I’d really like something with a bit more power. I’m not really fussy about the type, I’m only using it for commuting. A 600 is probably a great balance, but they’re all just too expensive.

Thanks.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:41 - 16 Aug 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

MT07?

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 16 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triumph Street Triple easy

Kyle.
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:13 - 16 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBR650F Had one as my first bike and loved it, sporty commuter and within price

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 16 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV650 maybe, good suggestions already.
Bikes below 600cc are rather sparse, consider an older 600ish if need be to keep within budget.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:23 - 16 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

5K you can probably get the majority of the second hand market.

If you meant £500, then its more a case of what comes up in that budget in good nick, than being set on a specific model.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 16 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

£5000 of someone elses money is a lot. What do you actually have saved?

In regards to your question: just about anything?

Half of that figure would give you a lot of wiggle room on the second hand market.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:49 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

V-Strom 650

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 25 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you looking to buy an almost-new ex-Demo or equivalent if you're only commuting on it? Commuting will just age the bike so much faster.

If you want something reliable, buy an older common 600 with lots of spares. That's what I did with my Hornet. I only commute on my Brutale on sunny dry days, and even then only when I'm in the mood. It's a hard bike to ride slowly.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:26 - 25 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 grand but nearly new? Hmm, is there much that fits that category? Bit limiting I'd have thought. Go a bit more used, but well looked after, and as DRZ said, Street Triple. Loads of fun, but useable every day.

Except that it would be wasted on commuting. What's your commute like?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:09 - 25 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a 650 Royal Enfield twin.

Someone's got to start the second hand market Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 25 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see OP's point though, and while I know inflation is a real thing, isn't it sad that you can't buy a new or say low mileage nearly new dealer bike over 125cc for 5 large today?

In these times of zero technological development, (steel framed pretend ZXR and CBR's) then it grates even further. I wouldn't expect rider modes, fully adjustable Ohlins, variable valve timing and rider aids for £5k, but I'd expect a new bike of some description in the 400-500cc area if I so wanted one. Ain't that not asking the earth?

You can't come the old pony and say bikes cost that much because they have to meet Euro 4regs and that's why you must pay £7k for a budget bike. It does not cost that much extra to get a clean tail pipe or slap on a few reflectors or a daft long plastic number plate holder etc.

I'm not here to solve OP's problem, but if I had £5k and for some reason wanted a nearly new bike for the sole purpose of commuting, then saying I could pick up a 20year old low mileage 600cc sports bike for better value and less cash, would not be an acceptable solution.

You can see why motorbikes and new bike sales are an old man's game now, as apart from the disinterest generally of young people, no one other than the mortgage free kids grown up sector has got the £20k required to walk into a dealer and pick out the machine they like the look of most to take home with them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:15 - 25 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV650.
Upgrade the suspension.

Still loads of money left to spend on coke n whores n trackdays.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 25 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with you that there's nothing essentially wrong with a bike like an SV650 other than fashionable love to hate opinion.

But OP might be tea total, not like dirty filthy wild sex, and prefer hiking in the countryside at weekends instead of ragging the arse off a bike on race tracks. So therefore the second part of your suggestion might be pretty poor advice?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:41 - 25 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
So therefore the second part of your suggestion might be pretty poor advice?

I'd suggest it's the best part Shifty
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 25 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better than GPz500? How about GPz550? Thinking Razz

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 25 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Royal Enfield 650 . Absolutely lovely bike to ride. 3000 in under 3 months not a single issue. Oh, that's not quite true,when I'm back off holiday front disk is being replaced under warranty, to be fair, I never even noticed that there was a problem, but it's just very slightly warped.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 25 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Better than GPz500? How about GPz550? Thinking Razz

Yeah, but can't think of any museums having a clear-out.

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:04 - 26 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you take out the appropriate insurance so if you crash this one your not left paying it off.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:21 - 26 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you said you're after a new bike, but I can't see the use of getting into another finance agreement. Are the new ones really so much better? You can get a lot of bike for well under £5K if you're open to the used market. Older, lowish-mileage ZX6Rs are very cheap at the moment. They will easily outperform your GPZ500S. The usual caveats apply: avoid track bikes, look out for the usual neglect, etc. Sort out all the niggles and you'll have a fast and reliable bike for not much money.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 26 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is say a typical 98 ZX6R a much better and far superior everyday bike than a 2019 Honda CBR500 or similar? And if so what makes a 20year old 600 a better commuter or just better bike overall?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:14 - 26 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the OP require a bike that has any fun potential? Is it just for transport, pure and simple? We can all suggest bikes until we go blue in the face, but it'd help if we knew a bit more about what he wants from a bike - I do get the impression it is purely for a workhorse. Might even be able to find a decent nick Divvy 900 in that case.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 26 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Is say a typical 98 ZX6R a much better and far superior everyday bike than a 2019 Honda CBR500 or similar? And if so what makes a 20year old 600 a better commuter or just better bike overall?

Well, it's all subjective really (apart from the price). Both bikes can be used as commuters, but the CBR500 may be a bit more upright (not sure). Honda obviously know what they're doing when it comes to bike design, and so do Kawasaki, so the Honda will probably be a good commuter and the Kawasaki will definitely be an exciting sports 600 (if it's working properly). The ZX6R will go like something off a shovel - it will really GO when you feel adventurous, and it has a dyed-in-the-wool 90s sportsbike feeling (shape of the tank, frame geometry, etc.) and has a sort of purity. For that reason, as well as the price, I would favour an older sportsbike over a newer all-round commuter. Ride them hard, maintain them properly, and get the full 100K miles out of them, as the Japanese intended. However, I am guilty of serial infatuation when it comes to bikes. One day I want a 90s/early 2000s Ninja, the next day I want a 70s R80. All the desirable bikes from the old days (except the 70s rock stars e.g. Z1, Suzuki kettle, etc.) are accessible now.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 27 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
..loads of money left to spend on coke n whores n trackdays.

I becoming increasingly of the opinion, following the exit of my needy, greedy wife, that money spent on whores, on balance, is probably money well spent. Not taken the plunge just yet you understand but it may only be a matter of time..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

AndrewJDC
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:38 - 30 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Howling Terror wrote:
..loads of money left to spend on coke n whores n trackdays.

I becoming increasingly of the opinion, following the exit of my needy, greedy wife, that money spent on whores, on balance, is probably money well spent. Not taken the plunge just yet you understand but it may only be a matter of time..

Gotta take a paid plunge in the clunge good sir. You're paying for it one way or another as you seem to have recognised, even if the directness of the transaction varies.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 239 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1